Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Sodding quickshifter has just packed up again! 馃槨馃槨馃槨

The third one, original plus two replacements. Just 2750 miles on the clock FFS! Triumph have a major problem here and instead of investigating and fixing it, they keep refitting faulty components to our bikes.

Before some wag reminds me that I have a clutch and asks if I know how to use it, yes! But in the brief periods the QS does work, it's great and I've paid for it, so it needs to work reliably! I'll keep taking it back to them every single time it breaks, even if it's 50 times.

Please excuse my rant, it's just that this has taken the gloss off a sunny bank holiday ride I was really looking forward to 馃様

Registered
Tiger 900 Rally Pro
That is most worrying. I had one failure so far, but I'm now at 2400 kilometer. Fingers crossed, but is looks like Triumph has some work to do....

Registered
2010 Tbird 1600 2018 Tiger 1200 XRT
I'm wondering if the quick shifter parts and technology are the same for all their bikes, I have a 2018 Tiger 1200 I picked up a month or so ago and have put about 1,000 miles on it bringing it up to about 3,600 miles...I have fallen in love with the QS, especially downshifting into corners and I hope it stays reliable, I will say one thing, there is no need to use it harshly, a little bit of smarts on the throttle makes it work better then if ignored.

Reactions: SlimJim1

Registered
Tiger 900 Rally Pro
The QS is a delight. I owned two Yamaha Tracer 900 GT's and I hardly used the QS on them.
But with the Tiger I find myself using it almost always when shifting up. It's very subtle and works very good. Downshifting is also good but not quite as good up shifting.

That being said, having to replace them 3 times in 2750 miles is not how it's supposed to be.
For now, mine is still in warranty but I sure hope Triumph will fix this.

Registered
2010 Tbird 1600 2018 Tiger 1200 XRT
For me I have found that upshifting works best if I'm in the throttle at least a little, Or a lot, but if I'm completely off the throttle an upshift feels too violent. I don't like it so I use the clutch in those situations. Down shifting is most pleasant if throttle is off and the revs not too high. It's great coming in for a stop.

Registered
Tiger 900 Rally Pro
I think that is exactly the way it works. Up shifting with a fair amount of throttle and down with throttle closed.

Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro
Sorry to hear about the problem you are having. Do they fit a new quick shifter to the bike each time, plug it in and see what happens?

I've heard of a few people having problems but three times on a new bike points to something deeper. In the three months I've had my GT Pro I've put about 9,000 kms on the bike and no problem at all. I can't see how you can fluke getting three faulty units in a row. There must be something happening that they are not looking for.

Premium Member
I think that is exactly the way it works. Up shifting with a fair amount of throttle and down with throttle closed.
I don鈥檛 know if all up and down QS are the same but BMW says upshift at steady throttle. For a smooth 1st to 2nd on my R1250R, RPMs have to be over 5000. I don鈥檛 do that much. For downshifting, the throttle must be closed. Very handy around town between lights.

Registered
I am happy with my QS on Tiger 900. Put a couple of thousand miles on it so far. You need to have a steady throttle to upshift. Also, it took me some time to find optimal
revs and throttle amount when it shifts smoothly. There is no fixed number as it depends on your weight and whenever you going uphill or downhill but it is generally around 5K RPMs in my case. Shifter too early to too soon causes the bike to jerk.

Registered
600 mi鈥檚 on my Rally Pro and coming to like the QS. Takes a bit to remember the differences. Noticed this issue posted elsewhere and am wondering if there isn鈥檛 a torque spec that could be cracking the sensor like an engine control module knock sensor.

Registered
Little over 14K miles on my RP, and the QS works fine. It can be a bit temperamental, if I have been holding a higher RPM for any length of time and decide to up shift, it is pretty rough. I have to either increase the RPM 300-400, or lower it the same, and then increase it. I usually use the clutch if I am in that situation.

Registered
Tiger 900 Rally Pro, Bobber Black... and an off topic... KTM EXC 350
For me I have found that upshifting works best if I'm in the throttle at least a little, Or a lot, but if I'm completely off the throttle an upshift feels too violent. I don't like it so I use the clutch in those situations. Down shifting is most pleasant if throttle is off and the revs not too high. It's great coming in for a stop.
I agree and have had similar experiences on other bikes, if it is a delicate shift clutch is the way to ride the bike. If it is more aggressive then a quick shifter comes into its own.

Registered
2019 Triumph bobber black

The third one, original plus two replacements. Just 2750 miles on the clock FFS! Triumph have a major problem here and instead of investigating and fixing it, they keep refitting faulty components to our bikes.

Before some wag reminds me that I have a clutch and asks if I know how to use it, yes! But in the brief periods the QS does work, it's great and I've paid for it, so it needs to work reliably! I'll keep taking it back to them every single time it breaks, even if it's 50 times.

Please excuse my rant, it's just that this has taken the gloss off a sunny bank holiday ride I was really looking forward to 馃様
I read this whole thread, I hope you get this ironed out before the bike gets out of warranty, as for the rest you LOL you should have bought a Honda automatic馃槅

Registered
So on the track, if you are on brake from 100 mph in 5th gear and approaching a hairpin turn and you want to get down to 3rd gear, will it blip the throttle to rev match if you downshift with no throttle?

Registered
Thunderbird 900 (1995); Tiger 900 Rally Pro (2020)

The thread seems to have deviated a bit from the OP about the QS breaking to how to use a QS.

Back to the topic of the OP: I have a question for Bloke up the road. How did it break? It would be good to know whether there was something particular you were doing at the moment they broke (like at the moment you shifted up) , was it a sudden or progressive thing? Could you still ride and gear shift normally without the QS when it happened or were you completely stuck? Was there any obvious damage to the part(s) when they replaced it. These are important questions because it could be a failure of the part itself or something it鈥檚 connected to.

Obviously, Triumph will only seriously look into it if enough people have that same problem, otherwise they will just continue to replace it until the warranty expires.

I don鈥檛 use mine much on my RP and have only done 2.5K km so far. I鈥檓 worried I鈥檒l get so used to using it with the RP that when I ride my 鈥95 Tbird, I鈥檒l keep forgetting to use the clutch. I鈥檒l start using it a lot for the next months to see if it holds up.

Registered
Thunderbird 900 (1995); Tiger 900 Rally Pro (2020)
Ps. Actually, I find regular gear shifting on the RP to be a real pleasure. The gear change is really nice and smooth on mine and the clutch very light. I have had 4 other Triumphs and all had very clunky gear changes.
However, I fully understand the OPs anger as something costing this much should work and not keep failing. Will be great to know if other people on the forum have this problem.

Another thing: I think you are not supposed to use it between 1st and 2nd, if I remember correctly. Could trying to QS from 1st to 2nd cause a failure?

Also some of these failures can unfortunately be very individual specific problems of a particular vehicle and not an overall quality issue. For example, one of my car headlight bulbs will break for sure in the next day or so if i put the lights on before starting the engine. The garage doesn鈥檛 believe me but I鈥檝e literally gone through 20 headlight bulbs in a year. I鈥檝e done the experiment to test this so I know that鈥檚 the problem. However, the garage won鈥檛 do anything as it鈥檚 not a known problem with this model and basically don鈥檛 believe me. I now always have to carry extra headlight bulbs with me and will definitely never buy a French car ever again!

Registered
Tiger 900 Rally Pro
I read this whole thread, I hope you get this ironed out before the bike gets out of warranty, as for the rest you LOL you should have bought a Honda automatic
I assume you neither have a QS nor experience with the Honda dual clutch (technically not an automatic). Otherwise you would know it's a difference like night and day...

Premium Member
QS has been around for a long time for racing. It鈥檚 not intended to be an automatic transmission that gives effortless shifting around town. You can get a smooth shift from 1st to 2nd but you have to be flogging it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
The thread seems to have deviated a bit from the OP about the QS breaking to how to use a QS.

Back to the topic of the OP: I have a question for Bloke up the road. How did it break? It would be good to know whether there was something particular you were doing at the moment they broke (like at the moment you shifted up) , was it a sudden or progressive thing? Could you still ride and gear shift normally without the QS when it happened or were you completely stuck? Was there any obvious damage to the part(s) when they replaced it. These are important questions because it could be a failure of the part itself or something it鈥檚 connected to.

Obviously, Triumph will only seriously look into it if enough people have that same problem, otherwise they will just continue to replace it until the warranty expires.

I don鈥檛 use mine much on my RP and have only done 2.5K km so far. I鈥檓 worried I鈥檒l get so used to using it with the RP that when I ride my 鈥95 Tbird, I鈥檒l keep forgetting to use the clutch. I鈥檒l start using it a lot for the next months to see if it holds up.
Each time it's happened it has been gradual over the course of a ride. First it takes more and more foot pressure to change gear, then the QS will only work in some gears and not others (up and down) until eventually it stops working at all. The clutch and gear change still works fine without the QS so I am not stuck and can still ride the bike.

Sometimes If I leave the bike for a day or two it will work intermittently for a while when I first get back on but then stops again after just a few miles. There has been no physical damage to the QS and each time it has been replaced not recalibrated or whatever. It may be coincidence, but just before the latest failure I had an issue with the clutch slipping, particularly when accelerating briskly. It took all of the adjustment at the lever and a little at the engine end to correct it.

I should say that prior to the failures the QS has been a delight, buttery smooth and much more useful than I imagined, especially with a pillion on the back. Which is why I want it fixed. Pretty sure I am using it correctly with mechanical sympathy and not abusing it.

I contacted my dealer who were ready to book me in for my 3rd warranty replacement but I have hesitated. There is clearly a problem here and I don't simply want a defective component fitted which based on experience will likely fail again in a few hundred miles. I am currently in an email exchange directly with Triumph about this. Let's see how it goes.

Registered
1200XE and Thunderbird Storm
I contacted my dealer who were ready to book me in for my 3rd warranty replacement but I have hesitated. There is clearly a problem here and I don't simply want a defective component fitted which based on experience will likely fail again in a few hundred miles. I am currently in an email exchange directly with Triumph about this. Let's see how it goes.
Well they're not going to re-engineer the part especially for you so you may as well get the broken one replaced again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts