Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Thruxton and want to put heated grips on it.

I have just been told by a dealer that oxford, nor anyone else he knows, does heated grips for the Thruxton. I live in London so any advice from locals also very much appreciated as ill need to buy the parts in the UK.

Surely he must be wrong!?

Can you help? Its booked in for Thursday and I need to give him an answer in next few hours so he can order them in.Thanks in advance

Dan

·
Registered
978 Posts
Phone Total Triumph in Taunton, brought a pair of heated grips for wife's Bonnie from them, via ebay worked like a charm:)

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
727 Posts
Oxford make 1 inch cruiser grips, I have some but not yet fitted. I am not that keen on their grips. A bit hard and biggish dia.
Cheers, Simmo

·
Registered
978 Posts
Don't think that makes any difference as the grips are open ended to accommodate bar end weights.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have oxford heated grips on my Scrambler, sure it has 7/8 bars but as a previous poster stated Oxford make some for 1" bars.

Might pay to contact Oxford & ask the question

Cheers Terry

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
IIRR Cruiser ones are 1". Contact Oxford, but don't hold your breath waiting for a reply. Best bet is to contact your local supplier and ask them.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have a 2013 T100 and am interested in heated grips. When I asked my dealer they pointed me toward the Oxford "Cruiser" grips. Has anybody here installed them on a T100? By my measurements the original grips are just under 4 5/8", but the Oxford grips are supposedly 5 1/4" and say that they cannot be cut down (I don't know if this includes the chrome endcaps and if so how long they are). Is this going to be a problem? It looks like I can't put the original bar-end weights back on of that is the case.

UPDATE: I just got rear-ended today on the way home but everybody is OK and the bike survived. It mainly bent the fender in and broke the taillight; I didn't even fall over! I'll have to take it in next week for an estimate. And it's only a week old! :-(

·
Registered
978 Posts
Are you sure the bars are 1" my wife's SE's were 7/8 and standard heated grips worked fine, we used R&G's she is really happy with them.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Are you sure the bars are 1" my wife's SE's were 7/8 and standard heated grips worked fine, we used R&G's she is really happy with them.
The bars on a T100 are definitely bigger than those on a Bonneville or SE. I looked at all of them at the dealer yesterday while waiting for my accessories to be installed. were the R&Gs longer than the bar? I'll have to look them up. Do you have a link?

·
Registered
978 Posts
They were the same length as the standard grips, no cutting required, but deffo 7/8 bars on the SE.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
The only successes with heated grips that I have had are with BMW OEM grips. After market grips don't seem to last more than 2 seasons. Maybe the quality has improved over the last year or two.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've had dual stars, ducati and bmw oem heated grips, they're nice to have to a point but what really works are gerbing heated jacket liner w/heated gloves. Make the investment, you won' t regret it :icon_drink

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've had dual stars, ducati and bmw oem heated grips, they're nice to have to a point but what really works are gerbing heated jacket liner w/heated gloves. Make the investment, you won' t regret it :icon_drink
Sorry, didn't see this post before I wrote my last one.. I have had the Gerbing gloves for a while now and just purchased the jacket liner at the bike show. WOW. They are fantastic and work really well. I've had heated grips on all my bikes, but I didn't want them on my SMQ T100. So purchased the gloves. I won't be going back that's for sure.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts