Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just picked up a 71 tiger, there is nothing connected to the oil pressure switch, and the oil light stays on at all times. i assume this would have to be normal? i thought maybe the red light wouldn't come on at all if there was nothing connected to the switch. thanks

ezra loomis

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Hi ezra loomis,

Yes, it is normal, if you take the wire that is meant to attach to the connector (it's white or white/brown on a 71) and short it to earth you will find the light goes out.
Imagine, the oil pressure keeps the switch open and the light off, the minute the oil pressure drops the switch closes and the light comes one.

I hope this helps

Webby

·
Registered
447 Posts
The oil pressure switch is normally closed (NC) to ground, which lights the indicator when there is no pressure. If there is no wire on the switch and the light is on, there has to be a short somewhere--possibly the disconnected switch wire is touching something.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Yes, Ed is correct, sorry for posting the wrong information :eek:
For some reason, I thought it was the opposite, to double check I had a look on my bike and pulled the connector off the oil pressure switch, and sure enough, the light goes OFF.

Webby

1 - 4 of 4 Posts