Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, having got through the first 1000km as quickly as I could, with all the lousy weather (1 month), I was able to take my R into the garage for the first service - and asked them to adjust the suspension to a "softer" setting. They seemed very sceptical that it would work, and were already talking about replacing the suspension with the standard Triple one!! I pointed out that the whole deal with the R was to be able to adjust according to individual tastes - so they did do what I asked - and what a difference:D I was sick of trying to miss all the bumps and holes everywhere, for fear of shaking my spine to pieces - now it's dreamlike in comparison - so the smile inside the helmet has got even bigger! :p Maybe the standard factory setting is just aimed at blokes who are heavier (on average) than I am, and there's the reason, but who cares, now it's even more fun;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK Alphamang, I might regret this, but here goes - the compression/rebound settings are the ones that are supposed to be adjustable on the R, and not the pre-load, or the other way round?

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
The pre-load is no more or less adjustable on the R. (It's not actually a recommended user adjustment on any Triumph 675 up to now.) It is indeed the others that are adjustable on the R.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The front pre-load should be at 7 for all riding settings according to the handout that came with my manual. I would recommend everyone check their settings, since mine were not to spec.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Need to know your weight, riding style, riding terrain and skill level before anyone can give you a starting point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm 140lbs. I will use the STR mainly for commuting, mostly highways. I have been riding sportbikes for 6 years.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Liz, thanks for the insight on the suspension. Did they just tinker or is there a technical approach to getting the settings you've achieved? Guess it's different for everyone but would be interesting to hear how they got it right for you.

How's the riding in Brussels? Lots of room and fast roads, I imagine. :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
The front pre-load should be at 7 for all riding settings according to the handout that came with my manual. I would recommend everyone check their settings, since mine were not to spec.
I thought preload should be checked/set by measuring the sag
once the rider has climbed aboard???

Greg.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts