Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently re-torqued the head of my '70 TR6R as I was told I should do so after 150 miles. Granted I did go a little longer than that (~200ish), but I got it done. I was also told I should do a valve adjustment as they would be too tight after the head was torqued down. I set the intake at .002'' and exhaust at .004''. I assume this is correct. What I'd like to know is if there is a special type of feeler gauge you guys are using to get in there.. I did the adjustment to the best of my ability and I have the feeling something isn't right. I immediately noticed a lot more 'chatter', or 'ticking' when I first started the engine. I thought I was being paranoid so I took it for a short spin and noticed a little smoke. Before any of this I never noticed any smoke. What could I have done wrong? Where can I get a feeler gauge that would make this easier and more accurate? Should I stop riding the bike completely? The smoke is very light, but it is noticeable.. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just bend the feeler gauge to 45 degree angle in the middle, it will then be easy. You can always set the tappets a little wide eg 4 and 6, it may be a tad rattley but much safer than too tight where the valve doesn't sit on the seat.

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
I was speaking to a bloke who used to work on old Triumphs in a motorcycle garage.
He said, "as a rough guide the inlet gaps are tick, tick and the exhaust tock, tock".
I presume you have the round inspection covers.
Never played with them, but with the long, finned type you have to go in from the side.
I finger tighten mine up with the feeler in, then very carefully unscrew slightly until its a tight sliding fit.
Awkward I know.

·
Super Moderator
13,267 Posts
Go to any major motorcycle dealership and check the Parts Unlimited and Tucker/Rocky catalogs for the little feeler guage tool set that is several short laminated "popsickle sticks" with a single leaf at each end, stamped with the tolerances at each end and both sides of the handle.

They are absolutely the PERFECT tool for the job.

Sadly, they don't make a single one with .002 and .004 on opposite ends; so you are better off buying the 3 or 4 piece set, rather than the 2 individual ones required.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input guys. Should I go back in and check it? Or should I just wait for the next scheduled one? I must've checked each valve about 5 times.. I'm pretty confident they were correct. What does the smoke mean?

·
Registered
101 Posts
shim stock

i use what sounds similar to what paul is talking about.

if there is a machine shop near you ask them for shim stock, it comes in all the sizes you'll need .002, .004 and up. and they will usually just give it to you.

they are strips of shim in the thousandths!

·
Registered
885 Posts
I like the 12" long ones I got from Snapon Tools. I also use the Triumph adjusting tool.

I have never used the ones Paul suggests but I would bow to his greater knowlege.

The thing I like about the long ones is the feel I get and also when they break you have plenty more.

TD

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
i'm suprised no one's mentioned the take up the slack and then back off 1/8 of a turn for .004 half that for .002 as per the factory manual . actually for the .002 the say back off til you can hear the slightest perceptible tick .

cheers , Woody

1 - 10 of 10 Posts