Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that the answers will be subjective, but here goes.

I currently have TORs on my Scrambler. They are a bit restrictive and have become the next hurdle in getting an extra pony or two out my bike. I've listened to all the vids on the exhaust thread without gaining any knowledge. I would like a less restrictive exhaust that isn't any louder than my TORs. A little quieter would even be nice. Generally speaking, I believe that more HP means more noise, but I am forever hopeful. I have heard that the Staintunes might be a good choice. I have also heard that the Arrows (with baffle in) are fairly quiet. I do like the look of the stock pipes, so if I can just get some new slip-ons, I'd be fine.

Can anyone post up real life comparisons between the available options? If enough people post, we can put together a list of cans from quietest to loudest that might be of some use.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Pokeyjoe,

I love my D&D's, at first they where WAY to loud, but I was able to quiet them down, and now they have a sweet mellow purr.

The instructions are in the Twins Documentation Library.

·
Registered
325 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I realize that the answers will be subjective, but here goes.

I currently have TORs on my Scrambler. They are a bit restrictive and have become the next hurdle in getting an extra pony or two out my bike. I've listened to all the vids on the exhaust thread without gaining any knowledge. I would like a less restrictive exhaust that isn't any louder than my TORs. A little quieter would even be nice. Generally speaking, I believe that more HP means more noise, but I am forever hopeful. I have heard that the Staintunes might be a good choice. I have also heard that the Arrows (with baffle in) are fairly quiet. I do like the look of the stock pipes, so if I can just get some new slip-ons, I'd be fine.

Can anyone post up real life comparisons between the available options? If enough people post, we can put together a list of cans from quietest to loudest that might be of some use.

Thanks!
If you want quiet pipes, stick with the stock ones, they dont come much quieter than those. I dont think there is much more HP to be gained with louder pipes [other may disagree] 1-2 HP maybe. Unless you go for additional mods as well.
Loud pipes just sound meaner, I liiiiike

·
Registered
245 Posts
Maybe Norman Hyde SS pipes

pokeyjoe - From my extensive research, I think you're right about power = volume. Also, seems most guys here agree that for carbed bikes anyway, its the associated mods (rejetting, A/I removal, etc.) that really help with the power, and that with the exception of high-end systems, the exhaust itself doesn't add much power.

However, the exception may be Norman Hyde SS pipes - http://www.newbonneville.com/html/hyde_ss_exhaust.html - I checked into these because they look sweet - very much like those on '67-'68 TR6C's. I wrote NH about them and they claim 6-8% more HP and torque over stock before mods. I was hoping they'd have a clip of how they sound, but they don't. They did say all their pipes sound like the Triumph pipes from the '60s, so probably not too loud.

Even though they're double the TORS $, I was strongly considering them until I found out there's no heat shielding available for the passenger.

Also, the regular Norman Hyde slip-ons might be an option. From what I've been able to tell, they're about the same volume as TORs and someone else here - Texascat? - ran TORs and then switched to the Hyde slip-ons. Maybe do a search and see what he thinks of sound and power.

Final thoughts - one thing I've learned is that when listening to clips, make sure you listen to how pipes you're interested in sound on a Scrambler. TORs and other pipes can sound very different on Bonnies, Thrux's, etc. than they do on a Scrambler. Also, it seems most guys here agree that clips often don't give an accurate idea of what pipes really sound like, so if at all possible, try and find a local Scrambler owner who's got pipes your interested in and see if you can give his\hers a listen.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Based on what I've read and people have said, the Thunderbike slip-ons will be my choice. They don't have the "blat-blat" of the TORs and may only be a little louder, although the sound is much different. I understand that if I stay off the throttle, I can quietly drive through the neighborhood (important in the wee hours of the morning).

I was hoping someone with Staintunes could add their 2¢.

·
Registered
212 Posts
wenzel850 - Can I ask you how you mellowed out the D&Ds? I wanted loud pipes to save lives (mine), but these are a bit too loud even with ear plugs. Some people said they toned them down by loosening up the packing a bit, so I removed the screws but was unable to pull the packing out. Is there a trick to this?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Based on what I've read and people have said, the Thunderbike slip-ons will be my choice. They don't have the "blat-blat" of the TORs and may only be a little louder, although the sound is much different. I understand that if I stay off the throttle, I can quietly drive through the neighborhood (important in the wee hours of the morning).

I was hoping someone with Staintunes could add their 2¢.
Cool! Post a clip when you get 'em! FYI - Thunderbike shows them for $536.60 shipped vs. $750 for newbonneville.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts