Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of us Clevelanders would like to be able to do some on-bike video. Several of you have posted really good, vibration-free examples on U Tube. Heres the question(s):

- Camcorder model - My old Sony analog HandiCam will not do the job. Aside from being a bit large, I think I may have destroyed the stabilization feature using it on-bike several years ago, and the resulting video was fuzzy due to vibration. What cameras have you used on-bike that weren't affected by vibes?

- Cheapie "solid-state" models - Ritz Cameras offers a small cheap camcorder that records to SD cards. Does anyone have any on-bike experience with these, regarding video quality, effect of vibration, etc? Other thoughts about these cheapies?

- Other things we should look consider?

Bob

·
Registered
38 Posts
Interesting question.
I have a Sony Handycam (DCR TRV-130) and was considering doing what you suggest. But now have second thoughts.
If you don't mind, what kind of Sony do you have? And what makes you think you toasted the stabilization?
Got a Techmount to mount it on but had not done it yet.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I'd like to try this but with my luck it's something that would end up on America's Funniest Videos.
Or worse.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On 2006-11-22 12:47, jjgoodwin3 wrote:
Interesting question.
I have a Sony Handycam (DCR TRV-130) and was considering doing what you suggest. But now have second thoughts.
If you don't mind, what kind of Sony do you have? And what makes you think you toasted the stabilization?
Got a Techmount to mount it on but had not done it yet.
I'm certain mine is older than yours. I bought it about the time the digitals were beginning to take over the analog market. I purchased this camcorder, a model TRV43, in August of 1999.

The camera still works, which is a testimony to its ruggedness .... it's been on several bike trips. I think it semi-toasted the stabilization because the more I attempted to use it on-bike, the worse the video quality (fuzzy, shaky, etc). And this was on a four cylinder machine. The W650 vibes were harder on it still.

Long and short of it ..... this particular camera won't record good on-bike videos. I'm hanging onto it to use it as a playback deck when converting Hi8 tapes to digital, and simply as a backup camcorder.

Bob

·
Registered
421 Posts
Here is what I am interested in... Both for motorcyle and mountain bike riding.

VioSport

Packages are expensive, but many options (clamps, holders etc)

[ This message was edited by: boboso on 2006-11-22 15:38 ]

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Here is the mount we were planning on using - not with a Bonneville but with my VStrom which has the type of flush mounted fuel cap ring that these mount to:

http://www.sportbikecam.com/index.shtml

This mount, together with some camcorder that will provide some decent pics. I have a MiniDV Canon ZR500 that I will probably give a try - after turning off the image stabilization and setting the manual focus to infinity - it might work ok. We thought, however, that an inexpensive camcorder that records to SD or some other hard medium might work better. Some of these cameras are under $100.

We were hoping to put together some video of our favorite roads so when next winter comes along we could relive some of our better rides.

Thanks for any imput...
Tom

·
Registered
101 Posts
With some duct tape and an old tea towel, , I mounted my Panasonic NV-GS180 digital onto my thrux handle bar (between the mirror and the tacho). Worked great! even on our rough surfaced roads here. Basically camera partly wrapped in the tea towel and affixed to the mirror, handle bar and tacho with duct tape.
Great camera too!

enjoy the ride....

[ This message was edited by: Healey_100 on 2006-11-25 06:04 ]

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Thanks for the great response and tape! Your miniDV camera produced a good video and the sound it picked it was perfect - not crushed by wind noise. I think that is an example of exactly what we are going to try to do - make a collection of videos of some of our favorite roads here in Ohio and then sit back when we can't ride and relive a few of them.

You had me leaning into the curves with you...sometimes the simpliest solutions are the best - duct tape + towel = no vibrations & good video.

Thanks again,
Tom

·
Registered
101 Posts
Forgot to mention why I didnt get any wind noise.
Used a $10.00 microphone from Tandys. Duct taped the lead along the fuel tank and fitted the microphone under the LEFT hand side rear guard. ( the RIGHT hand side produced too much chain noise) .

glad to help

healey 100

[ This message was edited by: Healey_100 on 2006-11-26 06:13 ]

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Grebmrof and I discussed the possibility of using a remote mic to help pick up the engine and exhaust sound. Glad you confirmed that you did. I've tried my old camcorder without one, and the wind noise all but drowned out the 'bike' sounds.

Thanks.

Bob

·
Registered
101 Posts
Naturally the mic should be placed where the wind wont get to it., but as a precauction, I taped a thin piece of foam around the mic. If you plan on getting a mic, ensure the lead is long enough to reach the rear of the bike to get an optimum sound from the exhaut note ( mine is a bit short and only reached to where the top of the rear shock meets the frame.

You could go one better and wrap the mic with the material that the media/journalists use to wrap those boom mics. You know , the stuff that lookes like fur??

Read about this somewhere on this forum I think, or on some website, so I wont take any credit for it.

cheers

healey100

[ This message was edited by: Healey_100 on 2006-11-28 06:05 ]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.