Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a suggestion for a relatvely quiet exhaust system that will still pull big jets and give full power to an opened up engine?? I have a set of TORS and a set of D&D- the D&D's give excellent power but are LOUD which is good sometimes and sometimes not. I do not think the TORS really give the engine its head-they seem to choke it down. I do not have time or money to do a full dyno R&D project and was wondering if anyone has or knows of some pipes that do run relatively quiet but stiill give good power. Or are those two items mutually exclusive? I hope not as I am building a "Gentleman's Express" stealth bike to piss off the Harley Riders around here. I could always ride theTriple but that is too easy and they are afraid (will not race) of that bad boy. Help me out if you can.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have VW exhaust tips inserted into Bellacorse adapters and they are much quieter than D & D but still have some kick. My bike sounds a lot like a 60's Triumph. Very quiet at idle but increasingly louder as it pulls up the revs under load. I am running 125 mains ,40 pilots 2.75 turns out, AI removed, K&N and snorkle removed. It can run the D&D's or straight open pipes or the VW tips without fouling the plugs and will hit the rev limiter in all gears but 5th and I chickened out at 110mph. I like the sound, my neighbors don't even look up when I ride by and I can run beside a police car whithout fear of a ticket. If I get jaded I can switch back in 15 minutes without rejetting. Ed

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Harley riders can't hear. Keep the D&D's, get a full face helmet, put some ear plugs in & ride.
This isn't scientific but I feel sure that after installing D&D's I have had no one change lanes & try to run me over. It seemed to be happening all the time before. I may be just more carefull but I think it is the pipes. I usually keep down a gear or two from what I should be in. I am ready to throttle out of trouble if need be & it is also louder. I like louder.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I have some VW tips also. I haven't installed them in anything yet. Used to run 4 of them in my old 500 4 Honda. I have 2 in my CL350 scrambler pipes.
Guess we could all go back to snuffernots.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Believe it or not....

You can make those D&D's much quieter than they currently are. I wrapped some pretty serious packing around the core then FORCED 'em back into the cans. They sounded pretty good, the bike had some pretty serious low-end torque and great mid-range, but they were not as good at the top end with the jetting I left in the carbs. Only thing is, I never did beat their (my) tendency to burn 'em out pretty quickly.

I've always wanted SOMEBODY to take their D&D's apart, and then WITHOUT cutting away the remaining glob melted to the baffle, pack the heck out of their cans. My thinking is that the glob from the D&D factory that's since melted to the core will slow the rest of the supplemental packing from burning up so easily. Should quiet 'em down too.

I'll be firing my bike up someday VERY soon, and will find out how my use of a 'Big City Thunder' baffle AND lotsa packing around the D&D baffle will work. It's a gamble, but I too am trying to quiet down the obnoxious D&D ramble in the neighborhood (not a typo, I really DID mean "ramble"; I'm looking for a quieter 'rumble').

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On 2006-11-14 21:34, FattRat wrote:
Believe it or not....

You can make those D&D's much quieter than they currently are. I wrapped some pretty serious packing around the core then FORCED 'em back into the cans. They sounded pretty good, the bike had some pretty serious low-end torque and great mid-range, but they were not as good at the top end with the jetting I left in the carbs. Only thing is, I never did beat their (my) tendency to burn 'em out pretty quickly.

I've always wanted SOMEBODY to take their D&D's apart, and then WITHOUT cutting away the remaining glob melted to the baffle, pack the heck out of their cans. My thinking is that the glob from the D&D factory that's since melted to the core will slow the rest of the supplemental packing from burning up so easily. Should quiet 'em down too.

I'll be firing my bike up someday VERY soon, and will find out how my use of a 'Big City Thunder' baffle AND lotsa packing around the D&D baffle will work. It's a gamble, but I too am trying to quiet down the obnoxious D&D ramble in the neighborhood (not a typo, I really DID mean "ramble"; I'm looking for a quieter 'rumble').
What is and where to get the Big City Thunder baffle??

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Talking with the folks at British Customs about doing mods to my 790, they told me that they were pleasantly surprised on how good the TOR's performed as an aftermarket power boost. They did not see real significant drops in hp from their own pipe. Plus, they keep the stock look of the bike. Safe riding reduces your chances of getting run flat more than loud mufflers.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I don't think you can have your cake and eat it also.
The TOR's are not bad, they are straight through, so should not be real restrictive.
Louder will equal less back pressure in most cases, so something that is as loud as you can stand would be best.

Length also comes into play, I have a few different silencers for the 1969 Daytona, and the stock looking free flowing silencers (glass pack) are longer then the silencers i normally use, and the power curve looks like a bowl, loads of low end
power, no mid range, gobs of power from 6000 to 9000 rpm.

The other silencers are 5 or 6 inches shorter, and have
a built in baffle (don't do much) and the power curve is much more flat, and rolls off at about 8000 rpm.

Its really crazy how much difference there is between the silencers, considering the back pressure is likely close.
I cant run the stock looking ones as they sound loud and nasty, the other ones sound loud and good...

Brett

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I want to buy some SuperTrap cans that use the disc's. I've got the item number laying around somewhere, and when I get some money I hope to buy some. The added length of the SuperTrap megaphones, and exhaust noise coming out of the sides of the end-cap (as opposed to straight out of the rear), AND the ability to dial them in with varying number of disc's, puts you in control of the resulting sound. I think the exhaust noise may not be as directional and might not be perceived as loud......

In addition, before modern bikes began using a valve in the header system, manufacture res found that the BIGGER the muffler(s), the more performance they could get out of the engine without the inevitable noise. But it's not easy to assert that bigger is better, or disc's are magical, exhaust design is a science that's pretty complicated.

Before I attach the link for 'Big City Thunder' as requested, I have to put my two cents in for the Predators. I found them to be vastly superior to my D&D's with regard to performance throughout the whole range. One can leave the neighborhood in the morning and not wake everybody up if they're careful on the throttle, but they have a lovely bark when you open 'em up!

Big City Thunder

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
When I was working in the exhaust industry years ago, they were experimenting with noise cancellation technology. The sound created by the engine travelled down the pipe and hit a sensor which sent a signal back which produced the same frequency sound and cancelled each other out. No back pressure or noise.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is going to take some thinking and I am not too good at that but I might try the old style TORS with my present mods first. May be I will wrap the D&D's with that new space age packing I bought. Then there is the Thunder baffle deal and the Predators and the
etc, etc, ......... I will work something out. Keep the updates coming . Thanks.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an obsevation on Super Trapps-I had a SS set complete with headers on my '82 BMW R100RS and could not wait to take them off-the sound was really fluffy/loud and not at all what I expected or wanted. Never Dynoed the bike but could not tell performance difference from drilled stock pipes. Wound up with the BMW pipes drilled out as the best all around for my touring purposes. Had a Super Trapp on my Yamaha XT500 thumper dirt bike and that was great! Good power and nice sound. Just what the Trapp was really invented for (I think). Dont think much about the Super Trapps for my Triumph.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
You may want to take a look at those Bella Corse Teardrop mufflers. I hear they give great sound and keep a traditional Bonnie look.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
My D&D's must be burned out. They are loud. There used to be steel packed mufflers for cars & I was going to try repacking my D&D's with steel wool. We get rolls of it at work to clean cars & such with. Or a couple boxes of SOS pads might work. I bought a couple of Emgo's on e-bay with the adaptors but haven't installed them yet.
If I quieten down my Bonnie my neighbor would be late for work in the mornings. He uses my bike for the last "get up" signal. I am his snooze alarm. I just get tired of him hitting me on the head.
As for the other neighbors? Oh well.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I have a friend who did some extended dyno testing with a supertrapp, granted it was not on a bonneville.
he said it can be adjusted for less HP, or even less.
and it does not have a very attractive sound, imho
very raspy
G

·
Registered
915 Posts
Norman Hyde Togas. Good sound and looks, like the old ones. No packing to burn out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts