Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
G'day all, my Sprint is now 500kms old and is booked in for its first service at the end of the week. My dealer has offered an extra 3 years manufacturers warranty(taking it to 5 years in total) for just under 1k Aust. Do you guys generally take up this option? Is it worth it? I will be riding like most I guess - test its (and mine) limits having fun, some touring with my wife(on the back) and I also commute to and from work. No tracks. Probably average just under 1k kms/week. Also some of you may have read in one of my earlier threads that I was lucky enough to score an 09 model for 08 run out price....or so I thought. The date of manufacture is 08/08. My dealer says that despite this is 09 specs because on the VIN #, the tenth character is a letter followed by a 9 which he says signifies 09 specs..!? They seem like decent guys down there but at the end of the day their job is to sell me something. Are they right?

·
Registered
150 Posts
G'day all, my Sprint is now 500kms old and is booked in for its first service at the end of the week. My dealer has offered an extra 3 years manufacturers warranty(taking it to 5 years in total) for just under 1k Aust. Do you guys generally take up this option? Is it worth it? I will be riding like most I guess - test its (and mine) limits having fun, some touring with my wife(on the back) and I also commute to and from work. No tracks. Probably average just under 1k kms/week. Also some of you may have read in one of my earlier threads that I was lucky enough to score an 09 model for 08 run out price....or so I thought. The date of manufacture is 08/08. My dealer says that despite this is 09 specs because on the VIN #, the tenth character is a letter followed by a 9 which he says signifies 09 specs..!? They seem like decent guys down there but at the end of the day their job is to sell me something. Are they right?

Not sure about the vin# issue, but it sounds like it could be true. Mine is an 8, so....

On the warranty part, I guess that depends on how long you plan to keep it. I opted for the extended warranty and the maintenance plan. I got a good enough deal that it just about took the total price back to sticker. I intend to keep this bike for much longer than 5 years, so why not? The 6k mile service will almost the cost of the maint. plan as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I'm extremely happy with the bike so far and can only see things getting better. If I want to upgrade there's plenty of mod options that I've been reading about in this forum. So it is my intention to keep my Sprint beyond 5 years. I guess the warranty option would be worth it. Have many needed the extra warranty though? and have there been problems in dealers honouring them?

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I've always operated on the tenth character signifying the year.

Even though the model year is important in some respects, don't lose sight of the fact that the engineering side of the T house focuses on the VIN sequence.

This becomes significant with recalls and ordering parts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Grant, between you and o'n'd I'd say the vin # issue is put to bed. I DO have the 09 model.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Think of extended warranties as a wager.

The dealer is betting that nothing comes up during the extra three years. You are betting that something will.

Edge favors the house or they wouldn't offer the wager. I always turn them down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts