Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,
I'm going to start using a set of the Bonnie panniers, which mount underneath the seat. I'd like to be able to remove them easily, so I'm looking for the most convenient way of unbolting the seat. Looks like there are lots of choices out there for tool free bolts and release pins: from New Bonneville, British Customs, Sergent, etc.
Any consensus about which works best?
Thanks, J

·
Registered
46 Posts
Seat Pins

I found some at Ace hardware. Cost about $3.00 for two. They have a steel ring on one end and are 1/4" dia shaft about 2" long. I had to drill out the threaded holes in the frame but these fit snug plus they have a spring loaded ball on the end of the shaft.

I would never go back to the allen head screws.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
I found some at Ace hardware. Cost about $3.00 for two.
Are you talking about Sargent quick release pins?. The makers site has them listed at $36.95 a pair on this page:

http://www.sargentcycle.com/acfastaccess.htm

I wish I could get some but they only ship to the US, and the site doesn't really make clear exactly how they fit. Notice that on the photo they show a pair, but they're different sizes. No size option is given in the order form though.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'd go for the seat bolts from newbonnie.their good quality and have'nt rattled loose yet (6 months} :) J.b

·
Registered
196 Posts
Johnny

Make sure the bolts are tight when you go for a ride. I lost one on my last ride. They are good and makes it easy to get the seat off. I will buy another set soon and when I loose one of them I will still have a spare. This bike is starting to cost!!!

Chris

·
Registered
781 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Heres a cheap almost free mod costs pence (cents) and has been working just fine on my Thruxton for a year now.

Buy two ordinary hex head bolts with the same thread as the Triumph ones. Thread them through the lugs on the frame but from behind i.e the other way, so that you end up with two threaded studs protruding from where the seat bolts normally fit. You might have to drop the mudguard and bend the frame tab slightly ( I did) Then get two wing nuts. Put the seat on threading the seat tabs over the studs. Fix the seat on with the wing nuts. Much cheaper than fancy over priced extender bolts. Works just as well as you can now remove the seat easily with your hands.

Here's some pics to explain.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Tough choices. The seat pins look easiest to get on and off (and the hardware store ones sound like a cheap alternative) but I hate to take a drill to my bike. The wing nut option is low impact -- and low cost -- but look hardest to access. And sounds like the New Bonnie screws are prone to fall off. Ugh.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had Triumph fabric bags on my '02 Bonneville, with a Corbin Smuggler seat, and it was extremely hard to get the OEM bolts started because of the thickness of the connecting strap between the two bags. Even with the OEM seat, it was hard to get the bolts started, because of the bags. I slightly damaged a couple of threads on the frame, but managed to get them back into shape. Not something you'd want to do very often.

The quick release "pit pins" are a good idea, but get a large enough diameter pin, so you can overdrill a "tight fitting" hole for the pins. The body of the pins have to long enough so you can reach in with them, but you don' want an excess amount of pin shaft sticking through the hole, causing wobble - need a long body with a short shaft.

Wing nuts don't sound good at all, to me ... seems like it would be very hard to reach in with the nut balanced between two LONG fingers, without dropping it.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Wing nuts don't sound good at all, to me ... seems like it would be very hard to reach in with the nut balanced between two LONG fingers, without dropping it.
All I can say is they are a doddle. Very easy to reach unless you have great fat mutant hands:D! and cost pence. They stay tight and I haven't lost one yet. And if I did its an easy fix from any hardware store. The big plus, you don't need any tools to remove the seat. So its do able if you need to at the side of the road. Really don't knock it till you try it. but go ahead spend more money if you want.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ive got the new bonnys on mine. Been on there for a year. I give um a twist every now and again but they are never loose. Easy to grip, I would recommend them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
extender bolts

I bought my T100 used and it had the extender bolts. Stretched across them was a thick rubber band. Now I know why!! They haven't loosened yet.
Todd

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have some of those already on, but I want something to make my outrageously expensive Corbin seat even easier to steal:D
Yer I think that way sometimes,I mean if I can take it off,whats stopping some monkey pulling the seat ? Maybe TRIUMPH know something we don't J.B.:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yer I think that way sometimes,I mean if I can take it off,whats stopping some monkey pulling the seat ? Maybe TRIUMPH know something we don't J.B.:)
Not sure, but it seems that the kind of people with the mentality to go around pinching bikes and removing parts from them are generally more interested in plastic-rockets or modern naked bikes. Retro or older bikes don't seem get as much attention from them, apparently.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Quick Release

I cut the head off a couple of Allen head bolts, cross drilled a couple of small holes and slotted the ends. Put some Loctite in the bolt holes and threaded the bolts in.

Epoxied a couple of bushings in the seat and got R pins at the hardware store for a couple of bucks.

Now all I do is pull the pins and the seat is on/off in a couple of seconds.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts