Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
On 2006-04-21 22:39, MaxH wrote:
Well it goes like this.
I'm thinking about swapping to a Norman Hyde "petrol" tank that holds 40% more fuel, converting to a 904CC engine with modded heads, cams, carbs & clutch, modifying the wheels to accept tubeless tires, and adding some extra lights.
The brakes have been upgraded, I have aluminum hard cases and the seat is a modified Scrambler Solo.
I don't know about "real men" that define themselves or limit their thinking by types of technology or the brand of bike they ride.
I like to ride & I like to ride without hassle. I like to ride long distances on back roads without having to stop. And I like riding by myself. I try to modify my machines to that purpose.
I asked the forum for advice from users of Quiet Drive. What I got was some smart ass comments from fools.
Rodburner, this is why I'm here less.
I'd like to see a picture of your bike. A GS Adventure style Triumph would kick ass! I'm installing a set of Hepko & Becker Junior Flash bags on my Thruxton tonight for the Dragon RAID. It's already got dirt bike bars on it. Behr is supposed to have tubeless dirt bike rims coming out this summer. I was thinking of getting a set of them and at the same time going to a 19" front rim. Then mount enduro tires.

Last night I installed a set of the Hepko & Becker Junior Flash bags on my wife's BMW F650CS. Looks great on her bike. She's got a Cee Bailey w/s and dirt bike hand guards for better weather protection.

I love the belt drive on her bike! I've been thinking of converting my Thruxton to belt drive. Four thousand miles in three months on the Thruxton and the ride to Deals Gap this week, a belt makes a lot of sense to me. I'll have between 12k and 15k miles on the bike in the first year of ownership. When it's time for a new chain, I'll think real hard on the QPD.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Kingmoham,
It looks awfully cold where you ride. In New Orleans we've have some untimely rising water but lots of nice hot weather in which to ride.
My idea with the Bonneville is to make a low maintenance "light cruiser." Tubeless tires & belt drives are much easier to fool with on back roads when riding solo.
I don't have a blank check for this project so the upgrades are going in stages. I'm timing the them as the stock parts need to be replaced.
The front break pads wore out this week so I'm using the opportunity to go to a larger semi-floating roater & a 4 piston caliper (vs the standard 2 piston).
The belt drive might be one of the last mods made.
The price for an unpainted 23 liter tank (vs the stock 16.6 liter) is $1400.00 from Norman Hyde. That alone will require some pondering & creative accounting.
My guess to complete the engine upgrade will be about $3200.00 plus extras.
As I work on the project, I'll post photos if I can figure out how that's done. And I'll be sure to give you a "road review" for each of these upgrades.
Good riding,
MaxH

·
Registered
191 Posts
I remember the chains from the early 70's when I first started riding. Seemed like every couple of weeks the chain needed adjusted. I have 4500 miles on my 05 america and the chain is still at the same tension as when I first bought it. I give it a little squirt every 500-1000 miles. No problems.

jerry

21 - 23 of 23 Posts