Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
25-30mm's is the factory spec for chain freeplay. I removed the muffler from the Legend, measured midway between the sprockets, but suddenly wondered - 25-30 mm from where to where?
I pulled the chain down and layed the ruler perpendicular to it. I was using the top surface of the links as the starting point. Then I pulled the chain upward. I measured again to the top surface of the link.
Is this the correct way to get the measurement, or is the measurement taken between the top of the link when it is pulled down and the bottom of the link when it is pulled up?
To further complicate matters, I took the measurment about every eight inches or so along the chain.
I seemed to be between the factory settings except for one spot which was about 5 mm tighter than the rest of the readings.
Do I set the chain for the tightest part or use the majority of the readings as the standard.
Since my ride seems to have a subtle feeling of bouncing along, either the chain needs replacing or loosened up just a bit.
Neither mechanic I have used has suggested replacing the chain, but I have come to realize no one takes a greater interest in my ride than me.
Thanks ahead of time for your input.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
To further complicate things more, I believe you are supposed to measure the chain slack(play) while someone is sitting on the bike to get the correct measurement.

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
You need to adjust the chain at the tightest spot. Up and down movement- if you are measuring the bottom of the link at the lowest point, then measure the bottom at the highest point too. I suppose to be pedantic the measurement should be taken at a pin, but it's all the same.

I find it best to sit on the bike to test for free play, it's not very scientific but I sort of have a feel for what's right.

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
Just out of curiosity, I decided to adjust the chain to 25-30mm slack with the back wheel raised off the ground.

By the time it was back on the ground with me sat on it, the chain was tight- no slack at all.

·
Registered
84 Posts
centrestand

T'birds didn't have centre stands as standard, I thought!

Simplest way to do it on a centre stand (if you have one) is this.

1. Put the bike on the centre stand. Find that tight spot.
THIS IS THE SPOT YOU MUST ADJUST

2. Take it off the stand.

3. Adjust the chain to 25mm total up and down movement with rider seated. This may need assistance.

4. Put the bike back onto the centre stand. Re-measure the chain slack with the rear wheel off the ground.

5. If you measure, for argument's sake, 45mm, this is the slack you adjust the chain to (at it's tightest point..)
This is what you adjust the chain to when it is on it's stand in future.
When the wheels are on the ground, and you are seated, it will measure 25mm again.

6. Remember if you are carrying a chunky passenger, or a lot of luggage, the chain may well be tighter when you load up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts