Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice these bikes take a beating from corrosion and need frequent maintenance on these parts, axle, lower shock linkage and associated parts. I was thinking that I can get ebay bit's for small money and rebuild everything and maybe just swap it out every few years. Or is the smarter money on just servicing it all every 2 years?

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
Just service unless bearings go south. Unless you are replacing parts with new, why install someone's used parts. You basically have your own.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just service unless bearings go south. Unless you are replacing parts with new, why install someone's used parts. You basically have your own.
I wouldn't install someone else's used parts. I would refurbish the entire thing. Simply to reduce downtime. Just a thought. Swingarms and linkages sell cheap here in the states.
It's just a thought.

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
My opinion but swingarms don't need replacing unless they get damaged or the bearing or mating surfaces are not serviced. Nor do the linkages other than needle bearing greasing or replacing. If you want you can keep the aluminum corrosion to a minimum by using metal compound. Don't have to bring to a polished finish. Still don't understand your comment about not using used parts but buying parts on eBay.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thought was getting used swingarm with toggle links and rear axle cush drive sprocket and all. Rebuilt it all with fresh whatever it needs and put it on the shelf. Just to have. Again, it's just a thought after seeing all the rusted frozen crap people are dealing with all the time. Yes I get that their bikes have not been serviced properly, but I also get that these bikes corrode and turn to **** quicker and easier then any bike I ever had before. Just seems to be a theme.

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
Well, I have a '98 Daytona which other than servicing and lubing, is fine. Don't have high miles on it and it has been off road for almost 5 years, but will change that soon. What year is your Sprint? It would be easier as far as down time to simply lube the linkage needle bearings and deal with the hub than to strip everything off and install. My view anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That may be very true and that's why I asked. The bike is quite new to me. It's an 08 with very low 4400 miles. to be hones I have not even gotten a good look at the linkage yet. Seems a bit hidden. Had the rear wheel off. All looks like new. Chain adjusts easy. I am sure it's fine, but I do need to get in there so I have a baseline.

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
Some say on this forum that Triumph did a miserable job of lubing the shock linkage at the factory. If so you wind up with rather dry internals, the needle bearings. It is certainly a good idea for you to get a hold of a service manual and become acquainted with the shock linkage components. Probably many good threads on the forum about servicing the linkage. Probably Youtube vids as well. Depending upon year and model getting to the linkage and working on varies in terms of pain in the arse to not too bad. I had to customize a slide hammer to remove the bolt that keeps the lower linkage together. Read up on it. Would be wise to find some time to service it. The wheel hub assembly I believe has service intervals of like 25K miles. Keeping the swingarm hub surface area lubed to make for easy chain adjustments is also crucial. Sounds like your bike is okay in that regards.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed. All I need is time. I have time to sneak around the internet while at work but not a lot of free time. I picked up a manual straight away just have not applied myself to this task yet. When all you read about are issues with this or that, you are getting a jaundiced view.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Jim, the Internet excels at putting out negative information. After all, people tend to post when they're unhappy more than when life is rosy.

The swingarm bearings all need service. The 'dog bone' needle bearings, as noted above, tended to leave the factory a bit dry. Without service records to prove otherwise, yours are 10 years old, and so is the grease. Same with the pivot bearings.

The hub bearings require inspection every 12K miles. The first one is the most important, making sure the bearings are okay, and the lubrication is proper. It is a critical service - several bikes have had catastrophic failures. There is an excellent post on this forum on the procedure. Not too difficult, but you will require a large snap-ring plier.

HTH!

pr

1 - 10 of 10 Posts