Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I had some mates over for a blokes night a while ago and as usual we ended up talking about bikes we've seen and the weird things people do to make their's unique. As we got drunker the creative juices started to flow and someone suggested that it would be really cool to have a 2300cc cafe racer. In other words turn a rocket into a Thruxton. We imagined removing the front pegs/boards and using the rears for the rider, moving the controls back to suit, raising and narrowing the seat and fitting drop bars.

I couldn't help wondering if anybody has been crazy or stupid or brilliant enough (depending on your point of veiw) to try anything like it? What would be the biggest challenges to overcome?

We've now got to the point where we're seriously considering looking for an insurance write off bike to chop up and give it a go. Any ideas or advice on how far it is possible to take the idea and suggestions would be welcomed.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
You Austrailians are crazy.lol
I could see rearsets, dropped narrow bars, the seat mod and chop up that rear fender to suit. Would look pretty cool I guess. Not sure what you could do to the front. My concern would be the handling with the narrow, dropped bars. Oh yea, do something with the fat front fender also.
Would make a nice bike to play with. You'ld certainly get from one spot to another quick and own a real conversation piece.
Good luck in your endeaver and keep us posted if you go for it.
later

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi
Check out mecatwins rocketteer and Stefans black beauty from street&sport m/cycles christchurch nz.
Im in the middle of doin the same thing u guys want to do but keepin the bars low and wide .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also check out extreme creations in brookvale sydney ,bens done rearsets for the r3 and frontends for the r3 ,he machined up a 1 inch spacer for my rivco risers so my low flyer bars would clear the tank ,he does great work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. There are some insane ideas around. God bless the people in the world who see no reason to stop just because nobody else went for it.

Shaner, cheers for the heads up about Extreme Creations. I live pretty close to Brookvale and will be heading over there in the little while to see if they can kick us off inthe right direction and help out with the parts that are too hard to do in a back yard workshop.

As Russel Crowe once said at the Oscars:

" God Bless America, God save New Zealand and thank Christ for Australia"

Thanks again to everyone who got back to us.

Cheers

H

·
Registered
690 Posts
I went for the bobbed cruiser look myself.
bobbed the rear fender, chopped down the front fender,
chopped the claw, and added some harley road king bars.
different for sure than any I saw at any of the
Rockets Across America rallys..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Skip, fancy seeing you here!
I couldn't go as far as drop bars coz I'm too old and fat to fold that way any more, but I fitted lower ones from a HD Nightster, and a few other bits n bobs;

I have a few like minded friends;

Both of those on the right are also now fitted with superchargers.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I don't have any recent pictures, but I'll sure borrow a camera and take a few..
Hi Perds, fine group of riders you run with..
some ugly blokes, but nice bikes..;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't have any recent pictures, but I'll sure borrow a camera and take a few..
Hi Perds, fine group of riders you run with..
some ugly blokes, but nice bikes..;)
Ha! Good job you can't see the ugly mug behind the camera.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I posted a link earlier about a drag racing company that got 243 hp from the Rocket engine, think pistons, port, and cams. no boosters all n/a. Looks like Triumph north america is working with them and they have 6 new RIII's to play with. Maybe something along the lines of the old Yenko and Shelby stuff, could be cool.
Those Rockets look amazing, S3 on steroids.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts