Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think we all wondered how it would look, Not bad at all:)
If it was quick releas that would make it perfect for me since most of my riding is local with day trips once in a wile and maby a weekend get-a way with the wifey a few time a year.

The option to quickly remove the extra pounds and drag for the times when its not needed would be awsome:cool:

Thanks for the pics.

Walt

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used the standard rack for the R3T and although I haven’t tried it the quick release should let you take it off in just seconds. I mounted the trunk to a u shape bracket made of ¾ stainless steel tubing and welded a piece of 1/8 stainless plate to the bottom of the tubing and then bolted that plate through the factory rack with a piece of stainless plate under the rack to bolt through. The most important thing is to make sure the saddle bags will open. If anyone wants I can take some pictures to give you some ideas.
Trapper

·
Registered
100 Posts
Must be nice to be handy:confused: guys like me have to pay thrugh the nose :( lol but cool, a few how to snap shot would by great there may be others that could use them as well.

Walt

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looks great Trapper. I was seriously considering the Corbin, but at around $2100 aud to get it out here to Oz, it was bit too much. I reckon the HD sits better than the Corbin anyway. With the quick release it's a winner.

What exactly do you mean when you say you have to "make sure it clears the panniers?". If it sits on the standard rack, wouldn't it either fit all Rocket Tourings or not fit all rocket Tourings ?

ps...what's the rough cost of an HD Tour pack over there ?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Peter

I will get a couple of pictures this weekend. Like they say a picture is worth 1000 words. However what I mean is that the trunk sits over the saddlebags and in order for them to open all the way you can't just bolt the trunk to the rack because it will be to low and the saddlebags won't open all the way. It must be raised up aprox 3/4 of an inch to allow the saddlebags to open all the way. I will try to show you what I mean with the pictures.

Trapper

·
Registered
79 Posts
you can't just bolt the trunk to the rack because it will be to low and the saddlebags won't open all the way.
Hahahahaha. and that's probably exactly what I would have done Trapper. I figured that was what you meant. Look forward to the photos. Can't find any HD trunks out here on EBAY, so I might have to get the Scootworks alternative shipped out to keep the cost reasonable.

Pete

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope these pictures give you a better idea off how I mounted the trunk. I think I need to raise it up about 1/8 of an inch more because the clearance on the saddlebags is so close I think when I put some weight in it they might touch. I did take it off to take the pictures an it was easy.

Trapper

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks very much Trapper. I guess that explains why Corbin have such a tall, butt ugly rack supporting their trunk. Maybe that's why the Corbin's so expensive.....all the R&D and metal that goes into the rack !

Pete

·
Registered
69 Posts
Trunk for the R3

After my first long trip, 5496 miles, I decided I needed a trunk for my 2006 R3 Classic. I mounted a GIVI Monokey to the back of the bike and it works great. The trunk has stop lights pre-installed and a trunk liner, top rack, and passenger back rest are available as options. The universal mount allowed the trunk to be mounted with ease. Hooking up the trunk lights to the bikes' brake light was pretty easy. The trunk can be mounted and removed in less than 10 seconds. The trunk, coupled with Triumph leather bags, give me enough room for everything except the kitchen sink. I looked at Harley trunks but it seemed like all were over $700.00. My R3 was totaled but the trunk survived with a bad case of roadrash! When I got my new R3, I mounted all the accesories from the crashed bike to the new. I love this bike!
T-Rex

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Trapper,

You still around ? I finally got my Scootworks (HD Tourpack imitation)trunk (I won't bore you with why it took so long)....How's the setup going ? Did you have to make any adjustments?

I bought a second sissybar and rack for the mount and am now looking for a suitable tubular frame to lift the trunk above the saddlebags. Since I would not have been able to use the sissybar itself, I cut off the bottoms and used the tube bottoms as the nuts to attach the rack to.

The photos have been really useful, thanks.

Pete

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you look at the pictures at the top of this page I think you can tell that I used the removable sissy bar and carrier rack. I removed the sissy bar replace the bolts with bolts and aircraft nuts and bolted the carrier rack back on and then mounted the trunk to the rack as shown in the picture. The entire assembly then slips on to the factory mounting kit for the sissy bar and rack. The great thing about doing it this way is it is totally removable. If you need pictures or any other info let me know I will be happy to help.
Trapper

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just out of curiosity...if mounting Harley luggage on a Triumph makes it a TROG, would mounting Triumph luggage on a Harley create a HMPH?

:)
I think you’re correct and I am sure that it would streamline that HD and make go just a little faster.
Trapper

1 - 20 of 32 Posts