Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at Rocket III and Harley Fat bob. Any of these stall out problems with rockets while downshifting or coming to a stop still an issue on the 2009 models. Also would get Jardine pipes because of the way you guys speak of them...do they just sound loud or do they sound as good as HD. Thanks for any insight friends.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Shouldn't be any stalling problems on earlier models, either, as the new fuel maps have been available for a long time now and were covered by a factory recall. Not everybody ever had a problem with it anyway.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
There's no comparison. As for Jardines, I got the TORs with cat bypass in 2004 for a less money and the performance isn't that different. You should definitely hear the Jardines first and decide if you want 2 or 3 mufflers - that's the deal breaker for me - the R3 is a three cylinder bike. The newer Jardines have different baffles than the originals. Also, people have had problems installing them properly. You need new manifold gaskets and high temp sealer for all the joints. Some people have had them welded. Sounds like a potential pain in the butt. If you do get Jardines, you will need a PCIII and/or Tuneboy to get the proper fueling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone heard and/or used the muffler upgrade put out by triumph? Ad says they sound better and up the HP but that's it. I have a one time chance to get the bike of my dreams and don't want to wish I would have done something different. Wife was tired of hearing me * and moan about the quiet pipes on my Suzuki m50 before a 16yr old pulled out in front of me and totaled her.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I have the Triumph TOR (offroad) with the cat bypass. It sounds terrific, like a big Trumph should, and my bike dynoed at 140 h/150 lb ft. You can put individual filters on the intakes, Jardines, which aren't going to do much more, or more exotic exhausts, turbos or blowers, cams, pistons, etc. The sky's the limit. Its a matter of what you're looking for. The bone stock R3 has more low-end torque than virtually anything out there.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Tomorrow is 4 weeks I've had my '09 Rocket with Jardines, hitting 2500 miles this evening
No stalling problems.
My dealer installed the Jardines, and I guess I don't have exactly the right mapping, but I don't mind the popping when I back off the throttle. Anyone think that is bad for the engine, needs fixed?

I absoluety love the sound of the Jardines, leaves my HD buddies speechless. I think some of them heard the stock pipes, someone said 'I didn't know the Rocket was that loud.'
Never heard the TORS, so my knowledge is limited.

With my Bonnie if I went for a short spin it was 20 miles or so.
The Rocket wants at least 50 or it's not happy.

Too much fun.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Tuneboy will take care of most of that poping on decel you need to fatten up the lower fuel tables a bit and she pur light a frieght train!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
With the Jardines, you are running lean. This causes the popping and could damage your engine if the air/fuel ratio is too high. Before spending $400 on Tuneboy or $650 for a PCIII and custom dyno tune, go to a good DynoJet shop and have them run a dyno test. This should cost about $40. Make sure they shove the O2 probe all the way up the pipe. The air/fuel is supposed to be 13. I don't know what damages the engine but the ratio shouldn't be above 14.5 for normal cruising or accelerating. Check this with your Triumph dealer.

Triumph provides a tune for the TOR cat bypass exhaust, so they obviously will warranty that. The Jardines are more free-flowing so if you damage the engine by running too lean, Triumph may not cover it, even though your dealer installed them. They probably put the TOR/cat bypass tune in. Ask the dealer about this. You don't want to get screwed later.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks dougl

I have an appointment with my dealer this evening to get the final accesories, I'll see what he says.
I have a lot of faith in him, believe him to be a very good dealer/mechanic.
There is a Dynojet shop within 2 hours drive, but I'm thinking he can take care of me. He does many of the Jardines.
I'll let you know how it comes out.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you make the change to tripple K&N filters which I believe you will as you get where you are looking for more power it will be even leaner. I don't believe the Triumph Tech can alter Triumph tunes just installs them. anyway have fun I am waiting on my Predator pipes so my beast can breath better.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My dealer said to not worry about the popping, will not hurt the engine.
Now that I have asked, and he has said "Don't worry.", I am confident he will make it right if anything happens.
I have always heard that 'backfire" can damage an engine. I realize my popping is the same process as backfire, but the it does not have the loud, distinctive, gunshot sound of an actually backfire.
Also, I don't mind it.
He also said the bike is still settling in, and will continue to do so for about 5000 miles, suggested no sense doing final adjustments until then. The flyscreen is still on back order, I will go in at 5000 miles and have it put on (about a month), and he will see if any adjustments need made.
In a couple of weeks I will be visiting a friend, and will be close to a DynoJet shop, will will try to have a test done just to see the numbers.
As I said, I have confidence in my dealer, he has done a number of the Jardines, don't think he is blowing smoke.

dougl
As I understand it, DynoJet just puts me on the machine for diagnostic, will not calibrate/adjust, that is up to my dealer. Correct?
Thoughts on the popping not being a problem?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
You can just get your bike tested on the dyno. It will give you the HP, torque, and air/fuel ratio as a function of RPM. It's not the backfiring that would hurt the engine - it's burning a valve. I'm pretty sure my dealer installed Jardines without PCIIIs to add fuel. The only way to know is to have it tested. If you do decide to go with a different intake, like triple filters, you will want to add fuel, like with Tuneboy or PCIII.

This "backfiring" is ignition of unburned fuel vapor in the manifold pipes. It's running too lean to combust in the cylinder head but the fuel combusts after it's exhausted into the manifold.This won't hurt the engine.

·
Registered
243 Posts
dougl
I appreciate your help, please bear with me.
I'm still not clear on who makes the adjustments. Do I get a readout from Dyno Jet, and take that to my dealer to do the mod, or do I do it myself?

I'm still confused about this mapping business. Do I have it right that individuals download from the net, then plug into the bike to make adjustments. Seems like the dealer should be doing that, and have full capabilities to do it.

I need to do more googling and reading, I can see that.

Also: reading between the lines the dealer seems to be telling me to wait until 5000 miles, as the bike (engine/tranny) will change, mellow, improve, aclimate.
Agree?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Be here now, If I understand right you have jars and the factory aftemarket download from the dealer. The tune sounds a little lean to me due to decel popping. Once the Dynojet guy checks the bike out and gives you a reading you will know if your to lean or not. If you are I don't believe the Triumph tech can do anything about it as he can not alter Triumph tunes. If the Dyno guys says your not real lean you should be fine. The only way to modiy the tune you have is with PCIII or tuneboy. These are two different animals, the pcIII is a signal interceptor it lies to the ecu and then the ecu adapts there are maps already made for the R3 by dynojet. The Tuneboy allows you access to the ECU so you can actually make changes in the tune program of the ecu. Tuneboy will allow you to make other changes such as timming, secondary throttle plates, air/fuel rotios, and such giving you more control of the ecu. Tune boy will also take the info (lies) from the pcIII and emulate it into the ecu (overlay it on the ecu program) thus editing the air/fuel changes that were made by the PCIII. Tuneboy also has diagnotic capabilities where PCIII does not. IMO tune boy is better but it also cost a little more. Another thing to concider is more Dyno Tuners know the PCIII then tuneboy. Hope this helped you.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks warp9.9, a lot of info. That does help.
I think I'm putting things together in my head.
I'll have to be sure I get to that Dyna Jet shop within the next couple of weeks, and go from there.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
The Dyno guy gives you a chart with air/fuel vs rpm. If it goes over 14 at mid to high rpm, I'd be worried and ask Triumph what to do. The problem is that not all dyno guys know what they're doing. I took my Rocket into a Honda shop with a Dynajet. They measured a/f of 16 and off-scale. That was bullcrap, which I found out when my Triumph dealer redid it. The bike wouldn't have run at such a high a/f.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Warp - Everyone with the TORs/cat bypass using Triumph's tune for that setup gets backfiring in the pipes. The Jardines let more air through so the real problem in the cylinder heads could be worse.

·
Registered
272 Posts
doug you are correct I remember when I put the tors and cat delete on mine and I think they throw the same tune in for any aftermarket pipe. What he needs IMO is the tuneboy to fatten the lower fuel table up. But if he goes with a PCIII and a tuner that knows it. The same thing can happen. What I do not like about the PCIII is (and I only hear this as I have Tuneboy) I hear when you leave it piggy backed on the bike the heat gets to it and it looses the tune adjustments. That why emulating it over the original tune works better IMO. If he does not want to spend all the cash then I would get someone to read the serial number of the ecu and pay the 100.00 for the password then he can have anyone load a adjusted tune from the R3 specific sites like R3owners.net or the .com site. I am in no means trying to talk down this site as it is a total Triumph site not specific like the others. Me I spend time on all of them as everyone has something I can learn.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, That's What I Thought !!!

I know darned well that I don't have enough patience or knowledge to make an educated decision about such things, so I'm leaving mine stock.

Cheers !!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts