Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just thought id share a few pics of the Rad and oil cooler cover ive made.
in all cost about £8 for the stainless mesh. the stainless sheet came out of a skip;)

Bit cheeper than buying a proper one:)

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Nutter,

It looks great :)

Any welding involved, how did you get the bends done, and does the bike run any hotter ??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya graeme, the bends were done using a 4" vice and then using a couple of pieces of angle iron to create a longer edge to fold the plate down onto.
Then i used another thick piece of plate , held onto the stainless then tapped it allong the lenth with a hammer , just a bit at a time so i didnt get any kinks.
No welding involved. i made a template out of card first to get all the mounting points right.
i ran the bike through summer and didnt notice any overheating.
Initially i cut the middle out of the radiator section as a union jack but then my thought this would reduce the air flow through the grill too much.
The stainless grill is off Flee bay.
If i could get some more stainless at the right price i would concider making some more. anyone interested?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
They look good - I've had a bit of expanded aluminium in the garage for yonks to do the same thing (although probably nowhere near as elegant). Perhaps I'll get my finger out this year......

·
Registered
724 Posts
Good to see you guys in Sheffield are still turning out quality stainless stuff, and no fear of the front end washing out with that fitted;).
How is the grill secured in the frame work??

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nicely done, looks as sharp as the Touratech guards. I've wanted to try doing something similar myself, looks like a good project for the winter. Thanks for the pics and tips!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The grill is fixed on the other side by strips of NO-Nails double sided outdoor adhesive tape, may sound a bit girly but this stuff sticks anything to anything and so far things havnt moved.
With there being such a large surface area of contact i cant see there being any problem.
Ive run it through the hottest our summer has to offer all with no ill effect.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Those guards look pretty cool, I was thinking of getting something to make my own but I am wondering............................does any of the rubbish thrown up by the wheel gather behind them?

Andy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive not seen any crap caught behind the guards, in fact the fronts have stayed suprisingly clean, however i also made a fenda extenda, which is bound to help things.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hey Nutter !! nice job, been thinkin about this for a while, just never got round to it.
+1 for the mudflap, i think it was my first mod not long after i bought me Tigger !!

handbuilt is the best !!

KK

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
handbuilt is the best !!
Ill second that.
just wait till you see my tool tube;)
Made from an ex mod 81mm mortar shell transport case:cool:
Just cut it down by 100mm and got the bracket to make.
Then ive got a beefed up sump guard to make. Gonna mount that on frame fixed to the centre stand brackets then up to the front, exact details arnt finalised yet,but i could do with finding someone to weld Alluminium and cheap;)
Ill keep ya posted

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im finding it dificult to get a good price for some stainless sheet. Ill keep looking and if i find some ill knock a couple up int shed.The missus loves it when ive got things to make, keeps me out of her way:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts