Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Next week will be a business milestone for me, so I’ve been waxing nostalgic about how I got to where I am today… motorcycle-wise. And I’m often asked my opinion about styling clues like; to tail tidy or not to tail tidy. Clubman bars or ape hangers. So I thought I’d post a photo of the motorcycle that really started it all for me back in 1973, my Norton Commando. It should give you a clear idea of what I like in a bike, styling-wise.

I had a couple small displacement 2 stroke singles before stepping up to a real road bike. I purchased the bike in 73 from its original owner for $750 who had previously caffed the bike out by nickel-plating the entire chassis and installing the full Dunstall conversion kit. The seller returned it back to stock trim and had all the custom bits (rear sets, clip-on’s, 2-1-2 exhaust) in a box and offered it to me for another $50. Since $750 was all the money I had in the world, I had to pass on the spares. I probably spent another $500 over the years buying similar parts.

The tank was painted a whacky blue Metalflake with a chrome Monza cap. I replaced the mufflers with Dunstall slip-on’s and swapped the stock Amal carbs for Mikuni’s. A Boyer solid state ignition replaced the points & condenser. Red NGK spark plug wires. I ditched the stock air filter for a high-flow K&N and chrome plated the side covers. The stock handlebars were swapped for low rise Super Bars with Tomoselli hand controls and headlight brackets. S&W shocks in the rear. And the tail light? Same exact aluminum Bates style light I sell today. Same kind of mods we’re doing to our bikes today, only 45 years later. You see, some things truly never go out of style.

/M

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I love my Nortons, like you I brought a brand new 850 Commando when I was 17 years old, but I went a differant way in 1980 and covered the 850 into a Wideline Featherbed frame with a hot motor built for the Featherbed and had weight savings from the orginal Commando by about 100 lbs its such a light bike to ride, handles like riding on rail tracks, with a very torcky motor that surprises a lot of moden bikes, I still own this bike after 41 years of ownership, it was a everyday ride till I brought my Thruxton new 4 years ago and now its semi retired just like me, I still love riding it and if I put both bike together in a race I know the Norton would eat the Thruxton, my Norton is also blue, I am building a Slimline Norton Featherbed for my daughter now as caferacer, all she has to do is to learn how to kick start it, she is one lucky girl.

I have pics of the Norton on the Access Norton forum, its my avatar pic and I am under the same user name Ashman, I can't get my photos off my old computer when it died and not sure how to take pics and down load them using the iPad, will need my daughter to do that for me.

Ashley

·
Registered
984 Posts
Racedweeb,

I know the Triumph guys really have appreciated the products you have provided to customize our Bonnevilles, Thruxtions, and Scramblers, etc.

You have stood up behind your products and treated your customers very well.

Thanks from one customers

Justdad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts