Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I am seriously looking at the R3T, which i love the style. I have not had a chance to ride one yet. I am looking for a bike to ride up the coast, as well as on the highway and something that i might go on a 4-6 hour ride on occasionally. I dont want to go as big as a goldwing or the victory vision so i have narrowed it down to the R3T and the Victory Kingpin.

Any advice....comments or complaints.

Thanks

darren

also, another question. when did most of the major changes take place on the R3T. ie which is the best year to get if i dont want to buy new?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok valid points. how is the service on these bikes? do they break down often. are they expensive to service. can they only be serviced by triumph dealers.?

thanks

·
Registered
752 Posts
For the R3T, there aren't any changes, as it's only been available for two years now. Same motor and drivetrain as the other Rockets.
The Touring is different enough, but shares most all the mechanicals as the other Rockets.

As for maintenance and 'reliability', mine has almost 12k on it in the six months I've had it. NO issues other than the stock tires. Service is expensive (at least in this area), but it's offset by 10000 miles between services.

Definitely a different bike than the Kingpin. More bike.

·
Registered
761 Posts
The R3T did will the "Battle of the Baggers" last year in the Cycleworld story.

There really is nothing to compare the feeling of all the power you ever need-uphill, downhill, 60 mph headwind, whatever-that the Triumph will provide. You'll also find the windscreen and lowers combo from Triumph is fantastic with no buffeting-at least none reported form the 5 owners I know. That is HUGE and something you must consider. Riding around and having your head bounced around like you're in a Mike Tyson fight is NO fun at all.

The big seat with the backrest Triumph sells is also REALLY good.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I ride an RIII standard, but I love the styling of the Victory Kingpin and really considered one at one time, but the saddlebags are way too small. The R3T has large saddlebags that will hold just about anything..

I have 46,000 miles on my RIII and have had no mechanical issues at all. It's been a great, very reliable bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
R3

have 20k on my std. '07 (blk) R3. No mechanical issues, seat changed to Corbin, remember maintenance is every 10,000 miles. rear tire goes at 9,000 miles if lots of 2up riding. Considered Kingpin also. VERY glad I went with the Rocket. Be the wind..................

·
Registered
26 Posts
real simple

If you're a power junkie, the R3 is for you. If you NEVER go faster than 75, you don't need a Rocket. The KP is strong compared to other air cooled V-twins, but still a lawn mower engine compared to the R3. If you have to ask, the air compressor on wheels will probably suffice. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Actually, at this point in time the more direct comparison is Victory's new CrossRoads. Priced $1,000 less than a black R3T. Huge bags, lots of rear suspension travel. 92 HP - 107/tq. Black or midnight cherry (burgundy) only colors. Great initial press and a pretty bike - I saw one at Biketoberfest. It was the last bike I considered and eliminated before I put down the deposit on my leftover R3T (picking it up on Saturday - Black/red).

Test ride convinced me that there was no other bike for me but the R3T.

BTW, FWIW, the closest Victory dealer to you is now Best Buy Powersports in Fort Pierce. The Vic dealer in Pompano (and their outlet in Delray) have dropped the line as of November 1.

As soon as I get the R3T, post me a PM here and I'll arrange to meet you and let you have a look (but no ride - sorry!) (LOL)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Ksquared,
WELL?
Saturday came and went and still no report.
I'll assume from that, you're in the wind and having a blast.
Post us some pics.
Oh yea,
wipe that silly grin off your face;)
On second thought, don't worry about it,
after all this time, I still get it everytime I crawl on Black Betty,
and goose the throttle.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm surprised that no one brought up the difference in torque..."supposedly" 154 against "whatever it is, it is nowhere close".

Dennis

3-7 dtg Kandahar
9 dtg Dubai
10 dtg Home

1 - 20 of 31 Posts