Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took off the saddle and saddlebags from my 2001 Bonneville yesterday so that I could give it a thorough clean and detail. Afterwards, I found a part on the ground that may have fallen off the bike. I've attached a couple of pictures of the part and was hoping that somebody would recognize it and would kindly tell me what it is! I'm thinking that perhaps it didn't even come from my Bike - but I'd like to be sure. Thanks.

Attachments

·
30,533 Posts
There ARE german made components on your Bonnie...........

But that isn't one of them. It's not off the Bonnie.

·
30,533 Posts
Metzelers are made in Brazil now - they used to be made in Germany. There are a couple of electrical components that are German in origin. Flasher relay and the other wotsit next to it for sure.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
That must be why my Lasetec front and Sport Demon rear get along so well, they speak the same language.

The Bonnie has quite the passport - Thai, German, Brazil, England -- wonder where else she calls home?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Italian Wheels? Union Cycle rims are on mine and they are a Thai company. My Metzlers are made in Germany.

BTW - Metzler is a Pirelli company.

·
30,533 Posts
Italian Wheels? Union Cycle rims are on mine and they are a Thai company. My Metzlers are made in Germany.

BTW - Metzler is a Pirelli company.
It is owned by pirelli now yes. My metzes say "made in brazil", so I guess they are multi sourced. Thought I saw "Made in Italy" on my wheel rims, but I could be mistaken and be thinking of something else.

Basically, the parts comes from all over the globe.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
It is owned by pirelli now yes. My metzes say "made in brazil", so I guess they are multi sourced. Thought I saw "Made in Italy" on my wheel rims, but I could be mistaken and be thinking of something else.

Basically, the parts comes from all over the globe.
I had one Brazilian and one German Metzeler on mine. Fortunately, I now have Avons that say "Made in England" on the sidewalls. You are correct about your wheels. The chrome rims were (crappy) Italian items when the wheels were still built by Central Wheels in Birmingham. Triumph changed the rim supplier to Union Cycle when they moved wheel building to one of their Thai factories a year or two back. I only hope the Thai rims don't rust as quickly! They also swapped from (German) Behr to (Japanese) Excel for the alloy rims used on the Thruxton at the same time.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Do you own any German cars?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Cheap plastic components from the packaging of a large electrical appliance such as a drying machine or washing machine.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Funny thing is Prop and I both have 07 Bonnie Blacks and mine have Union Cycle rims which btw, are flawless. They have no rust.

Prop, you are right they are from all over the place. :)

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
I have an '07 Bonnie Black, with the Union Cycle rims. Chrome is flawless as others have stated, no issues at all (10,260 Miles) with spokes, etc. Very nice, deep chrome finish on the rims.

For that matter, thus far the whole bike has been flawless!

Well, except for those cheesy float bowl screws, but they have been replaced with SS ones. Odd that Keihin wouldn't pick up on the complaints and spend the few cents more (when purchasing in bulk) for decent fasteners.

And the mirror stalks keep moving slightly, especially after a high speed run. Every time I tell myself to put some thread lock on them, and every time I forget.

No wonder my bike doesn't respond when I talk to her! I need to learn some different languages!

Wasn't there a guy about 10-15 years ago that was developing a universal language? Where did that end up?

Talk about off topic!

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
That did not come off your Bonnie

I have stripped them down and cataloged every part That is not off a Bonnie or any other Trumpet.
You pulling our leg.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts