Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i sold my speedy and getting ready for the Tbird. I've been debating the pre=order idea, but theres one problem....i asked my dealer about it and he said they can't give me a price ! Said they won't know what they need to charge till they get them. So i asked him what if i pre-order and the price is higher than i thought. he told me the deposit is non refundable. So if i plunk down the cash and it's more than i wanted to spend i forfeit my $500 ! So i'm curious....did you preorder with or without a quote of any kind, written or oral?

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really. I am at the point where a dime more than i have allotted is going to be hard for me. I had to sell a number of things to get what i need for this bike. And i'm not so much worried about a few bucks, but once they have my money they can charge $1k or more than they would have and i have no recourse but to lose the $500 or ear the extra $1k which i cannot afford. And trust me, they can do that because there prices normally are way less than other dealers. When i looked for my speedy the closest price i found to the dealer i go to was well OVER $1k more, and that was for a america ! (which was what i was going to get b4 i decided on a speedy) And the america was only $8k out the door at the dealer i go to, so imagine what they could add on a $13k bike. So once they have my money they could easily just match another dealer's price instead of using thier typical pricing and charge me well over a grand more and all they'd have to say is hey, thats the going price elsewhere ! So no, i ain't chancing that ! Like i said, i'm right at the edge of not being able to afford it as is. And even if i could afford much more, the dealer hasn't got any preorders so far so it probably doesn't matter. I'll probably have first shot anyways as long as i keep in contact with them and get there soon after they arrive.

By the way...i haven't jumped yet....i was going to get a EFI speedy before i decided firmly on the Tbird. So i still could go that way if i had to. But either way, i was going to sell the bike anyways whether for a EFI version or the Tbird.

·
Banned
1,041 Posts
I had a a full writeup when I put my deposit in. I needed it to take to the bank for my loan info. Now, I'm flexible on my end price as I added some more onto the total for gear but the dealer did have a price including delivery and tax and all the other added garbage. I'm surprised you can't get a final price since official pricing was announced from some time ago.

J

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, when i asked 2 weeks ago the salesman told me this. However, i called today to thier other store and this guy seems like he WILL be able to get a price, but he had to check into it and he will call me back when he knows. Still it could be a higher price than i could get if it were on the floor and i could wheel and deal the salesman. But we shall see.

·
Registered
518 Posts
well, i sold my speedy and getting ready for the Tbird. I've been debating the pre=order idea, but theres one problem....i asked my dealer about it and he said they can't give me a price ! Said they won't know what they need to charge till they get them. So i asked him what if i pre-order and the price is higher than i thought. he told me the deposit is non refundable. So if i plunk down the cash and it's more than i wanted to spend i forfeit my $500 ! So i'm curious....did you preorder with or without a quote of any kind, written or oral?
B.S! Your dealer is full of it. Triumph has already established the price. Back when I preordered mine there was an estimated price my dealer quoted me but once the actual price was released by Triumph my dealer called and told me whait was and it turned out to be several hundred dollars less.

Also, my dealer is not holding me to the purchase of the bike if I ride it and it is not what I was hoping for, unless I purchase a bunch of accessories.

Tell you dealer that the MSRP is listed on the Trimph we site, duh!

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
he knows what the MSRP is, but apparently they don't know what thier margin will be. In any case, i can't even consider a pre-order till i have it in writing. But like i said, according to them they will have plenty of them in stock.

I have in the past questioned how this will work....will the dealers get only enough stock for pre-orders and stock for general public sale later on, or will they get some that are not spoken for. I was told by someone at triumph USA that there should be some unspoken for bikes. But this dealer guy i talked to yesterday seemed to assume differently because he said that the owner intends to plunk down pre-order money out of his own pocket to get some bikes that were not pre-ordered so they can have some on the floor for sale immediately instead of down the road after pre-orders are filled. So either way i should be in luck. This guy is the largest dealer in the area with several stores, 2 of them that carry triumph and are huge. So unless he calls me back with some info that gives me reason to believe i may not be able to get one as soon as they arrive, i'm going to hold on to my deposit.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Now that I decided to buy another bike, I can't stand the waiting! I have an '06 America and I love the bike. But, like most of you, I'd like to get more power. I saw the bike in Daytona, sat on it, and liked it a bunch! In my mind I'm comparing the power to the Harleys and Victorys, but with the smoothness of the twin. Sounds like a great combination.
The end of June can't get here fast enough. I too can't decide if I should put up the $500 for a bike I didn't ride yet. Still thinking, I may call my Dealer tomorrow. He has assured me I will be one of the first to know when he gets his Demo.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Call the dealer and see what they might do and what they expect to come in. I called my dealer to ask if they have figured out what they will sell them for and told them i fear pre-ordering because w/o a agreed price they could charge me anything they want. he then said they have one ordered and that they themselves put the $500 pre-order money down to be assured of getting one. He than allowed me to put $100 down as a refundable deposit i can revoke if i find the price too high. Needless to say i did that. You might want to ask them a lot of questions about how many they expect, are any of them pre-orders, when any that aren't spoken for are expected, etc etc. Then maybe you can come to a decision or even put a deposit down as i did. I cannot freakin wait ! Should be torquing my way down the highway in about 2-3 weeks according to them.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Call the dealer and see what they might do and what they expect to come in. I called my dealer to ask if they have figured out what they will sell them for and told them i fear pre-ordering because w/o a agreed price they could charge me anything they want. he then said they have one ordered and that they themselves put the $500 pre-order money down to be assured of getting one. He than allowed me to put $100 down as a refundable deposit i can revoke if i find the price too high. Needless to say i did that. You might want to ask them a lot of questions about how many they expect, are any of them pre-orders, when any that aren't spoken for are expected, etc etc. Then maybe you can come to a decision or even put a deposit down as i did. I cannot freakin wait ! Should be torquing my way down the highway in about 2-3 weeks according to them.
If a dealer at this point can't tell you what he can sell you the TBird for and all applicable fees then they're not worth dealing with. I have known for over month now what the TBird I pre-ordered is going to cost me down to the penny. And when the dealership got word from Triumph that they would be able to offer the TB at a lower MSRP my dealer called me and said it would be the difference cheaper than I was quoted. Good luck to those of you who are dealing with those that can't be forth right and deal with you up front.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If a dealer at this point can\'t tell you what he can sell you the TBird for and all applicable fees then they\'re not worth dealing with. I have known for over month now what the TBird I pre-ordered is going to cost me down to the penny. And when the dealership got word from Triumph that they would be able to offer the TB at a lower MSRP my dealer called me and said it would be the difference cheaper than I was quoted. Good luck to those of you who are dealing with those that can\'t be forth right and deal with you up front.
You\'re missing one important point....your dealer obviously is not a high volume max discount dealer. Mine is. they are the cheapest dealer of the 6 or so in the so cal area and generally sell bikes out the door for whatever the list is. They were $1400 cheaper on thier quote for an america than another dealer was when i was looking at americas and speedmasters in \'05 ! So unlike your dealer they MUST see the invoice before quoting a price or they cannot give the lowest price they are capable of or they may lose money or sell too low to make a profit at least. Your dealer is giving you a price after they added tax licence and all fees and setup. So they have a large profit margin and can afford to give you a quote because they will make a decent profit even nif thier invoice turns out to be higher than they thought. Mine eats all that in the total, so theres very little margin and they have to see the invoice. Tax alone on $13k is well over a grand !

So no, my dealer isn\'t at all not being fourth right with me. In fact, when i told them how interested i am they offered to ask the owner to look into it before they receive the bike and invoice. Then went as far as to allow me to reserve the only one they have on order for a mere $100 deposit and told me it would be refundable if i didn\'t like the price to boot !! Nope, i wouldn\'t change dealers for anything. I got my speedy from them cheaper than anywhere and any dealings with them have been fine. I\'m actually quite impressed with them at this point. I bet your dealer wouldn\'t make the same offer to you, or most any triumph dealer for that matter. Especially when they only have one bike arriving in june.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You\'re missing one important point....your dealer obviously is not a high volume max discount dealer. Mine is. they are the cheapest dealer of the 6 or so in the so cal area and generally sell bikes out the door for whatever the list is. They were $1400 cheaper on thier quote for an america than another dealer was when i was looking at americas and speedmasters in \'05 ! So unlike your dealer they MUST see the invoice before quoting a price or they cannot give the lowest price they are capable of or they may lose money or sell too low to make a profit at least. Your dealer is giving you a price after they added tax licence and all fees and setup. So they have a large profit margin and can afford to give you a quote because they will make a decent profit even nif thier invoice turns out to be higher than they thought. Mine eats all that in the total, so theres very little margin and they have to see the invoice. Tax alone on $13k is well over a grand !

So no, my dealer isn\'t at all not being fourth right with me. In fact, when i told them how interested i am they offered to ask the owner to look into it before they receive the bike and invoice. Then went as far as to allow me to reserve the only one they have on order for a mere $100 deposit and told me it would be refundable if i didn\'t like the price to boot !! Nope, i wouldn\'t change dealers for anything. I got my speedy from them cheaper than anywhere and any dealings with them have been fine. I\'m actually quite impressed with them at this point. I bet your dealer wouldn\'t make the same offer to you, or most any triumph dealer for that matter. Especially when they only have one bike arriving in june.

Actually I believe you are missing the point. Let me explain; I am very good friends with the owner of the Triumph dealer here in OKC. And you are right they are not a high volume dealer, but they do move a few bikes. Anyway, When I inquired as to why you could not get a straight answer from you dealer he explained that it comes down to that dealer not having established the profit margin for the that particular bike. The cost of the bike for the dealer from Triumph is the same for all dealers no matter of size or volume. The only difference between dealers is the allotted amount of bikes they will receive from Triumph based on sales. It is up to the dealer to establish profit margin and determine how much they want to sell the bike for. They already know how much it is going to cost them so, if they want they "could" tell you how much they will charge you for the purchase. It appears that the dealer you are working with is trying to get a feel for how well the Tbirds are going to sell and then set a margin across the board for which sales can not go below. My dealer does not do that he deals with each person one one one and it is up to you as a buyer to work your own deal.

In other words what I'm trying to tell you is that your dealer knows how much the bike is going to cost them and there's no reason for them not to be able to get back to you within a few days to let you know exactly how much you can expect to pay for the Tbird, pre-ordered or not. Now whether you can get it chepaer than I, may be, but I have worked my deal and I am happy with the deal I have made.

Good luck.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
if they want they "could" tell you how much they will charge you for the purchase.
That doesn't jive at all with the fact they allowed me a $100 refundable deposit if i'm unhappy with the bike. If they knew the price why would they do that ...it makes no sense. Plus are you telling me i should go elsewhere and pay a lot more ? Because as i said they are by far the lowest here. I'm not sure why you would want me to go somewhere else and pay a much higher price and not have the ability to put down a $100 refundable depoist. Explain to me how i'm doing the wrong thing here! I'm just not seeing it.

My dealer does not do that he deals with each person one one one and it is up to you as a buyer to work your own deal.
Mine DOESN'T do that for the reason i explained in the last post....theres no room ! Like i said, the dealer i tried to buy an america from when i got my speedmaster would NOT accept the offer i made which was $1400 more than the place i got my speedy quoted me when a asked about the price on the america. Thats a huge difference. Your dealer is allowing you to make "your" deal because they are working with a higher margin in the 1st place and not selling at rock bottom prices to begin with. Chenaces are your del is, all things being equal, likely going to be more than I pay because you have to guess at how low a offer they will accept. Mine has prices that you don't haggle with because they can't ! I prefer that to having to haggle only to end up getting the same price i get now w/o having to say a word except "how much?". thinks about it....$1400 difference on a $8k bike. What would it be on a $13k one? And don't forget, the other dealer actually refused that offer, so who knows what the actual diff would have been.

·
Registered
119 Posts
:eek:
If a dealer at this point can't tell you what he can sell you the TBird for and all applicable fees then they're not worth dealing with. I have known for over month now what the TBird I pre-ordered is going to cost me down to the penny. And when the dealership got word from Triumph that they would be able to offer the TB at a lower MSRP my dealer called me and said it would be the difference cheaper than I was quoted. Good luck to those of you who are dealing with those that can't be forth right and deal with you up front.

Man, all sounds a bit fishy to mee, I inquired about one here in NZ, but all the hype from dealers and unassuring pricing was a real let down.
This whole pre ordering thing is a bit of a hype move, I guess it builds atmoshpere and a sence of urgency to get one. I don't need to be first, in fact I am happy to wait for the dust to settle and get better value for money.
Like all things the inflated pricing and margins tends to drop as demand reduses. I saw it with the Rocket 3's, and a few months later hey presto, some seriously hot deals, thousands less than the start price....
If your not in a hurry hang back, in these current economic times I need to screw for the best deal possible, not be held over a barrell for a dealers margin... I don't really care how much margin they make on the bike, but less is best, I know they make up for it with the servicing and crap they flog us as add ons.....

Unless your like me and custom fabricat everything, and do everything in house my self or by bartering.....

I am tight, as tight as a fishes bum, and thats water tight!

Looks like the bikes here are around 22k nz by the time the currency conversion comes through, fudge!:eek:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Margins 4 Dealers

Actually I believe you are missing the point. Let me explain; I am very good friends with the owner of the Triumph dealer here in OKC. And you are right they are not a high volume dealer, but they do move a few bikes. Anyway, When I inquired as to why you could not get a straight answer from you dealer he explained that it comes down to that dealer not having established the profit margin for the that particular bike. The cost of the bike for the dealer from Triumph is the same for all dealers no matter of size or volume. The only difference between dealers is the allotted amount of bikes they will receive from Triumph based on sales. It is up to the dealer to establish profit margin and determine how much they want to sell the bike for. They already know how much it is going to cost them so, if they want they "could" tell you how much they will charge you for the purchase. It appears that the dealer you are working with is trying to get a feel for how well the Tbirds are going to sell and then set a margin across the board for which sales can not go below. My dealer does not do that he deals with each person one one one and it is up to you as a buyer to work your own deal.

In other words what I'm trying to tell you is that your dealer knows how much the bike is going to cost them and there's no reason for them not to be able to get back to you within a few days to let you know exactly how much you can expect to pay for the Tbird, pre-ordered or not. Now whether you can get it chepaer than I, may be, but I have worked my deal and I am happy with the deal I have made.

Good luck.

Hi guys, over here the list prices are gold. Dealers have to sell bikes at the listed price. If they try to put prices up, as I understand it, they run the risk of loosing the franchise. Not to mention the fact that people will go elswhere to buy.

I guess, the best thing for each individual, is to ask the questions, and if your not happy with the response/ reply then hold the cards close to your chest and look around. Wish I was in the usa, you guys get em way cheaper than us, our dollar is crap.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This whole pre ordering thing is a bit of a hype move, I guess it builds atmoshpere and a sence of urgency to get one.
I agree. I think Triumph figured this way they could lock people in who are excited at the moment instead if taking the chance that the excitement would subside by the time the bike arrives and people would have changed thier mind by then or bought something else. Also they may have wanted a way of knowing what kind of production numbers they could safely build right off the bat. Who knows. I'm just glad i was able to reserve one w/o risk because i was really dreading losing an entire summer of riding. I do probably 85%-90% of my riding then. And at my age i don't have a lot of summers left, so i would hate to waste one of them.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yes sir!

I'm just glad i was able to reserve one w/o risk because i was really dreading losing an entire summer of riding. I do probably 85%-90% of my riding then. And at my age i don't have a lot of summers left, so i would hate to waste one of them.
I'm with you on this one Daz.

·
Registered
218 Posts
msrp

I agree. I think Triumph figured this way they could lock people in who are excited at the moment instead if taking the chance that the excitement would subside by the time the bike arrives and people would have changed thier mind by then or bought something else. Also they may have wanted a way of knowing what kind of production numbers they could safely build right off the bat. Who knows. I'm just glad i was able to reserve one w/o risk because i was really dreading losing an entire summer of riding. I do probably 85%-90% of my riding then. And at my age i don't have a lot of summers left, so i would hate to waste one of them.
Daz, I have been reading about you drooling over this bike for several years. The Quoted price is 12,499 dollars plus tax, dealer prep and registation. They might charge more for color. I think you like black bikes. You have been a loyal Triumph rider. Do they think they can mess you over after all these years? Everyone on the net has read your posts. I think they should commit to a sold price.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not sure what the point was joe, but yes, it's $12.5k. If you are eluding to my dealer not knowing, i didn't mean to say they didn't know the list price, they just don't know exactly what thier invoice cost will be.

As to color, I asked a triumph demo truck employee about the colors and she said $12.5k for any color...no diff in the price like with the speedmasters and americas that charge more for anything besides black. It's also reflected in the "build your own triumph" configurator, so it's probably true.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.