Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

121 - 140 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Anyone know if this kit will work well on a 2011-2013 S3? And could you still install a heated grip kit like oxfords/hotgrips on top of it?

Any other cam kits like this out there other than rizoma?
I don't see why it wouldn't work. I haven't ridden a new S3 but it's pretty much the same process. Is the throttle as bad as the older Daytona and S3?

And yes, you can definitely install heated grips over those. I put on just regular grips but there's absolutely no reason why you couldn't install heated grips.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
First off I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this post, it has been very helpful. I was unhappy with the stock throttle tube so I purchased the Rizoma Grips and ran the largest cam. It seemed like a huge improvement from stock and I was happy until I started doing more track days. Lately I have found it difficult to get full throttle on the coming out of a corner and decided it was time to step up to the R6 throttle tube.

Overall I am much happier with the R6 throttle tube, and it really isn't that much larger than the Rizoma large throttle cam so it can still be smoothly rolled on (not the On/Off switch I thought it would be). I paid $24 shipped on ebay for the 08+ R6 tube, housing and cables. I ended up using the R6 housing to avoid modifying the stock one, which did require drilling the clip on due to the R6 housing having a locking pin to prevent the housing from moving.

Below are my measurements to help others decide which setup may be best for them.

Stock 06 955i Cam = 32.25mm

Rizoma Small Cam = 34.00mm

Rizoma Large Cam 37.85mm

08+ Stock R6 Cam = 40.75

Here are a few pictures to show the difference in turn between the tubes, (Stock 955, Rizoma Small, Rizoma Large, 08+ Stock R6)

I also used wire to better illustrate the difference in turns between the tubes (From left to right: 08+ Stock R6, Rizoma Large, Rizoma Small, Stock 05 955I)

·
Registered
111 Posts
quite interested in this mod now, since i have done the gear shifter (yz85) , starter cables and the rectifier upgrade!

got a 2007 speed triple 1050, which r6 years are required? is there any additional modifications that i would need to make?

thanks

calum

·
Registered
85 Posts
If I am following this whole thread correctly. If I wanted an easier turn to WOT that my stock 02 955I has, but not as agressive as say the 1/5th R6 tube, I could use a 1050 tube and still be quicker to WOT than stock, correct?

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
It will be slightly quicker, but in my opinion the R6 throttle tube is not that agressive (you still need to position your hand correctly to see wide open throttle when hanging off the bike). R6 throttle setup is the way to go if you aren't looking to ride the track.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Guess I'm going to have to order the tube. No one has the R1 or R6 tubes on stock locally. 1 dealer told me he wouldn't order it for me because it could open his dealership up to unlimited liability claims.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
That is such BS. I'd call them back and tell them "oh wait, did I say S3, I meant R6". W t f do they care? People buy crap for their bikes that aren't stock all the time, does he feel liable for any issues for every aftermarket part he sells?? There's no liability unless they install it. Its the same as any other stock part they sell you, if you mess it up and your bike explodes, its not their fault for selling it to you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That is such BS. I'd call them back and tell them "oh wait, did I say S3, I meant R6". W t f do they care? People buy crap for their bikes that aren't stock all the time, does he feel liable for any issues for every aftermarket part he sells?? There's no liability unless they install it. Its the same as any other stock part they sell you, if you mess it up and your bike explodes, its not their fault for selling it to you.
I am going a different route that has swappable cams. Should arrive in the next few days.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Some of the lads that race Lambrettas use concentric throttle cams. Kinda teardrop shaped instead of round. The effect is the first 50% of the twist controls only the first 25% of the throttle opening. The next 50% of the twist controls the last 75% to WOT. This means you get a lot of fine control low down but easy to snap to wide open. I made one of these for my own race GSXR. Worked fine, but for my use I ended up going back to a large R6 cam.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Some of the lads that race Lambrettas use concentric throttle cams. Kinda teardrop shaped instead of round. The effect is the first 50% of the twist controls only the first 25% of the throttle opening. The next 50% of the twist controls the last 75% to WOT. This means you get a lot of fine control low down but easy to snap to wide open. I made one of these for my own race GSXR. Worked fine, but for my use I ended up going back to a large R6 cam.
This interests me a lot. Got any more info? Also, why did you go back to an R6 cam?

·
Registered
75 Posts
After reading the entire thread, i still dont know what options i have for a 99 speed triple, with the single throttle cable.

The original throttletube is a very smal 30 ish size.
I don't want the rizoma grips, just plane old rubber ones.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ach! I can't read dutch!

I'd really like to get a throttle tube that leaves the first half of the throttle mostly stock, and then allows you to get to WOT way faster.

I can't get to WOT without repositioning my hand, or grabbing the throttle weird before accellerating in anticipation.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ach! I can't read dutch!

I'd really like to get a throttle tube that leaves the first half of the throttle mostly stock, and then allows you to get to WOT way faster.

I can't get to WOT without repositioning my hand, or grabbing the throttle weird before accellerating in anticipation.
The first link is Dutch, the seccond is German :rolleyes:

You need an exentric "quick" action throttle I think?

121 - 140 of 152 Posts