Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to go to work today to pick up a student roster. Somehow it took 25 miles for me to do the 14 mile roundtrip...wonder why?? Anyhow, it was drizzly, cool, and foggy. Most of the time in weather like that I only see this other guy on a ginormous BMW dual sport, but today being Saturday some of the Harley dudes were out. Man did they look cold in their "gay pirate" outfits. I cannot imagine how difficult it is to stay warm, not to mention dry in those costumes. ATGATT!! I was dry, warm (not toasty), and comfortable. I guess I just don't understand.

Further, over the past week I have been oogling a new HD V-Rod Muscle...Wow!! That is one hot looking bike. Then I looked at the price....OMG. It would also require quite a few farkles to "make it my own", if you will. Total would be just north of $25K. I cannot imagine. I could get a new Sprint and a Kawi ZX-14 both for that.....hey, there's an idea....wonder if she would go for that....hmmm. You gotta hand it to genius...HD will get their price for that bike....I just don't quite understand, I guess.

Anyway, got back on my '01 Sprint....smiled really big all the way home.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I guess everyone has to have a Harley once in their life. Kind of like a convertible. I'm lucky that I got mine out of the way with a 1949 30 some years ago before it became a fashion statement. She was a good machine though.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny, you say that. I was born and raised here in the deep southland, Georgia, and well all equated motorcycle=HD. I keep wanting to find something there that gets my attention for a reasonable price. It doesn't seem possible any more. Not when so many other very capable bikes, without all the baggage (history???) are available much cheaper.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
There are ways arounds this. I had two convertibles and skipped the Harley.

I guess everyone has to have a Harley once in their life. Kind of like a convertible. I'm lucky that I got mine out of the way with a 1949 30 some years ago before it became a fashion statement. She was a good machine though.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Harley is going to sell the new Street Tracker (I think that's the name) in the US after all. On that note, I think many (not all) Harley riders have so deeply bought into the bad-boy marketing that even they won't buy a Harley that doesn't fit their image of what they think a Harley is supposed to be. I doubt they'll sell many V-ROD Muscles or Street Trackers, at least not to the "Harley guys."

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I disagree on the "Street Tracker", more correctly know as the XR1200. It's based on the perennial favorite "entry level" H-D Sportster platform and has been well received in Europe. Judging by the many comments I've seen from numerous sources, I think it will do well here, also. It's not going to offer the performance we have come to expect of course but the name and reputation, coupled with relative gains in power and handling should make this bike a popular model for H-D. It's a nod to Harley's heritage and that's a strong selling point in itself.
See these two reviews, but I don't expect to see one in my garage!

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2008/06/harleydavidson-xr1200-coming-h.html

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/harley-davidson/2009-harleydavidson-sportster-xr1200-review-87709.html

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Xr1200

I agree that it is going to be a big seller. Check out the comments on the XLForums website. Those guys are ecstatic about the new model. I hope, for Harley's sake, that a younger clientelle will jump on this. But, again, I think the price point is a bit high for most people. If I understand it right, in Europe there is going to be a racing series for this bike, somewhat sponsored by Harley. I hope that they continue to be a success. I just don't see any way that I will be a part of it, unless that lottery ticket pays generously.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
North of 25k could put a new 1098 in the garage. Yeah that would be a tough choice HD or Duck - Let me think :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
I got my licence because I always wanted a Harley, my father in law has one, my brother in law too... I had my heart set on my licence and a fat boy...

I got a Honda vtx 125 just to get a feel for biking and practice, and to see what a cruiser felt like, even a small one.

A few months on a CBF500 and I learned to appreciate more modern bike and also understand that Harleys are made for US roads. (After driving over there it feels very different to here).

Past my test and a Sprint just called to me (I want something to throw stuff and a passenger on and travel).

Now the wifes past, I'm considering a 2nd bike and the question is... Do we get somethign like a CBF or Street Triple, maybe a Bonneville or... save up for the fat boy...

Decisions

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
What I am saying is that there is a certain segment of Harley riders that won't buy it. The people that seem to be excited about the XR1200 are mostly riders from a broader spectrum of riding styles, not the sanitized weekend Hell's Angel type.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
You're absolutely correct, Tri- oomph, but the die hard HD crowd didn't buy into the water cooled VRod, helmets as necessary protection, riding gear, non- black T- shirts, rider training, etc, etc.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well am glad that even the weekend wanna be hells angels types are at least on a cycle. So I am careful about raggin on those folks too much.

Whith that said. What I DONT understand it this. I have two friends with new HD's Both of them paid over 20K for their bikes. One has less than 3k on it and has been in the shop 3-4 times already. The second has LESS than 300 miles on it and has been in the shop for over a week to fix two problems.

A bike for that much money....should not have that many difficulities.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well no it shouldn't, but I'm sure there's others with triumph, honda, whatever, who have had something little pop up, hey we've even got a thread on a new sprint that had sticky luggage and a weird fuel level thing.

But...

You mention wise words, indeed when I got my Sprint, after raving about HD's to a friend who has one.. it doesn't matter what bike you have, its just good that you are riding.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts