Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running the Racetech [Or any other cartridge emulators] with the stock fork springs? The reason I ask is that the spring rate on my Bonneville seems fine to me, I just want to upgrade the dampening.

My plan was to go with the emulators, stock springs, drill out the damper rods, cut the spacers by whatever thickness the emulators are and run maybe a 20wt fork oil.

Does that sound out of line?

For what it's worth I'm running the Progressive 412's on the back in the Thruxton length.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you run emulators, you will likely need lighter oil unless you drill out the damper rods. The reason for this is that the lighter oil nullifies the rod dampers in your forks and allows the emulators to take over damping duty, which is why you're installing them. I would go with Race Tech's recommendation on this.

I used Ricor's emulators in my bike and am very happy with the improvement. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you run emulators, you will likely need lighter oil unless you drill out the damper rods. The reason for this is that the lighter oil nullifies the rod dampers in your forks and allows the emulators to take over damping duty, which is why you're installing them. I would go with Race Tech's recommendation on this.

I used Ricor's emulators in my bike and am very happy with the improvement. Good luck.
"My plan was to go with the emulators, stock springs, drill out the damper rods, cut the spacers by whatever thickness the emulators are and run maybe a 20wt fork oil." :D

I will check out the recommendations about the fork oil though...

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that thread link. I had already read that, but unfortunately the guy that started the thread about using the Ricors and the stock springs, never posted anything to the thread about his impressions of riding the bike after the installation... :rolleyes:

"I installed mine Sunday but have NOT road-tested yet."

Hopefully someone will post up on this thread their actual riding impressions of the Race Tech's and stock springs, what oil weight they used, what level of oil, how much they cut their spacers, etc...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hopefully someone will post up on this thread their actual riding impressions of the Race Tech's and stock springs, what oil weight they used, what level of oil, how much they cut their spacers, etc...
OK, here's mine........

I installed Ricors (no drilling required). Night and day difference. My very first impression was that the bike felt like it had lost 100lb and much more flickable (I know this doesn't make sense, but that's what it felt like). Brake dive is very much reduced and allows more brake to be put down on the road. The bike seems to float over road imperfections and larger bumps are handled easily. Tracking tendency has virtually gone and it's much more composed in corners (and I still have the stock tyres). One difference from you is that I also installed Race Tech fixed rate springs (0.9KG/mm compared to stock 0.72KG/mm). Oh, and I even still have the stock rear "pogo sticks" (I'm still deciding on which way to go with those).

As far as set up, I cut spacers to keep the same overall length as stock and used stock oil height. Oil was 5W as per Ricor's recommendation.

All in all, this is easily the best modification I have done.

Hope this helps.

Richard

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, here's mine........

I installed Ricors (no drilling required). Night and day difference. My very first impression was that the bike felt like it had lost 100lb and much more flickable (I know this doesn't make sense, but that's what it felt like). Brake dive is very much reduced and allows more brake to be put down on the road. The bike seems to float over road imperfections and larger bumps are handled easily. Tracking tendency has virtually gone and it's much more composed in corners (and I still have the stock tyres). One difference from you is that I also installed Race Tech fixed rate springs (0.9KG/mm compared to stock 0.72KG/mm). Oh, and I even still have the stock rear "pogo sticks" (I'm still deciding on which way to go with those).

As far as set up, I cut spacers to keep the same overall length as stock and used stock oil height. Oil was 5W as per Ricor's recommendation.

All in all, this is easily the best modification I have done.

Hope this helps.

Richard
Thanks for that... :D

Apparently the set-up is quite different for the Ricor's vs the Race Tech's, which is what I have sitting on my desk. With the Race Techs you drill the hell out of the damper rods [ 6 - 8mm holes?] and pretty much take them out of the dampening equasion. I think some of the guys on the SV650 forum [Same 41mm forks as ours.] using the Race Tech's are using as high as a 25 wt oil.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thanks for that... :D

Apparently the set-up is quite different for the Ricor's vs the Race Tech's, which is what I have sitting on my desk. With the Race Techs you drill the hell out of the damper rods [ 6 - 8mm holes?] and pretty much take them out of the dampening equasion. I think some of the guys on the SV650 forum [Same 41mm forks as ours.] using the Race Tech's are using as high as a 25 wt oil.
The end result using the Race Tech emulators will be similar to Ricors, so go ahead and drill out those damper tubes. Don't worry about going back to stock, because there is no way you will want to once you've ridden your bike with them in. Go for it and enjoy!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My buddy and I put Race Tech liner springs, gold emulator valves and 15W oil in my 04 Bonnie last weekend and its a brilliant improvement. We'd previously put them into our BMW F800R's. The Bonnie took twice as long as the Beemas, whole job took 4 hrs. First we winched the Bonnie and removed the forks.

The first problem was getting the dampening rod bolt out as it kept spinning inside the fork. Resorted to the rattle gun and that sorted it.

With the dampening rod bolt out we drained some pretty filthy oil out of the forks.

Then it was pretty straight forward, removing the fork cap, spacer, washer, spring, and dampening rod.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Part Two

This is the race tech spring on top, and the Triumph spring below.

The Emulator valves and pvc spacers so they fit on the Triumph dampening rods.

The spacers were not cut evenly so we had to file them flat.

Setting the springs on the emulator valves.

Next we had to drill the damper rods.

And clean up the new holes with the dremel

The finished damper rod

·
Registered
22 Posts
Part 3

The race tech line up

note the washer. this was required so the damper rod bolt would grab the damper rod when we refitted the new kit.

Putting the race tech kit in the fork. The order was the small washer, the damper rod, damper rod bolt, the pvc tube, the emulator valve, racetech spring, washer, new spacer and fork cap

·
Registered
22 Posts
Part 4

Measuring and cutting the new spacer

Difference between the old and new springs and spacers. The race tech springs are at the bottom.

Adding the 15W fork oil

measuring the oil levels

and screwing it all back together.

The finished fork.

gets put back on the bike.

Do the same with the other fork and put it all back together.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the post, I have Gold valve kit and GS3 shocks on the way (in build?) so this is timely for me. Was cutting the spacer part of the gold valve process? I installed one about 10 years ago and don't remember anymore.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the post, I have Gold valve kit and GS3 shocks on the way (in build?) so this is timely for me. Was cutting the spacer part of the gold valve process? I installed one about 10 years ago and don't remember anymore.
Yes. The Gold Valve emulator and the new springs were a different size than the stock springs so new spacers have to be measured, cut and fitted.

These are Ian's Tech Notes on the job.

TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE 2004 - FORK NOTES

Pete Gailey 44,035km 28/07/2012

Sag (Measured from axle centre to underside of triple tree)
Original Modified

Unloaded 503 500
Gentle 460
Push 455 465
Sag 46 35

Fork Measurements and Notes

OEM
• Oil level (no spring or spacer) with fork compressed - 130mm down
• Spacer – steel tube 200mm long – washer between spring and spacer
• Spring – OD ? – free length 330mm
• Damper rod 190mm long, 2 holes 4mm dia and one bleeds 2mm dia
• Retaining screw M10 x 1.25 x 18 – 8mm cap screw head
• Copper washer – 10.1mm ID x 15.3mm OD x 1.4mm thick
• Preload 13mm
• Fork set 3mm protrusion above top triple tree

Modified Values
• Oil level (no spring or spacer) with fork compressed - 125mm down
• Fork oil – Motul 15W
• Damper rod – 2 existing holes drilled out to 9.0mm and 2 added 10mm above the existing pair and de-burred
• Bleed hole not modified
• Emulator FEGV S4105 fitted with BLUE spring and 2 turns preload
• Emulator comes with adaptor – PVC pipe 33.4mm OD x 26.3mm ID x 20mm long (fits between damper rod and emulator
• Spring – FRSP S3534 - 34.7mm OD, 0.95kg/mm & free length 340mm
• Alloy tube spacers 31.8mm OD cut to 150mm to give 15mm preload
• One washer fitted between spring and spacer
• Fork set 10mm protrusion above top triple tree

Springs Racetech – FRSP S3534095 - 0.95kg/mm - 34.7mm dia x 340mm long

Emulators Racetech – FEGV S4105 – Setup with Blue preload spring, 2 turns preload and 20mm long adaptor tube

1 - 14 of 14 Posts