Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing my Dunlop Trail Smarts because of an extremely squared off rear tire. I'm going with the Bridgestone Battlax A41 Adventure tires and have a question about the choices for the 90/90-21 front tire. It seems there are two fronts offered by Bridgestone that will fit the rim. With the attached 1st thumbnail, it looks like the 90/90-21 M/C 54H W is specific to Honda's Africa Twin and I'm pretty sure that Bridgestone wants the 90/90V21 M/C 54V TL for the Tiger 800 XC. (Thumbnail #2) I'm wondering if the Tiger community has an idea of the difference in these tires and why the one is specific to the Africa Twin? And also to make sure I'm ordering the correct one. Thanks for your help!
Screenshot (72).png
Screenshot (73).png Screenshot (74).png
Edit: thumbnail #2 did not show the intended info.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I believe the H and V are the speed ratings. Vehicles with a higher potential top speed are required to be fitted tires with an appropriate speed rating. Speed ratings are not in alphabetical order so you’ll need to check the rating versus how fast you intend to go.

If the Africa Twin runs tubeless tires then that tire is probably built to perform as such. If you’re running a tube you likely don’t need the additional construction features a tubeless tire needs.

·
Super Moderator
2,834 Posts
Right, one is tubeless and one is tube type. One is good to 130 mph and the other good to 149. One is 89 mm wide and one is 91 mm wide. Both have the same load rating. If you're running a tube, then, take your pick. If you've swapped to tubeless then you'll need the tubeless tire.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm still tube type and doubt I'll ever change that. I don't think I'll be exceding the the speed ratings of either tire :cool: But I think the tube type will be my pick. Thanks for the replies gents!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts