Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
You need an exentric "quick" action throttle I think?
I'm not sure exactly what to call it, but I'd love it if I could keep most of my control down low and then have a lobe or something that makes the last half of my throttle go by very quickly.

I know this much: the stock throttle is way too long.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Had a look through the thread.
Just wondering if anybody has put an R6 throttle tube on a 2011+ S3.
If so what year R6 & did you need to use the Yamaha housing?
Thanks.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Not sure if anyone is still interested in this thread but I did this mod on Friday using the pvc method and wow what difference. I went on a 270 mile ride yesterday with all kinds of situations from rough roads to city traffic and had absolutely no problems. Thanks to all who contributed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Welp, just ordered an R6 throttle tube and a cable housing from an 08 R6 for a whopping....$19 shipped...thank you Ebay. I did this exact mod on my 07 GSXR600 and LOVED it. Some people have stated here that they are worried it would make the bike less manageable due to less twist required for more throttle; honestly it made throttle control easier and much more precise. Think, smaller movements, more precision. I'll report back once I get it tossed on the Speed triple.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The largest diameter R6 throttle tube (40.5mm, 2006+) part number is 2C0-26240-00-00 (hyphens optional) and the resulting fully-closed to fully-open throttle rotation is 68° when installed on a 2006 S3.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Installed R6 throttle assembly, took me forever.

Not had a chance to test ride yet (1am now) however rolling the throttle feels slightly rough. Snaps back okay, but feels like I'm rubbing somewhere in the assembly.

Halp :(

I think its the 'inside' of the two little guides inside the R6 assembly that are rubbing. Thoughts please!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi guys,
I thought that I’d post up some stuff that I’ve being doing to my 2007 speed triple, I know that the quick action throttle has been well covered on this forum but I’ve gone a stage further and got rid of the heavy action throttle that the mega strong return spring causes. I thought that the return spring was too strong even before I converted my bike to a quick action throttle and a quick action throttle only makes the situation worse! Now don’t get me wrong I’m no ‘limp wrist’ but I found that just cracking the throttle slightly open was a real pain in the ass.
Ages ago I modified the standard triumph throttle by gluing a strip of aluminium around the tube in order to increase its diameter, I only bothered to measure it recently, it turned out to be 40mm. I had to grind away the parts of the throttle tube casing and cut the ends of the outer cables as already described in other posts. After reading other posts on this forum I decided to get hold of an R6 throttle tube, casing and cables, at that time I did not know that my tube was already 40mm which is my own stupid fault for not checking! I still wanted to use the R6 setup when it turned up so I decided to glue an aluminium strip to it, this increased its diameter to 44mm, I had to grind two little ‘pips’ in the R6 casing to get the modified tube to fit, I found that I could not get the R6 cables to work but the previously modified Triumph ones fitted the casing and allowed the tube to turn, the problem that I now had was that there was not enough free play in the cables, I got round this by modifying the bracket that is mounted to the throttle body. To be honest I cannot see much difference between a 40mm tube and my 44mm tube but I guess there must be some difference!
With regards to the throttle return spring I took a few measurements by wrapping some string around the throttle and then pulling on it with a cheap digital ‘spring’ weighing gauge. Unfortunately I was unable to take any measurements with a totally standard setup because I had already modified the Triumph tube and I had done some work to weaken the throttle return spring however I did take some measurements with the standard R6 tube and a standard spring setup using a spare throttle body that I purchased from ebay. The results are as follows:-

Triumph modified tube (40mm) plus slightly modified return spring setup:-
To just crack the throttle open required 2.4Kg, to achieve WOT required 3.4Kg.

R6 throttle and a standard spring setup:-
To just crack the throttle open required 2.8Kg, to achieve WOT required 4.0Kg.

Modified R6 tube (44mm) and fully modified spring setup:-
To just crack the throttle required 1.6Kg, to achieve WOT required 2.0Kg.

In order to modify the throttle pulley I removed it from the throttle body, I found that I did not have to reset TPS or anything on the bike when I refitted it, it is a little tricky getting the spring in its new location hole whilst stopping any of its coils stuck under the throttle pulley so be careful whilst doing the retaining nut back up! (I used a drop of thread loc on the nut). I did in fact modify my old pulley just by grinding at the location that the spring normally locates on but in the end so much got ground away that I was not happy with it, I got the feeling that the pulley might fall apart!

Before anyone ‘kicks’ off about this mod being dangerous because the throttle might not shut, well it certainly snaps shut with the handlebars in any position, the modification to the throttle cable bracket is only required if you go to a 44mm tube. I have set my system up so that there is only a fraction of free play (I hate free play!). The bike is a dream to ride now, wheelies are even easier, I run a standard rear sprocket and one tooth UP on the front (The opposite of what most people run), it will wheelie in second gear up to around 80mph (On a private road of course!). I’ve used Tune ECU to change the speedo reading by 4% because of the gearing. I hope that this post might prove useful to someone!

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Does anybody know if I can use a throttle tube meant for a two cable setup on my single cable 2000 speedy? If so that makes life easy as I can just use a 1050 tube to reduce the massive distance to WOT :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
I bought a 1050 throttle tube and I can confirm that it works fine, so from that I assume that any of the other throttle tubes mentioned in this thread should work fine except the larger ones which might need the cable sheath trimming as people have described. I only had to tweak the adjuster at the handlebar end a touch to get a little bit of slack.

141 - 152 of 152 Posts