Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Street Triple RS
123 Posts
Thinking the 60's US show "Get Smart" may have been influenced by the more witty and urbane "Avengers"...
Not sure if the comedic minds of Mel Brooks and Buck Henry really needed any creative help from "The Avengers", more likely a direct parody from the James Bond/Secret Agent genre of the time. As much as I love "The Avengers" series, "Get Smart" can stand on its own merits as a true 60s TV comedy classic.

Gotta go, my shoe-phone is ringing.

·
Registered
2017 T120 Bonneville in Black
683 Posts
What about Stephenie Powers in the Girl from Auntie ? she was one sexy lady

·
Registered
2018 Street Triple RS
123 Posts
What about Stephenie Powers in the Girl from Auntie ? she was one sexy lady
"The Man from U.N.C.L.E." and the spin-off "The Girl from U.N.C.L.E." series were OK for the time, but honesty, "The Avengers" and "Get Smart" are much superior with intelligent/witty writing, better cast/characters and solid production. IMHO, these two hold up much better over time and I would give them the "Classic" nomenclature (not so for the U.N.C.L.E. series).

Stephanie Powers was fine as April Dancer, but I actually preferred Mary Ann Mobley's original rendition of that character in "The Moonglow Affair" episode from "The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (I saw that episode on the original release).

Looking back, I really can't believe how much TV I used to watch (and mostly in black and white).

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Agent 99,
Did I ever think she was great when I was a little boy.
The Avenger's lady was pretty hot, too. Very talented lady.
RIP.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Reactions: BSA BIKER

·
Registered
683 Posts
Had to bring this one back.
With UK lockdown etc the old (very) TV programes are coming back and I found a 1967 Avengers episode (in colour) with Diana Rigg and Patrick Mcnee. To think I used to believe that this was a good series, talk about Ham Acting, and tongue in cheek, won't be watching any more of them thats for sure. Diana was very pretty in those days which made up for the poor fight scenes.
Living in Spain I get the tv via the internet and watch most of it on my laptop, reminds me of our first TV back in the early 1950's with a very small screen. Those old ones weighed a ton in comparison to modern flat screen types.

·
Driftless Admin
2008 Bonneville Black
12,080 Posts
Yeah, I've tried to rewatch some of those old series that I remember fondly. I get over them very fast. The original Bob Newhart Show, Taxi and I Dream of Jeanie are a few. Fun for about an episode and a half, but that's about it.

Perfect Strangers sucked back then, and trying to watch it now about gave me an aneurism :(

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I got strung out over the holidays on this 50's vintage series- "Highway Patrol" with Broderick Crawford- so hoky now, but Los Angeles and the surrounding area were so rural compared to today's L.A.. There are 150 episodes on You Tube..

·
Registered
683 Posts
Dan, Dan, Dan of the Highway Patrol, it did seem very good in its day.
With Taxi I always think of the aging hippy who's catch phrase was "its never been the same since they took star trek off the air." Wish I could remember his name, he even went on to play a Klingon in one of the films.

·
Registered
2018 Street Triple RS
123 Posts
Dan, Dan, Dan of the Highway Patrol, it did seem very good in its day.
With Taxi I always think of the aging hippy who's catch phrase was "its never been the same since they took star trek off the air." Wish I could remember his name, he even went on to play a Klingon in one of the films.
You are referring to Jim Ignatowski (played by Christopher Lloyd). And perhaps better known for playing Doc Brown in the Back to the Future movies.

Frankly, much of television back in the 50s-60s was pretty weak and does not stand up very well (by todays standards). If we were to be honest, there are probably only a handful of exceptional shows that has really tested the test of time. These shows typically had excellent writing, solid acting/directing and touched a universality. Shows ranging from I Love Lucy, The Twilight Zone, and The Dick Van **** Show has held up very well over decades. But most TV shows were fairly mediocre at best, made to entertain and feeding the commercial appetite; it was typically not high art. Nostalgia tends to blur/soften/enhance reality. And remember, you were probably much younger when you watched those shows in the 60s, and your perception is probably a bit different today.

But let's not be too hard on those old shows, they served a purpose and are a fabric of our youth/culture. The Avengers was a springboard for Dame Diana Rigg's career; let's be thankful for that.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Christoper Lloyd, thats it, old age and senility only part. He also played the judge ? in who framed Roger rabbit.
You are right that in those days we did not expect so much to be entertained, they were far more innocent times.

·
Registered
683 Posts
That is still funny and doesn't seem too dated.
At one stage it looked like Danny DeVito had a job not to laugh at the antics of Christopher Lloyd. Very good.

·
Driftless Admin
2008 Bonneville Black
12,080 Posts
Ha! That is awesome. There was one where the distance to the sun comes up, and Jim says it's 92,955,807 miles away. They all stop and look at him and someone says, how did you know that. Then Jim does that ting where his eyes get big and he leans back and looks all frazzled and say "What, I'm right?!?". Can't find a video, but I think of it all the time

Also reminds me of Barney Miller when Wojciehowicz brings in the hash brownies and everyone gets high. Except Barney, of course. He tells Todd Glass he can't drive, take a bus, and Glass says "But Barney, if I can't drive a car, how am I gonna drive a bus?" Guess you had to be there, but it still tickles me

·
Registered
442 Posts
Diana Rigg was a naturally beautiful woman

... even though she was from Doncaster.

I don't think "The Avengers" was ever serious, and Macnee was lucky to work with five desirable co-stars.

·
Registered
683 Posts
As I said right at the beginning of this thread, she was one of those women who thought that she was not beautiful, shame as she really was a babe. :love:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts