Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Switched from XC to XR model and oh boy this bike can turn. Been thinking of putting a quickshifter (if its possible) now. Has anybody done it and was it actually worth it?

·
Vendor
209 Posts
I just took a look at the parts fiche on BikeBandit.com, and that nice long shift rod is just beggin' for a shift sensor! I don't believe the ECU has the QS function built in, so you'd need a QS Controller as well as the sensor and adaptor rods. The PUSH sensor and controller (3 wire splice-in) will cost $215 shipped; add $50 for a plug'n'play controller.

Is it worth it? That's something only you can answer, but they are a blast!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just took a look at the parts fiche on BikeBandit.com, and that nice long shift rod is just beggin' for a shift sensor! I don't believe the ECU has the QS function built in, so you'd need a QS Controller as well as the sensor and adaptor rods. The PUSH sensor and controller (3 wire splice-in) will cost $215 shipped; add $50 for a plug'n'play controller.

Is it worth it? That's something only you can answer, but they are a blast!
Thanks. What is plug'n'play controller and why would I need it? I ve never dealt with quick shifters before.
And since you are already here how much do you guys charge for Street Triple one? Saw them on sale here in your thread but the website had a different number.

·
Vendor
209 Posts
A plug'n'play controller has the specific connectors and wiring to plug into the sidestand switch and rear brake switch connectors, as opposed to three clipped wires that you have to splice in. It's a convenience thing. I will need you to measure the tip-to-tip length of the shift rod, so I can provide the correct adaptor rod(s); if you measure the center-to-center distance of the Heim joints, you can easily put the shift pedal back where you like it.

The Street Triple QS kit is on sale for $135 here on the BBS; tell me that you're interested and PM your email address, and I'll send a Paypal invoice for the reduced amount. What year is your Street Triple?

·
Vendor
209 Posts
What’s a quickshifter?
It's a little electronics package that - along with a switch installed inline with the shift rod - cuts the ignition for a small fraction of a second (typically 40-60 milliseconds) whenever the rider boots the shifter for an upshift. This allows full-throttle clutchless upshifts, with no abuse of the transmission, and no loss of power or forward momentum. This is primarily a tool for the track; without a shifter you'd have to flick the throttle to effect an upshift, losing fractions of a second with every shift of every lap. On the street it's a toy, but that doesn't mean it isn't fun.

Here's a pic of a shift switch installed on a Street Triple; it's the bulb on the lower end of the shift rod.

Attachments

·
Vendor
209 Posts
Yes it will.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the explanation.

Seems like overkill on a Tiger unless involved in track days. I need all the help I can get to keep from speeding!

·
Registered
248 Posts
off topic, but you rarely hear about how much better the R can turn vs the XC.
I have only ridden the R and have always been impressed, but the XC lovers swear there is no difference onroad

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
off topic, but you rarely hear about how much better the R can turn vs the XC.
I have only ridden the R and have always been impressed, but the XC lovers swear there is no difference onroad
I currently have both )). XC is for sale. Do not listen to what XC lovers say. XR definitely turns quicker due to simple physics AKA smaller wheel. I love both of them. Each has cons and pros. XC is plushier. XR is definitely built for road touring. It is a bit lower also that fits my inseam better. Ideally i would love to have XC with XR wheels or an XR with XC suspension. )

·
Super Moderator
2,906 Posts
I've had both an XR and XCx, turn in is the same between the two. I actually think my XCx handles better.

·
Super Moderator
2,906 Posts
You prolly didnt lean that puppy low enough. Hit that apex, mate.
Ha ha, yeah, that's it. 60k plus on them both, I'm pretty familiar with riding them and how to ride. Maybe that's the difference?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ha ha, yeah, that's it. 60k plus on them both, I'm pretty familiar with riding them and how to ride. Maybe that's the difference?
I ride them like Tigers are supposed to be ridden. Can hit that apex on XRt way quicker. XC is a nice comfy couch though. ))

·
Super Moderator
2,906 Posts
Properly adjusted suspension works wonders. Maybe adjusting the suspension on your XR will help even more...., oh that's right..... ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Properly adjusted suspension works wonders. Maybe adjusting the suspension on your XR will help even more...., oh that's right..... ;)
I wish I could just keep both of them but I also have a Street Triple that I m thinking putting a quick shifter on. That little thing will outturn anybody! ))

Was also thinking of trading both of them in for a new Tiger 900, but as you might 've noticed in my other post the new look just killed it for me until at least I see it in person.

·
Registered
248 Posts
All else equal a 21" wheel and more trail can't possibly "turn better"
perhaps the improved suspension adds confidence

·
Vendor
209 Posts
I also have a Street Triple that I m thinking putting a quick shifter on.
Were you still interested in the QS kit for the Street Triple?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts