Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep thinking I aught to get some rad protectors for my '07 Sprint. You know, the grille things. I hear the justification and it sounds reasonable, but has anyone actually ever had anything pierce their ST rad ? What's your views about fitting these ?

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I also want to get one, however, if it aids any more cr4-p in adhering to and being caught around my radiator, then I would think again.:(

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you go to a construction material yard and ask for a sheet of "High rib expanded lath" you should get what you need. Its lighter than straightforward expanded metal but the ribs give it a structural strength. If you do use it, pull off the paper backing and instal it with the ribs facing outward, (so the high parts are pointed toward the front of the bike. A sheet shold only be $5 or so and will give you enought to make multiple applications.

M

·
Registered
322 Posts
Im using aluminum-window screening. Yup, basic stuff you can buy from a hardware store. Attach it side-to side from front fairings. It gets beat up, just replace w/new piece.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I find a fender extender keeps most of the c--p off the radiator and anything flung off the front wheel but it obviously won't protect against a determined flying stone.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Radguard

Radguard here in Australia make a very sturdy rad and oil cooler protector I have one on my '04 Sprint.

http://www.radguard.com.au/

The RadGuard has a frame and is much stronger than the zip tie mounted no frame grilles made by Mikes Grilles.

RadGuard is framed and bolts on using existing bolt holes etc, mine has several large dents in it from stones and road debri that would have caused rad failure.

[URL="http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbums/showphoto.php/photo/9127"][/URL]

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
764 Posts
has anyone actually ever had anything pierce their ST rad ? What's your views about fitting these ?
Mine was not pierced but it certainly had a big ding in it that bent some of the fins.

It is insurance, rather have them fitted than be the dumb bastard on the side of the road with a leaking radiator or oil cooler wishing that they had fitted them.::(

I recommend that you also fit some rubber stoppers to the mesh to hold the rad guards off the fins. This provides a little more impact resistance and eliminates vibrations coming from the mesh flapping around. Must be a good idea because Yamaha do this standard on the bikes.Don't understand why Triumph didn't fit these as standard apart from them trying to save a buck.:rolleyes:

This subject has been addressed in a previous thread

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/84439-rad-guard-radiator-protector.html

Here is a pic of my homemade Ralphguards in blue

·
Registered
53 Posts
Another Happy RadGuard Customer

While trying not to sound like their "Number One Fan"........

I have also fitted the RadGuards to my bike. I would say that the customer service I received from the opposite side of the world was some of the best I've ever had in regards to an online purchase.

Additionally, I'm on the weak end of the 'mechanically inclined' spectrum, and was able to fit the two pieces with relative ease.

Lastly, fit and finish were outstanding. I've actually told my dealer they should stock these things - one look and it'd be hard not to spring for the piece of mind these deliver (while remaining inconspicuous).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts