Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so yea, I quit smoking for my new years resolution. Well, I actually quit so I could have more money once I pick up speedy. anyways, I haven't had one for 3 days and my body just feels wierd as hell. I have 1 patch left from when I tried to quit a while ago, definitelly throwing that on tonight. My hands are shaking like crazy and I feel like I can't concentrate on anything. I almost feel like I'm drunk with the spins or something.

I've been smoking for the last three years, averaging around a pack a day. If I quit that should save me $120 a month then. But ya, this***** f'n sucks!!

My momma always told me I should never be a quiter, maybe I should start up again. If anything i should go and buy some papers and a bag of natural tobacco and roll my own. At least it won't have all the preservatives then.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Keep going mate, I quit 7yrs ago and havn't looked back. All the bars, restaurants, and all public indoor places are all smoke free in NZ so being a non smoker is great!! It takes about two to three weeks (Sometimes longer) for the cravings to go, But hell you've only been smoking for 3 yrs! I smoked for 24!!

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
day 3 doesn't do nut'n fer me. I've quit cold turkey fer 2 weeks straight before, and had to pick up another one because of the 'stress' of the day. :hammer:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I've been smoking for the last three years, averaging around a pack a day.
Ha! Amateur :-g

I told myself I'd quit when I turned 40. That was a few years ago. Odd thing is, I smoke, but I'm still in the gym three to five times a week. Balance and all. I even roll my own (Bali Shag or Drum, usually).

I remember bein' able to smoke at my desk at work. I guess they figured it was less deadly than than the roaming dinosaurs who'd occasionally wreak havoc on our caves.

Then they banned it from workplaces. Next came prohibitions on smoking sections in restaurants. Now, you can't even smoke in bars in Florida if they serve food (although if they are classified as a billiard parlor, you can smoke - wonder what lobbyist finagled that).

When the band plays in GA, I can smoke up a storm - it's still legal in bars there.

Some places are now talkin' about outlawin' it outdoors even. Jeez.

Oh yeah, it's a nasty habit. Totally unhealthy. Kick it if ya can.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yep, give it a couple of weeks.

The beauty of it is that your sense smell and taste will come back in a few days and you'll start to notice things more.

Hang in there!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All the bars in minneapolis and the surrounding cities banned smoking too. It will definitelly make it a lot easier to quit then. It's also nice not having to walk outside and smoke and freeze my bum off in the winter!! I don't even feel like I can drive straight right now though. f'n sucks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ya know what worked for me... every time i felt like i needed a smoke, i went for a nice exhillerating ride. adreniline beats the hell out of nicotine. Good luck. Just remember its worth it. Oh yeah chew gum, that helped me too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
After about 3 to 4 weeks it finally breaks and you slowly start feeling normal again.

Hang in there bro!!!

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Get some lemon hard candy to eat and whackoff every time you want a cigarette. That should do it! Worked for me and I been quit for 25 years. Now I am addicted to sex.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There was no way I was starting on new years eve. Too much alcohol to drink that night which makes me want to smoke way too much. I think things just got really bad after I was done eating lunch. I always have a cig after I'm done eating. I'm feeling a little better now but my body still doesn't feel normal.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey man, keep strong! Its been almost 10 months for me without a cig now... similar situation to you, few years and a pack a day. It saves a hell of alot of money and for some wierd reason, ya feel better. Good Luck!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the pointers guys. I'ma head upstairs right now and grab some gum. another reason why I wanted to quit bad is because I have a 150mile mountain bike marathon to attend this spring. Gotta be in top shape for that.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I used to help people stop smoking for religious purposes, a few tricks were: Vitamin C, as much as you can, it helps flush the nicotine out of your body. Once the chemical dependancy is gone it's a matter of changing your habits. One thing was, brush your teeth after you eat. Most people smoke after a meal and never after brushing their teeth. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I quit 16 years ago New Years, and the way I did it was to cold turkey smokes annd alcohol for 30 days. Then when I went back to beer I didn't want a smoke the next second. Absolutely the best thing I've done for myself concerning my health. Good Luck!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea, i had a beer while watching the college championship football game last night. i wanted to smoke right away but kept myself from it. I'll just have to keep away from alcohol for a little bit.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I've been chewing Skoal for longer than I care to admit. A similar nasty habit, but at least it doesn't piss other people off...just makes them ill watching it. I've quit several times, but once I hang out with someone else that does it, I'm right back at it. "Oh, I can have one tin without getting hooked again"...wrong.

Do yourself a favor. Until you've kicked the habit, don't associate with other smokers. It's just far too tempting to bum a smoke and then you've killed all of your hard work.

Capt.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Keep it up man. I smoked 2 packs of Marlboro 100's for 14 years and quit cold turkey 9 years ago. Best thing I ever did.
Smoking was fun back then and I enjoyed it but today its a hassle and too expensive not to mention a real killer.
Some tips
Avoid the alcohol - I know is hard to stop both right now but you can get a drink once your will power is stronger.
Avoid people that smoke. Dont hang with the smoker crowd for a while. Stay away from temptation.
Remember how hard it is to quit and use that (and the fact your health is better, you have more money and more women find you attractive) as a reminder not to have to go through this again.
Will power my man....pass the test...you know you want to stop. Just do it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts