Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just got my 2004 Tiger 955i last week and I love it. My bike doesn't have a windscreen, but has a coloured infill panel which is the same height as the fairing. I've ordered a standard windscreen to fit in its place, but I can't find any reference to the panel in my Haynes manual or on the web. It has two fitting screws at the top which are accessed from the inside of the fairing, and there are obviously other screws holding it on from the inside.
It looks like I'll have to remove the fairing to get the panel off. Is anyone familiar with this setup? Any advice on replacing the screen?

Scott.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hey Scotty99 !! the, which screen question !! i hope you`ve ordered the standard screen off fleabay cos it will end up hangin in the shed where most of them are :) i put this on mine...

http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/tiger-955i-99-06-mra-vario-touring-windshield-726-p.asp

some riders like them, some hate them ( i like mine ) but it wont suit everyone, its all to do with your height !! the standard screen made my eyeballs rattle over 70mph ( on private roads yer honour )

good luck !!

KK

ps i`m 5`10" if that helps

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ref Coloured Panel

Hey, I have one of these, just undo the two retaining screws that you can see, the lower section works on a dowel arrangement, so once screws removed just gently flex the assembly off, there is no need to remove fairing....Cheers...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks for the most useful responses. I'll pick up the screen from the post office tomorrow and see how it does on a long journey. It's a standard screen and only cost me 20 pounds on ebay.
Sorry, Patrat, I'm in Scotland, so shipping might be prohibitive. (It's an orange panel, by the way).

Scott.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi,
My bike doesn't have a windscreen, but has a coloured infill panel which is the same height as the fairing.
That's sounds like the 'sports' screen you've got there. However, as two of the bolts to secure the fairing will be underneath it, you may have problems taking the fairing off to remove the screen...:confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It wasn't any problem. Just undo two screws and it pops off. I'm not sure about how effective the standard screen is, though. I did a 600 mile trip at the weekend and didn't find much difference from the sports screen. Not a lot of wind protection.
Maybe I'll look for a nice cheap double bubble or tall screen on fleabay.

Scott.

·
Registered
896 Posts
too easy

There are two flat head screws that fit into the fly screen from the inside of the upper portion of each cockpit ear. The lower front has two sockets on the inside of the fly screen that fit over a couple of matching bolt heads. WHent he top two screws are out, just pull the screen towards the front of the bike and it pops off.

MIND the screws and bits... The two bolts that fit into the cock pit down below are the ones that come with the fly screen. The std screens use different head on the bolts that are a rounded head affair.

The Sport (fly) screen gives me the least amount of rough air, although it certainly does allow much more of a windblast to the upper body. I find that for around town rides and shorter day rides the sport screen is the nuts.. the std screen just kills me no matter what, and the CeeBailey semi plank is great if I tuck down and OK under 60 mph but creates a nice shudder at hwy speeds.

The Tank Panniers DO help reduce the shudder effect by enlarging the negative pressure zone behind the cockpit... .ahh to have a gold wing... lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
I love the sports screen and it is not cheap so if you have no interest you can easily sell it.

My Tiger came with the tall screen which is way too much airflow restriction. The bike handles better at speed with the shorty too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
screen

just ordered a MRA touring screen, tried standard screen, tall screen to no avail. It's the Mra or a really quite helmet.
cheers all Spud

·
Registered
191 Posts
Keep the Sport Screen

...keep the Sport Screen close at hand, once you do the regular, tall screen the, add wings thing, the Sport Screen will be like a quiet room.

It seems a lot of sport bikes with these small fairings mounted well forward punch a hole through the air which creates a 'dirty air' turbulence pocket (that does not sound quite right) that slaps a helmet at anything above 50 mph, even the mirrors position makes noise.

The Sport Screen seems to let the air stay low and relatively quiet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For what it's worth, Triumph are selling sports screens at a hefty discount in their clearance sale. (Triumph UK website, Accessories & Parts, Special Offers). Price depends on colour - yellow is down to a tenner! Got a tank bag at a massive discount.

Scott.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts