Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be in UK next week and have the better part of a day to kill while near the National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham. Is the museum a worthwhile endeavor? I'm going to be driving a hired car, so I'm hoping access is easy since I'll be driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

Any information is appreciated!

Dick

·
30,593 Posts
It's definitely worth a look - full of great bikes. I haven't been for years, but visited a couple of times in the nineties. It's easy to get to - right next to the NEC (national exhibition center) - off the M6 I think.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I'm going to be in UK next week and have the better part of a day to kill while near the National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham. Is the museum a worthwhile endeavor? I'm going to be driving a hired car, so I'm hoping access is easy since I'll be driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

Any information is appreciated!

Dick

You can spend hours in the Museum. It's brilliant, full to the brim with British bikes. The food in the canteen located upstairs is pretty good, and quite cheap.

http://www.nationalmotorcyclemuseum.co.uk/museum/photos.php

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all. I'll be staying in Wolverhampton which I'm told is reasonably close to the museum. I take a few pics of interesting Triumphs when I'm there. The last time I was in that vicinity was August 1967 when I picked up my new 1968 T120R Bonneville from the Meriden Works - quite a summer for a young man :>)

Dick

·
Registered
622 Posts
+ lots. Yes as others say well worth a visit. Easy access well signed from M6 motorway,plenty of parking alongside. When I visited I walked in saw a few bikes and a souvenir shop and thought is this all there is....... I paid my entrance fee used the supplied token to go through the turnstile and walked into British Bike heaven! If I recall there is 3 large halls packed with bikes. They range very old vintage bikes to more recent famous machinery. I am a keen bike fan but there is a tendency towards brain overload there's so much on show!!

Hope you enjoy your visit to the UK & the museum.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I made it!!

I am in UK and visited the National Motorcycle Museum today, and it was one of the best motorcycle experiences I've had in my lifetime! Wow, what a great place! It is amazing such a well done exhibit is privately owned and funded - about $10 admission. I could have spent days in there. A big surprise was finding a bike raced by Dave Aldana at Ascot that I'm sure I've ridden too - plus an opportunity to see Gene Romero's Triumph that he raced at Daytona. There are so many interesting one-off bikes, including a Triumph 4 cylinder that I'd never heard about. I saw the very last Beezer Goldie that wasn't too many serial numbers off from mine - now I know mine is a ** late** '63 bike.
I'm sure the Brits know all about this place, but Yanks, Aussies and everyone else should make it a point to visit sometime - it is that good. I'll post pics when I get home this weekend. Oh yeah, they have a perfect (like a zero mile '68 bike, not the over-restored stuff becoming so popular) '68 Bonnie that looks like my '68 did when I rode away from Meriden in August of '67 - I almost cried. It has been 41 years since I've been in this area.

Thank you England for so many great motorcycles, and the intelligence and fortitude to restore and display them like this.

Dick

·
Registered
622 Posts
Dick,
Really glad you enjoyed your visit to the National Motorcycle Museum. It is certainly the Mecca for Brit bike enthusiasts. Enjoy the rest of your stay in my Country, you're most welcome:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts