Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just made a deposit on the new trident and I’m really looking forward on riding it. But I have a question. Does the quickshifter make sense at low rpm. I mean what if you want to casually drive without killing the throttle. Something like a semi automatic if you will.

Or do you have to keep the revs high in order for it to work?

Does my question make sense? In essence what I’m asking is, I’m new and I’m worried I might be smashing the gear box (sort of) with my inexperience. So maybe just maybe, a quickshifter will help correct the errors adding also the fact that if you want you can drive faster when you feel more comfortable. I’m new to riding and I’m looking on some things that will make me feel more comfortable.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Don’t know about the trident but other quick shifter equipped bikes that I have ridden lurched abit when using the shifter at low revs. Smooth at higher revs but low revs, I use the clutch.
But I dont see whŷ it would wreck the gear box. Maybe ask the dealer.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have the “quick shifter easy” from healtech that’s universal and customizable on the fly for pretty cheap too, so when I feel the spark cut-off on low revs is awkward I just tweak it from the app via Bluetooth but honestly the modules’ default settings is what works best on my ‘16 Speed Triple R.

Rule of thumb: upshift when 7k rpms+ and blip the throttle when downshifting to release the engine load on gearbox. Done and done.

Now, the new Trident I expect it to come with a lower RPM range so make that 5-6k instead of 7k, keep the eyes up tho! 👀 🤟.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the “quick shifter easy” from healtech that’s universal and customizable on the fly for pretty cheap too, so when I feel the spark cut-off on low revs is awkward I just tweak it from the app via Bluetooth but honestly the modules’ default settings is what works best on my ‘16 Speed Triple R.

Rule of thumb: upshift when 7k rpms+ and blip the throttle when downshifting to release the engine load on gearbox. Done and done.

Now, the new Trident I expect it to come with a lower RPM range so make that 5-6k instead of 7k, keep the eyes up tho! 👀 🤟.
Thanks for the reply. I think for the trident it will be Lower for sure.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a Tiger 1200 with a quick-shifter and have ridden the 900 with one, it works brilliantly at low revs/speeds. Don't overthink it and use it at all revs, you will get a feel for it. It is not something you have to learn to use, you will be fullty comfortable with its operation in no time. I challenge you to change gear better manually.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Use the Triumph quick shifter on my 2019 Speed Triple. It’s works at low RPM or high.
Shifts up or down at any RPM like butter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello again anyone fitted the quickshifter on a trident yet? Any thoughts? Next week is delivery and I’ll put it on the bike. Just wondering if anyone had some feedback

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello again anyone fitted the quickshifter on a trident yet? Any thoughts? Next week is delivery and I’ll put it on the bike. Just wondering if anyone had some feedback
I'm assuming the install is pretty straight forward? I'm sorry as I'm not too familiar with quickshifters and how they get installed...and assuming configured (electronically)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm assuming the install is pretty straight forward? I'm sorry as I'm not too familiar with quickshifters and how they get installed...and assuming configured (electronically)
Actually the dealer will fit it. I’m asking feedback in regards to how it works. If it’s working seamlessly both up and down etc.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Challenge accepted!

Result? I can change gear better than any quick shifter, at any revs, when doing it manually.
From a guy who probably never used one.
Sound like my friend who says he will never own a bike with ABS. Says he can stop quicker than anyone with ABS.
😂

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Last time I looked there was a quickshifter on the KTM 1290 Super Duke I've had sitting in the garage alongside my S3 for a couple of years. I can certainly change gear quicker with it than without but I can change better without it. And yes, I can stop in a shorter distance with the ABS turned off than with it on but the same smarts that help me change gear better without a quickshifter also help me to stop better and in more control with ABS than without it. ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I guess this is subjective as to what mods each rider thinks is worth the money. Is this a mod that can be done by pretty easily (i.e. plug and play), or best to have the dealer install it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I guess this is subjective as to what mods each rider thinks is worth the money. Is this a mod that can be done by pretty easily (i.e. plug and play), or best to have the dealer install it?
Has to be programed by the dealer. Probably easier to just have them do it for a few extra bucks since it needs to be programed to tell the computer it is there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I installed the quickshifter on my Yamaha R3 at home and it took me about 2 hours and it was easy enough.

Triumph will do it for $90 for me during 1st service. So About $690 for the first service with QS installation.
Since it is a Triumph part, I am going to have them install it so that I can have the full warranty on the part and work.

It is comforting to hear that Triumph QS is buttery smooth because my R3 QS is only smooth at higher revs in upper gears. So it is only useful when accelerating quickly to freeway speed. R3 doesn't have drive by wire so QS only works with upshifts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts