Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted this in the "what I did today thread" but it was suggested that I post this in its own thread so its easier for people to find if interested in doing the same mod.

Of course this is barely a Triumph post now as the only things on my front end from Triumph are the triple tress and most of the fender :D... but anyway for those who are interested.... This conversion is applicable to those of you who have either gone the Kawa route, or have converted over to use a non-classic T3 front end.

---------------------------------

I took off the Tokico six pots and fitted up some radial monoblocks from an 07 R6, also swapped to 320mm rotors from a ZZR1200 at the same time.

Before (from an old 2005 construction shot)

Parts added:

Billet adapter brackets from a chappie on ebay (in Taiwan) who seems to have a good reputation for this stuff on the ZRX forums. Rotors I already had from the purchase of my ZZR wheels back in 2005. Calipers came from ebay with a claimed 24 miles on them!

After:

I have yet to try it on the road, (hope to do that tomorrow or tonight) but first impressions are that the lever is very firm and the brakes seem to come on very quickly with very little pressure. Have also saved a good few pounds on the calipers.

Will try and post a better after picture soon...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Mick,

What's the advantage of the radial monoblocks?

Other then the weight savings, and the looking cool... :D

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Low drag and fast response. They also wont flex against the fork mounting lugs in the same way as regular calipers.

then there is the look cool and "because I could" factor :D;)

·
Registered
394 Posts
then there is the look cool and "because I could" factor :D;)
Works for me... might have to copy your (again...) this winter :)

Though what I really want (purely for bling factor, frankly) is a floating wave rotor. I'm relatively certain there's a kawa 320mm out there somewhere that will mount to the stock hub, I just have to track it down

cheers,

~crosstie

·
Registered
151 Posts
Looks really nice!

I use the old R1 calipers on my Yamma Café-Racer, and the stopping power is fantastic.

A mile from my old 2 pistons calipers

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update

Finally got time to fit a new set of EBC HH pads to replace the re-cycled ones that came with the calipers, and went out for a 100mile spin to bed them in and test them out.

All I can say is................. WOOT!

Most excellent feel (even though I originally had some doubts about the larger GSXR radial m/c), low drag, really great stopping power.
:D:D:D all the way

1 - 6 of 6 Posts