Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I started doing trackdays, the stock seating position and throttle travel have been really bugging me. The bars were too high and I had to keep readjusting my hand when going full throttle on straights. Since I didn't want to go balls out and get clip ons, the Raask bars seemed like a good choice. Forgive me for the bad pics...it's about 100 degrees outside and I don't feel like getting better ones right now.

hard to see here, but here is the difference between the R1 throttle and the stock Speed Triple one. One on the right is the R1. I ordered the throttle grip from an 04 R1. Part# 4YR-25240-02, if you're interested. Bikebandit.com has them for $12.71 plus shipping. Fits just like stock. In the limited riding I've done, the throttle looks like it'll do the trick. I barely have to move my hand 5 degrees to get a normal start from a stop sign. Much better.

I'm not sure I'm 100% on the position of the bars yet, but the beauty of these is the adjustability. I'll have to play around with them next Saturday (next trackday). My biggest complaint right now is I feel like the bars are too wide. I'm thinking about just chopping an inch or so off the end of them, but I'll try adjusting them more before going that route.

Feel free to ask any questions. I like the bars so far, and would recommend them. The adjustability is quite amazing. I think if I rotate the bars towards me, I could get a seating position somewhat similar to stock for longer rides.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Neat-O. I had not seen those bars before, I looked them up as I need a new bars these might be the ones :) Did you have to paint them black yourself, I only saw chrome ones?

It looks like you could get all sorts of positions with a little work. Was it easy to make the left and right side the same?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kmannth- i special ordered the black ones...took two weeks to get. i got them from omar's cafe motorcycles www.rearsets.info. pretty good customer service, they answered emails very quickly.

it's pretty easy to get the sides even because the adjusting mechanism has little teeth in them, so its easy to stick them in the same position. here's a closeup:

What clutch perch did you use.

Daytona?

Those bars look really WIIIIIIIIDE.

Are they wider thean stock is is it just an illusion?
yeah, the clutch perch is from a daytona. also ordered from bikebandit for less than $10 if i recall correctly.

i'm with you...the bars do look/feel really wide. i think at the angle they're at now, they're wider than stock by a little bit. i haven't taken any measurements, but i suppose i could. like i said, i'll ride with them as is for now and if it comes down to it, i'm sticking that thing in the bandsaw or chop saw and cutting off some.

·
Super Moderator
22,225 Posts
yeah, the clutch perch is from a daytona. also ordered from bikebandit for less than $10 if i recall correctly. ....
when you say clutch "perch" I assume you're just talking about the clamp, (to eliminate the mirror thread), not the whole perch.

For the throttle, you can also buy a 1/5th insert - do a google on 1/5 throttle insert & you will turn up a ton of results.
What it does is change the rotation angle from 1/4 (90 deg) to 1/5 (72 deg) - makes much easier to get to full throttle without having to rotate your wrist to an uncomfortable angle.

Here's how it installs (& you can also get it from this guy - he's one of members on TLZone, the other bike site I frequent)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rassk Bars

I put those bars on my Buell a couple years back. Although I had them flipped upside down to provide an alternative to clip-on bars. They are super easy to install and provide a wide variety of riding positions. I highly recommend as an alternative.

Nice to see them on the S3

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Wasn't that hot a tip after all. Yes, the throttle fits direct.

The caveat is that the actual throttle grip cam on 1050 is 36.5mm and on the R1 grip it is 37mm. So translated to actual throttle degrees the change is only a few degrees. Not worth the trouble, if it is a quick action throttle one is after.

On the plus side the R1 grip rubber is about 1.5mm thicker than 1050 grip, so it noticeably more comfortable for my orangutan-like hands. And the whole throttle tube + grip was very cheap so I think I'll order the left side grip too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.