Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Street Triple Tail Pack (A9518033) big enough to carry A4 size documents? From the photos I've seen, I'm guessing it isn't, but would like to check first.

I'm in the market for something to replace my soft briefcase, and am looking at other kinds of bags. May end up getting a backpack, even though it's not ideal in the event of a getoff.

·
Registered
82 Posts
.............................., even though it's not ideal in the event of a getoff.
Can't answer your question but I would think a good backpack with proper strapping would be extra protection for the rider in a get off.

I have never worn a backpack on a bike but have followed many riders with them and developed this hypothesis regarding backpacks...................

Upper body positioning (weighting) is important in being able to handle tight turns.
A rider (especially a light weight) can gain some advantage by wearing a suitable backpack vs. carrying the same weight on a seat/tank bag.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I have the tail pack and unfortunatly you aren t going to fit A4 size doco. s in there without folding them. I use mine to carry my wet weather pants and puncture repair kits,minor shopping etc. The only problem with it is it makes it kinda hard to wear a backpack at the same time as the pack will rest on it.
;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't answer your question but I would think a good backpack with proper strapping would be extra protection for the rider in a get off.
That's indeed what some people have have reported after crashing with a backpack on. But on the downside, there's the debate about having an arm ripped off by wearing one and the increased risk of back injury in an accident.

I have never worn a backpack on a bike but have followed many riders with them and developed this hypothesis regarding backpacks...................

Upper body positioning (weighting) is important in being able to handle tight turns.
A rider (especially a light weight) can gain some advantage by wearing a suitable backpack vs. carrying the same weight on a seat/tank bag.
That may be true. But if it's not packed correctly, or contains heavy objects, a backpack can add a pendulum-like force to the slightest motions that would put you off balance easier.

In general I prefer to attach the load to the bike so as to lower the center of gravity. Since I often carry a laptop, books, etc., doing so also keeps the weight off my shoulders. OTOH, I have doubts about using a bungie net to secure a valuable load to the seat.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the tail pack and unfortunatly you aren t going to fit A4 size doco. s in there without folding them. I use mine to carry my wet weather pants and puncture repair kits,minor shopping etc. The only problem with it is it makes it kinda hard to wear a backpack at the same time as the pack will rest on it.
;)
OK, thanks for the confirmation. That's a good point how using the tail pack would interfere with a backpack.

On a side note, I like the way the tail pack mounts to the seat via zippers rather than straps. Looks very secure and easy to mount/dismount.

·
Banned
57 Posts
OK, thanks for the confirmation. That's a good point how using the tail pack would interfere with a backpack.

On a side note, I like the way the tail pack mounts to the seat via zippers rather than straps. Looks very secure and easy to mount/dismount.
Although not very large, the tailpack is great for small loads. I'll carry my SLR, a couple of soda and miscellaneous odds and ends in it. Like you said, it is very secure and very easy to take on and off. I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes to take a few things along when they ride.

·
Registered
42 Posts
CMC you'd be struggling - I can get my 39s in, no probs, but 45s would require a lot of slanting etc, and would also mean that you'd have little space for much else. I can get all my swimming stuff in, including small training flippers, but they're very bendy :p . Otherwise, I use mine pretty much every day - the lack of A4 space is indeed an irritation, but backpacks are out of the question for me now - right shoulder already operated, and fine, but left needs doing, so no swimming with arms, an no backpacks :mad:

The handiness is undeniable, dead easy to put on and take off, in next to no time.

Cheers,

Liz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts