Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is an odd question, but I've never seen addressed. How do you mount your S3 with a tail pack? I'm 5'9" and not the most flexible person, so when I mount my S3, I don't have a whole lot of clearance when I swing my leg over the rear part of the seat. This is why I prefer saddle bags. However, since I have the grab rail, it uses the mounting points that SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection Blaze Sport Saddlebag also uses. I was going to go with this system since it keeps the bags away from the pipes. But I have to rule this system out since I really love having the grab rail for moving the bike around.

So a tail pack would be the better option. However, I'd have to first step on the foot peg, then swing my leg over to clear the tail pack. Same with dismounting. I tried stepping through the fornt of the seat, but I look akward, and dismounting I always drag my foot across the seat. Are all of you tail pack users tall? If not, what do you do?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
You could always park next to a curb! (sort of joking but I have done this before too)

Seriously though, I have the motocentric tail pack and strapped rain gear to the top of it. Even in my MC boots and leather pants I could still heft my leg over and I am the same height. Given, I do typically stretch a bit before going out on longer rides so maybe just try to limber up a bit before heading out. I have some lower back discomfort though so I try to stretch regularly.

Also, who cares if it looks a little silly, if it gets you on and off the bike safely without knocking it over that's really all that matters.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Grab the handle bars, lean forward, bend my right leg at the knee before swinging it over my tail pack. If I have my whole Kriega system mounted, I hook my right forearm under my right leg to lift it and step through. I'm also 5'9". Or I park under a balcony and drop onto the bike the way cowboys dropped onto their horses in old westerns. A little tough on the nards, but then if we weren't tough we'd be riding Hondas. Not that there's anything wrong with riding a Honda.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Mount it like a horse (or a sheep if you are so inclined). Put your left foot on the left peg and then swing your right leg up and over everything.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I'm 5-10 and don't have any real problems getting my leg over my tail pack, even when I had the extra 'reserve fuel' strapped to it. And at 41, I'm not exactly that flexible.

Now if you have one of those giant 'everything but the kitchen sink' sort of bags, then I'd go with the 'bend at the knee' technique described above.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I'm 5'10" and 62 years old. I use a tail pack on my speedie. I grab the handlebars, plant my knee on the rider's seat, and pivot on that knee to get my foot over the top of the pack. Practice (and a little stretching) makes perfect. :cool:

·
Registered
155 Posts
This is mine with a Kriega US30 on.

I'm 5'10" & I can get on & off OK.

Sometimes I stand on the peg & swing over or sometimes do a sort of high kick & slide on.

If I'm not to tired I can swing my leg over the whole lot.

Starting to feel my age some days so I need all the options.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You need to start doing the "Yoga X" from the P90X series, then you won't have any troubles whatsoever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts