Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All

I am having trouble with low volts on startup in the morning with my 2010 R3R (Australian spring/summer temps in the morning), the voltmeter drops to 7.5 volts or thereabouts when cranking over on some mornings (it can sit for a week unused and start fine with 8-8.5 volts whilst cranking over) whereas other days it can be running the day before but have difficulty starting the following morning, so I have been putting it on trickle charge overnight which seems to work but no good doing this if I go on a trip. The battery is only a few months old (SSB brand with 450cca, the last battery did this too earlier this year (a Yuasa 310cca)), I've just had the starter motor overhauled with a repair kit put through the solenoid and have checked that all the relays aren't getting warm when the bike is not running so I am running out of answers and even my mechanic is unsure of the problem and he is well clued up on Rockets

Cheers

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also forgot to mention that I've replaced the regulator rectifier with a genuine one recently so I can rule that out of the equation

Cheers

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Loose cables, ground strap at engine (some double up the negative cable but I've not had to do that, improve starter positive cable),.
https://www.r3owners.net/threads/starter-ground-cable-upgrade-resource.22905/

check and crimp coil wire connectors (6) and apply dielectric grease
Thanks r3tribal for your input but have already done those things/checks, however I did get my SSB battery checked by a battery place and they did say although SSB claims 450cca, it was only putting out 296cca when tested and given my beast has high compression pistons, the battery is obviously struggling under cranking load so I've put in a new Deka 310cca battery (Harleys use them so I figure they should do the trick) and have been told by a couple of people that they understate their cca output and have been tested putting out up to 450cca, so I'll give that a go and see what happens

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts