Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know about you, but my size 12s find it extremely difficult to deploy the sidestand on my'07 Thruxton. The little arm that sticks out has a slippery little ball on it and it's really close in to the muffler. So this morning I got my handyman propane torch (actually MAPP gas), heated up the bend in that little engagement arm, and straightened it a little with some channel locks. Waited for it to air cool (quenching makes metal more brittle), steel wooled the heat flaked paint, and retouched it with some spray enamel. Now it sits further away from the muffler and sticks out a little further, but still doesn't get in the way of anything. Total labor time about 10 minutes. I don't know if other models/years have the same set-up, but this mod makes it work way better. Thought I would pass it on.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have the same problem with mine and its a right ballache. However I'm not 100% convinced taking a blow torch to it is going to do the main stand any good.

·
Registered
381 Posts
No worries, torch it. Had to do it when I installed my exhaust, I had to bend it or I'd hit the pipe. Just put a little primer on it and spray it black and you are golden

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No risk

Well, it wasn't a big torch, just a handheld. Second, I didn't touch the main stand, just the arm that is welded to it that you use to deploy the sidestand. The sidestand itself never got hot enough that I couldn't touch it with bare hands. You'll be surprised at how much better it works. I bent it only about 3/4". Next up, 130/90 watt headlight w/ a relay kit!

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Careful..... you can grind the stand on these bikes in the corners if you bend ot much and they have much less forgivness than the foot pegs....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts