Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Tiger people. I just sold my XR650L and have started to look for its replacement. The Tiger has always appealed to me. I currently own an 04 Sprint ST which I love, especially the 955 motor. My usage for the Tiger would be approx. 80% asphalt / 20% dirt roads. Some questions for current owners.

Sounds like the 06 received some upgrades to the motor. Are they significant enough to put an 06 at the top of the list?

How’s the Tigers handling on asphalt (especially twisty’s) and dirt roads?

Is the wind protection adequate for running 75mph-ish without too much punishment?

Any particular years to avoid or seek out?

Thanks in advance,
Mark R

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Wrt wind protection, much depends on the size of the rider. I'm 5'9"/1.75m & the standard screen & nosecone fairing of the 05 955i work just fine above the 60mph/100kph mark. There's a little buffeting at lesser speeds.

I think my bike is very nice to ride in twisties, but I consciously don't push it too hard on its dualsport tyres.

I'm a novice at dirt riding and to be honest I'm finding the Tiger quite difficult off-road. More experienced dirt riders will no doubt comment here & maybe pass on a few tips. But I'll persevere with the dirt road thing :).

DaveB.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
They handle well enough on tarmac for normal use. If you want to go scratching with your mate on his R1, you can, but it's harder work and he will eventually pull away from you, if you have similar riding skills.

The 99 to 06 models are Dual Purpose, Dual Sport, or what ever you want to call them, so they are good at everything, but don't excell in any particular area. To ride them in the dirt you need to switch your style, more to a motocross style where you move the bike around underneath you, stay up on the pegs and over the front wheel. They tend to wash out if you push them hard on soft stuff.

I try to liken mine to a Land Rover, they're ugly, but just get on with doing what they do best and that's carrying you over most terrain with reasonable ability and good comfort. The screen will be very personal. For me it's an MRA Vario, I've also tried an Eagle, but it's too big and doesn't give the protection the Vario does. Others love them however, and it will also depend on your helmet. My Zeus Dualsport is nice and quiet, but the Nolan open with screen was very noisy.

Here are some images and footage of mine in action.
The Bridle Track Crossing

Two Tigers, KLE and Hassan's Walls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URNNZ08ttEA

it wasn't really that quick, but the wheels did get light on the washaways. It also wasn't a really steep hill, but not something you would intentionally ride a road bike on either.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum :)

You've answered all of your own questions. The 2006 Tiger is so sorted.

I keep up with all of my mates on their sports bikes round the twisties, but the only difference is when we all get off the bikes at the end of the day, I am still fresh and they are all knackered with aches and pains from bent wrists, kness, spines, etc.

Go on - treat yourself to a Tiger......You deserve it :D

·
Registered
573 Posts
Ha ha - does the screen work ? If you like your neck muscles strengthened then yes.

I bought the Triumph touring screen and it's so much better. No screen at all is much better, but unbearable above 60. Best bet if you don't like the stock screen is just to trade your way through various styles courtesy of ebay !!

It does handle, it just does it with a little more 'bounce' than your standard sports bike. Can take some work getting it left, right left at speed but once you've go it over its as solid as a rock. Choice of tyres does help.

And it will shift, don't be deceived into thinking it's a quickish bike with lots of low down torque and that's all, keep the revs up and it's a very fast bike too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts