Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just a very quick poll: If you had to pick ONE and ONLY ONE upgrade to improve handling on a Thruxton (or any Triumph for that matter) what would it be?

More specifically, handling in turns at speed, so you don't feel that the bike will come out from under you...something to provide a more "planted" feel with the road.

The obvious one that comes to my mind immediately is better rubber, but want to see how many others weigh in with such things as shocks, forks. dampers etc.

Remember it would be what you would do FIRST and could be the ONLY upgrade, hypothetically of course! ;)

Thanks, I look forward to all your input!

Rob

·
Registered
666 Posts
If I had to pick just one I would say shocks cause the stockers are junk. But we all know there is no such thing as just one. Thats just silly. First one maybe, but only one...... right........this stuff is like crack and we all know it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew I'd get called on that pretty damn quick! ;) It'll NEVER be just one..but getting a sense of what one would do first is certainly helpful. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Shocks. The rubber will get changed anyway, so change that when needed. I have been happy with my Metzlers, anyway. Shocks.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hi all,

Just a very quick poll: If you had to pick ONE and ONLY ONE upgrade to improve handling on a Thruxton (or any Triumph for that matter) what would it be?

More specifically, handling in turns at speed, so you don't feel that the bike will come out from under you...something to provide a more "planted" feel with the road.

The obvious one that comes to my mind immediately is better rubber, but want to see how many others weigh in with such things as shocks, forks. dampers etc.

Remember it would be what you would do FIRST and could be the ONLY upgrade, hypothetically of course! ;)

Thanks, I look forward to all your input!

Rob

17 inch front wheel

Well knock me down with a feather Triumph have already brought out the 17inch SE

·
Registered
196 Posts
Trident

Shocks as the first call followed by at least a change of fork oil from the original.. Just done it on the weekend and it has improved the feel of the bike. Also it is probably the cheapest upgrade of handling.

Chris

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input so far everyone. Without opening up a whole can of worms over best shocks, can I ask you guys which shocks you went with? Been on the fence with a couple of the brands discussed in length on this forum.

Thanks!

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have progressive fork springs and adjustable damping hagon shocks in the rear. Feels like it is on rails in turns.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ikons for me. They got pretty good press on these forums, and they come from just down the road from me. I am happy with my choice.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
New shocks for the rear AND Ricor Intiminators up front... you can't very well do one without the other. As far as which shocks... I currently have 7610-series Ikons, which are good. But I'm looking at upgrading to G-series YSS shocks. (Hey... I said the Ikons were "good", not "great".)

·
Registered
716 Posts
improved ride and cornering

I put the new "intiminator" drop in dampers in the front forks and it worked well and easy to install...the 50% off price was nice too...
My favorite shock that I have used on several bikes over the years is WORKS PERFORMANCE they build the shock for YOU and your weight and riding style and specific for your bike...rebuildable...I went with the lowest cost Works shocks because they work GREAT.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It would appear that shocks are coming out as the leading choice so far.

In terms of improved handling in turns and twisties would shocks still be the first upgrade or would tires be the better upgrade for handling in turns than shocks? My concern is that my bike doesn't feel planted in turns at speed.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I'd go with progressive springs on the front, Ikons on the rear, BT45's or Sport Demons tyres and a steering damper for confidence but since you blokes insist on only one then I would vote for Ikons on the rear (value for money and a significant improvement over EOM shocks)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Easy answer-
Racetech emulators with new springs and oil.
Just got some on mine and it's a completely different bike.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts