Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang-

I bought a Bonneville new from a dealer here in New Jersey last month (my first new vehicle purchase in NJ). I happened to glance at my temporary plate paperwork tonight and I noticed they expired four days ago! I don't have my license plates, and I don't have an inkling of where they should be coming from.

Should I be expecting them in the mail? Should I be picking them up at the dealer? If the latter, I'd expect a phone call by now saying they were in...

Of course, the dealer is closed tomorrow. I'm hoping someone here happens to know before I waste a lot of time running down to the DMV tomorrow.. I can just imagine getting pulled over and getting a ticket for expired temp tags on the way there!

thanks-

- Marc

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I'm pretty sure that YOU have to go to the DMV and apply for new plates! The temp plates are just to give you enough time to get down to the DMV and get plates.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
The dealer usually gets the plates and registration - that's the $115 fee, LOL. He'll probably call you when they are in. Would not worry about the temp tag as long as it's in the works.

·
Registered
964 Posts
The licence fee charged by the dealer (assuming you paid one, look at your paperwork) covers the state fees for the plates themselves and a fee for going through the hassle of registering/transferring the title for you. If your cardboard dealer tag has expired; they can give you another until the regular one comes in. Usually you pick the permenant, metal tag up at the dealer; sometimes they mail it to you. When my daughter bought a pick-up truck, she had to go back to the dealer TWICE to get new a dealer tag; sometimes the dealer just drops the ball.-------James.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer usually gets the plates and registration - that's the $115 fee, LOL. He'll probably call you when they are in. Would not worry about the temp tag as long as it's in the works.
That's the ticket- except they never called, I ended up having to call and ask for them. They're in and I'll ride out to get them tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies, I should have asked when I bought the bike but I was pretty focused on getting on the road...

·
Registered
26 Posts
i had the same thing happen to me in here in jersey and i called my dealer and the said "they just showed up that after new" and i gave them an ear full when i went there. that dealer has been nothing but a pain to deal with

·
Registered
14 Posts
What dealer did you all work with? I'm also in NJ and looking to buy my first Triumph from a dealer. I've visited Green Brook, and will be going to check out Freehold.

Any opinions/suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
201 Posts

Cost me $120 to register my Speedie from out of state last week.

Not to mention that I have to RE register the Daytona I bought in Feb.

So that is 210 bucks in registration for two bikes.....and the *** at the state inspection station failed me for my Shoei X-11s visor NOT saying shatter proof on it.

F*@& this state.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the state inspection station failed me for my Shoei X-11s visor NOT saying shatter proof on it.
What the--?!? I don't think they even LOOKED at my helmet when I got my last bike inspected. Bizarre.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Cost me $120 to register my Speedie from out of state last week.

Not to mention that I have to RE register the Daytona I bought in Feb.

So that is 210 bucks in registration for two bikes.....and the *** at the state inspection station failed me for my Shoei X-11s visor NOT saying shatter proof on it.

F*@& this state.
Wow,
Since when is your gear considered part of the vehicle?
I'm not gonna ask how you know which team he plays for...:)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wow,
Since when is your gear considered part of the vehicle?
I'm not gonna ask how you know which team he plays for...:)

I got a hold of the book. NOT having a 4xz1 inch reflective tape strip on your helmet (f-em I'm not putting tape on my new lid) is grounds for failure.

I'll just pay the dealer down the road $20 from now on.

·
Registered
866 Posts
On my old helmet I put on some black reflective tape (Yes, Black. Really.) on the black portions of the helmet. Not noticeable until light hit it at night. Once upon a time there was a similar requirement at one of my previous bases. Most people just tried to locate tape similar in color to that of the helmet. I can see the military being over the top with this stuff. I am somewhat surprised that it's a state law, even in NJ.

·
Registered
201 Posts
On my old helmet I put on some black reflective tape (Yes, Black. Really.) on the black portions of the helmet. Not noticeable until light hit it at night. Once upon a time there was a similar requirement at one of my previous bases. Most people just tried to locate tape similar in color to that of the helmet. I can see the military being over the top with this stuff. I am somewhat surprised that it's a state law, even in NJ.
:DYou have obvisously never been here.

The a ghetto California without the roads or women and a $20 fee to go ON the beech.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts