Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I am a newcomer when it comes to Triumphs, in fact I only picked up my 03 Daytona 955i yesterday and the grin hasn't come off my face yet :D

1st I want to say thanks so far as this forum has helped me reset the engine management system on the bike, the engine light was on but the bike was running fine. Obviously the mechanic that serviced it forgot to reset it but now the light is off and after 2 days riding it hasn't come back. So a big thanks!

2nd thing I wanted to ask was if it is normal for the bike to be sort of stuttering at idle??

It sounds like it is going to stall but never does (unless i still have the side stand down when I change into 1st :eek: )

anyway here is a pic of the new acquisition:

Anyway thats me for now, Just wanted to say hi and hopefully I can contribute to the forum in the future.

Ciao for now.
Paul

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
Hi Paul,

I also have recently acquired a D 955 and mine is an '04 I also can't stop grinning.

I think the lump cammy idle is normal because mine is the same.:)

So congrats on your new ride, you will love the 955 it is an awesome power plant.

I have had a Meriden works Bonniville many moons ago and still own my '04 Sprint which also has the 955 engine but it is not identical to the Daytona and makes 120hp and not the big D's 147.

Your bike looks very nice.:thumbsup:

cheers,
DaveM:3dcool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Catenaccio and DaveM,

The bike was a really good find and it pretty much came with the whole box and dice and 2 ventura bags with their specific racks so i am really pleased :)

DaveM is the red Daytona in your avatar the 04 one you recently bought? To me it looks like a single sided swing arm so possibly a previous one you had?

I love the 955 powerplant, the sound is just awesome and I have to keep reminding my self to reign it in so I don't loose my license as I have only just updated from a 250 at that thing was making noises as loud as the 955 but not going anywhere near as fast :)

Regards
Paul

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
Yup Baron the one in my avatar is indeed my '04 mit der single sided swing arm Jah!:D

Check the clicky link in my two albums in my sig for pics.

Glad you got a good one.:)

Baron is this your second bike then?

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DaveM,

That 04 of yours looks great :D i like the color and i think the single sided swing arm looks really neat. I haven't riden a single sided swingarm bike yet so I can't appreciate the difference but from what I have heard they are easier to handle, is that true?

Yes it is my second bike, I have been riding for a few years but was putting the pennies away to save up for the upgrade, i am not a big fan of borrowing and was happy to put up with all the jokes from the other bikies at work untill I was ready to upgrade.

Baron

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
DaveM,

That 04 of yours looks great :D i like the color and i think the single sided swing arm looks really neat. I haven't riden a single sided swingarm bike yet so I can't appreciate the difference but from what I have heard they are easier to handle, is that true?

Yes it is my second bike, I have been riding for a few years but was putting the pennies away to save up for the upgrade, i am not a big fan of borrowing and was happy to put up with all the jokes from the other bikies at work untill I was ready to upgrade.

Baron
Well Baron good for you then.

Take care with all that extra power though.

On the SSSA thing, no it does not improve handling, I think maintenance is easier and wheel removal is also but is mostly about the look.

In actual fact the SSSA will be a bit heavier and probably not as rigid as the DSSA that your bike has but you would not be able to tell the difference unless you were racing on a track.

Enjoy that Daytona it is a beautiful machine.:)

DaveM:cool:

·
Super Moderator
22,199 Posts
If yours is a dual swing arm, that would most likely be a 2002 model then Baron
It may not have been first registered until 2003, but only first year of the new model was DSSA, along with the SSSA limited Centennial Edition. Although the DSSA was designed for lighter weight & better handling, the aesthetics of the SSSA won out in the market poularity stakes and was made standard for 2003.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info DEcosse,

I will chek the bike to see if it has a buid date stamped on it like a car as all the documentation with the bike points to it being an '03. I honestly thought they did the SSSA for the 02 models and switched back to the DSSA from 03 onwards which is why I thought DaveM's avatar daytona was an earlier model.

Oh well, learn something new everyday. Did the SSSA and DSSA models have different tool kits specific for each?

Baron

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
BvT, There are two different tool kits. My '04 (bought new) had the wrong kit and the dealership had to cough up a special wrench for chain adjustment.

Having a '02 DSSA in the family I can tell you that it's handling is just a tad sharper than the SSSA's. Basically the rear is taller than the '04's (which in turn is taller than the T595's) so there is a slight decrease in trail.

I remember when the silver '02 looked like yours, but it's had a couple of oopsies.

Brad

PS I know it's different for various countries, but here in the US there's a sticker on the LHS of the frame near the head tube with the build mo/yr. Dave's '04 looks to have a similar sticker on the RHS. I agree with DEcosse that it's actually a '02 for a couple of reasons. First the DSSA and secondly because silver was replaced by yellow in '03, IIRC. Here in the US we members have learned that in the Commonwealth nations the registration year can be different from the model year. Quite confusing at first.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks for the info DEcosse,

I will chek the bike to see if it has a buid date stamped on it like a car as all the documentation with the bike points to it being an '03. I honestly thought they did the SSSA for the 02 models and switched back to the DSSA from 03 onwards which is why I thought DaveM's avatar daytona was an earlier model.

Oh well, learn something new everyday. Did the SSSA and DSSA models have different tool kits specific for each?

Baron
there are a few SSSA on eBay. Convert your new ride! It will look much better!
Congrats

·
Registered
328 Posts
Dont do it...................:D
SSSA suck:p

·
Registered
311 Posts
Dont do it...................:D
SSSA suck:p
SSSA sux so much that Triumph only made it for 2002 and went back to it going forward. Handling with the SSSA is a little better, but your average rider is not gonna notice. The DSSA takes away from the beauty of the motorcycle. The Daytona was designed to have a SSSA. Easy swap. My buddy bought a silver one like yours a about 3 years ago. Got a SSSA of ebay complete with wheel. I will dig up the photos.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
alexofc69, The DSSA was a stop gap effort to keep D955is rolling out on the assembly line following the fire at Hinkley in '01. Triumph didn't have any trouble selling them either.

If you look at our locations you'll figure out that Japa has the '02 that I wrote about. IMHO the DSSA is the best of the breed.

Brad

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My goodness :eek: the only conversion I was thinking of doing was putting on a trident exhaust to replace the stock standard one but I am not in a hurry to do that, i like the bike too much as it is. But if a SSSA Centenial edition comes up for sale I might pick one up, there are no rules for having more than Daytona in the garage last time i checked :cool:

Well I will have to change the date of the bike manufacture to '02, not dissapointed as it still develops the 147 thoroughbred horsies :D

Regarding the tool kits, i did a bit more of a search and the bike has the right one for the DSSA but it has the extra c-spanner for chain adjustment of a SSSA, possibly snuck in there during some maintenance or something.

Baron

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
BvT, A CE would be the ideal stablemate.

Brad

PS You'll see pictures of your D955i with a single sided swingarm that aren't CEs. Again because of the fire some D955is slated to be '02s were sold as '01s in the UK and Europe. These are referred to as '01NS (NS=new style). Also, CEs could be special ordered in other colors besides green.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.