Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a cheap and easy performance enhancing mod in the stickies about replacing the 955 throttle grips with a 1050 which has a bigger cam and turns the throttle to less than 1/4 turn from closed to WOT. This works and is a real cheap and easy thing to do. My cost at the dealer for the grip was $10.15. Out with the ld and in with the new and adjust the cable PROPERLY.

The only rub or question I have now is the model the grip came off.
The PN# is T2040331

Now I'm thinking this is the PN for a 1050 TIGER throttle, If so then it should work for the 1050 Sprints too.

The 1050 guys can check by seeing how much roll your throttle takes. If you pick a spot on the grip at the 12 O'clock position and rotate the grip to WOT and the spot goes past the 9:00 into the 7:00 area you have a small cam also.

the 1050 guys that might be interested can check on this and I'll do some checking too but that PN is the correct number at least for the 955 bikes if not the 1050 Sprints too.
You RS guys (STC) might want to look at this too.

Don

Reactions: El Fenix

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
1/4 turn is a great mod, however it makes the throttle resonse too sensitive sometimes, When I first got my 1050 it was quite tricky, the throttle was too sensitive,like an on/off switch particularly on bumpy roads. I got used to it quickly. I put a throttlemeister on last year. It removed the hyper sensitivity with a slight amount of drag but the throttle still snaps closed. I came off of a Guzzi LeMans with 40mm pumpers with big return springs that were 3/4 turn and needed 2 hands to twist it open.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's why I put in, "for those that may be interested".
It depends on the person's comfort level. It took about a 1.5 seconds for me to love the response. Others might differ. A lot depends on how "loose" and comfortable one rides. If a person is tight they may not like it. But at $10.15 total it is cheap enough to find out.

BTW my best riding partner Mikey has a Goose LeMans1 gray market 1000cc with a racing rear. That thing is one hotrod. It's kind of funny watching him at a stop from behind wiggling side to side:D. I've ridden it and it has a quick turn.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I went to my dealer in Belleville today (went saturday but they were closed for the holiday weekend) to get pn# T2040331. It came up as a grip for a 1050 Tiger, but only the grip. The actuator is another part number, and is around $45. It's the actuator that has the cam on it. That's what Teresa at the dealer told me. So, I'll be getting the actuator in a week or so. I had to get a marker light, and I didn't figure for the 40 dollar part.

Just wanted to give a heads up that it's the actuator that's needed, and not the grip.

Still a great idea and I'm going to do it as soon as I can.

---Charlie

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WRONG!!!, Cancel your order. They don't know anything and are selling you a bill of goods you don't need.

PN# T2040331 is the grip, tube and cam in one assy. That is all you need. Absolutely NO ACTUATOR IS INVOLVED!

I'm looking at the bag right now that the grip came in and the cost WAS $10.15 US, installed just like I said. This is the grip tube and cam in one. There is NO need for anything else except to properly adjust the top end of the cable.

I'd suggest calling Ayron at Cycle Parts in Eugene. He knows what he's doing. 1-541-343-8949.

Tell Teresa she needs to go back to parts school 101.

Don

I went to my dealer in Belleville today (went saturday but they were closed for the holiday weekend) to get pn# T2040331. It came up as a grip for a 1050 Tiger, but only the grip. The actuator is another part number, and is around $45. It's the actuator that has the cam on it. That's what Teresa at the dealer told me. So, I'll be getting the actuator in a week or so. I had to get a marker light, and I didn't figure for the 40 dollar part.

Just wanted to give a heads up that it's the actuator that's needed, and not the grip.

Still a great idea and I'm going to do it as soon as I can.

---Charlie

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
OK! I haven't ordered the actuator yet......I was waiting until next week.

When I go to the dealer next week to pick up my light, I'll order the grip. On her parts list, it showed up as a grip, and didn't say anything about the tube and the cam. I don't know if she missed something, or it didn't give the info on the computer.

I'll just give her the part number, and ask her to order it.

Thanks for setting me straight.

---Charlie

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Charlie, Just to make sure I rechecked with Ayron and this is the correct PN#

And mystery solved it is for the Tiger so should work the same on 1050 Sprints too.

Don

·
Registered
444 Posts
Wonder how much the heated version runs.

Just as a FYI, the dual-throttle 2002-2004 955 grip will work with the single cable 1999-2001 single cable setups (running it on my '99, used a 2002+ heated grip kit).

So the 1050 dual-cable/bigger cam might work with the single cable bikes as well.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Hi Charlie, Just to make sure I rechecked with Ayron and this is the correct PN#

And mystery solved it is for the Tiger so should work the same on 1050 Sprints too.

Don
I was going to call Ayron today, but you just saved me the trouble.:D
I'll call that part number in today and have it added to my order.
Thanks

---Charlie

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I ordered the part today. Should be in next week sometime.

Thanks for your help, Don.

---Charlie :motorbike2:

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hope you like it Charlie:D. If one likes a little better response this is up there with and 18th. front sprocket and fuel pressure regulator mod.

Any questions, just ask but it is really very easy, just adjust the cable properly and you're good to go.

Don

·
Registered
364 Posts
So this begs the question; if this other throttle tube will work for a quick turn throttle , then you can get the heated grip from the same bike right? If THAT works, does that heated grip have the wire running under instead of that thing sticking out the top of the grip? Could this be too good to be true?:eek:

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just ordered a Tiger grip/cam. Figured for 10 bucks it was worth a shot. I'll let you know when I get it.
From what I've seen, no. The tiger has the bigger cam. I believe the ST grip has the PN# ending in 330 where the Tiger is 331.

On the heated ones, you are on your own but the cam should be the same regardless.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I picked up the part yesterday. T2040331 has the grip, tube and cam just like you said it would, Don. Hopefully this weather will clear up and I can get the grip on after work today. I'll let you know.

---Charlie

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've been reading some of the mods posted here and they sound great, particularly the 18T front sprocket, the increased fuel pressure and the quick throttle. My plan is to take it slowly and do the mods one at a time until I'm happy with my 955. :)

I'm thinking that I'll do the 18T first as that seems a no brainer, followed by upping the fuel pressure to 60 psi and, then maybe, the quick throttle. I got to ride a Speed Triple on the track at Mid Ohio last year and, frankly, the throttle was a little twitchy for me. The hp on that bike is more than my 955, but is that similar response/feel to what I'll get?

Any comments on my plan?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I apologize for the hijack, but...

I don't know which bike you have, but I'm a BIG fan of the FPR mod.

I did mine while the FPR was on the bike. Only prep required was to take off the seat and remove the big right side rear fairing bolt. Gently pull the fairing off the pin mount, and then hold it down a skosh with a bungee to clear the FPR.

I used a 1/4" drive extension (6") and a deadblow hammer to depress the dome on the FPR.

Unless you are really anal, and are just looking for the performance increase, not 60psi plus or minus half a pound, this method works fine.

Just to ease your mind, the FPR has a big flange that sits against the fuel pump assy' plate. It is sealed by an o-ring that is located around the body of the regulator, so smacking the thing will not hurt the seal.

It doesn't take much effort to depress the dome (so don't haul back and tattoo it!), and the whole operation took me maybe 15 minutes, and cost me nothing.

There are several threads on the FPR mod, so do your research, then go for it. It makes a HUGE difference in starting and throttle response, and that pathetic little whining noise the system makes as it pressurizes went away on my bike.

I couldn't tell you if the bike develops more power but IIRC, I gained several miles per tank when I did mine.

I've never seen the 1050 setup, so I don't know if the FPR mod applies to them.

HTH!

pr

1 - 20 of 35 Posts