Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought the Pazon electronic ignition system for my '73 T140V Bonneville restoration project. I'm not terribly proficient in electrical systems. I watched the Lowbrow Customs installation video. It was helpful except he was installing on a custom bike with negative ground. I've ordered new 6v coils which I'll wire in series as shown in the wiring diagram below.

My question is, I'm not sure where the White lead from the Pazon module connects. The instruction manual says it installs "to one of the negative ignition feed wires." I don't understand what wire that is. I tried to annotate what I'm dealing with in this picture. I've disconnected the previous point wire leads from the 12V coils which I'm replacing.

Also, can anyone explain what it means at the bottom left of the wiring diagram, ""Ignition coil H.T. leads connect to plugs any way around."

Thanks.
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Cable Gas Electronic device

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,513 Posts
Hi,
'73 T140V
where the White lead from the Pazon module connects.
Assuming otherwise-standard bike electrics, there's a White/Yellow wire connected to each original '12V' coil negative (with a "-" moulded beside it) terminal; the Pazon module White wire connects to one of those White/Yellow wire female spade terminals, insulate the other one securely.

tried to annotate what I'm dealing with in this picture.

Do not, under any circumstances, connect the Brown/Blue wire to anything on any Pazon parts; standard '73 T140V electrics, Brown/Blue is the connection between the battery -ve terminal and the ignition switch, i.e. it's "unswitched"; the Pazon must be connected to "switched" power, White/Yellow is from the engine kill button on the handlebar (in turn, the button is supplied switched power by a White wire from the ignition switch).

what it means at the bottom left of the wiring diagram, ""Ignition coil H.T. leads connect to plugs any way around."
Ignition coils switched by points, each coil is connected to its own set of points.

The Pazon (any EI for twins), the Black wire from the module to one coil's -ve terminal ("IGNITION COIL #1" on the Pazon diagram) is the switching wire for both coils, because the other coil's -ve terminal is connected to the first coil's +ve terminal.

Because any ignition coil only generates an HT spark when the LT (the thin wires) are switched off, because the EI module switches off both coils' LT at the same time, both coils will (should) generate an HT spark at the connected plug. On a 4-stroke 360-degree parallel twin, when one cylinder's on the compression stroke, the other's on the exhaust stroke.

If you trust my advice above, I advise the following addition to/differences from the diagram:-

. Not on the diagram - Where the Pazon module White wire connects to one of the bike's White/Yellow wires (as above), fit a standard automotive blade fuse holder between the wires' ends, with a 5A or 7.5A fuse. Reason is the bike's standard fuse (British 35A or US 15A) is too high-rated to protect the Pazon's electronics.

. Differences from the diagram:-

.. only the Pazon module's Red wire should be connected to the "BATTERY POSITIVE" terminal itself;

.. the +ve terminal of "IGNITION COIL #2" should be connected to the bike's existing Red wires at an existing snap connector, not to "BATTERY POSITIVE" or "CHASSIS GROUND".

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THanks so much Stuart! All of this is such good advice and, sadly, not covered in this detail in the manual. I was about to connect the white wire to the brown/blue wire from the ignition switch. Will NOT do that now. I'll trace out the white/yellow kill switch wire and connect to that. Also thanks for the advice on adding a fuse holder between the white wire and its connection with a lower-amp fuse then the 15A (I think I actually have a 20a) existing fuse.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts