Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Here's a question for the suspension boffins amonst you.

On a bend at speed, leaned over, the bike starts to rock back and forth a little. It's just a little, but noticeable. It seems to do it on any road, left or right.

I weigh about 12stone/ 170 lbs ish and the bike setup is standard (I think).

I assume rear shock needs adjustings. What is best to try?

Cheers!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ultimately, I think your experiencing first hand what all those magazines and reviews say about our speedie! It's a bit larry and a tad unsettling, just the nature of the bike (gives it some character you might say).

I would recommend to begin by checking tire pressure first. Then setting up your front and rear suspension to suit your weight better. I know upgrading the rear shock and getting a front stabilizer can smooth things out a bit too, but your still not going to get rid of it entirely from what I've read on the board. Maybe others with upgraded suspension and track experience can chime in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol Red, I think you may be right. My friend who was following on his Suzuki just said "maybe you were just riding at your bike's limits". Fair enough. We were riding fast.

Just don't remember my 955 doing it, but I guess that had a longer wheel base.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Roland, I had the same problem, till I learned to ride this bike. No offense, but it's your riding style. Speedy can be rock solid even while you are wearing your pegs down to nothing. Having your suspension adjusted will go a long way, but in the end it's how you mold your riding style to the machine. I had my suspension adjusted last summer, after having the bike for about a year and a half, and the guy just laughed because it was so out of adjustment. So trust me it’s not the suspension, even though having it adjusted is very beneficiary to faster riding.

I am going to assume that you are ham fisting the bars a bit. Speedy needs a very light touch on the bars. Fully leaned over you can steer this bike by holding the throttle with two fingers. It's not a type of a bike that needs muscling through turns, like a RC-51 for instance, but a very light touch and it will reward you with very reassuring lines.

I think this is part of the reason why some say the bike needs a steering dampener, which happens when you muscle a bike that just does not need it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DGA - I can assure you that I am taking those corners just as you describe - holding on like my life depends on it. :D

I am still also trying to work out the black art of suspension set-up.

All food for thought. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
379 Posts
DGA - I can assure you that I am taking those corners just as you describe - holding on like my life depends on it. :D

I am still also trying to work out the black art of suspension set-up.

All food for thought. Thanks for your input.
Try steer the bike with pedal pressure (if you are not already) it might make you loosen up on the bars a bit more.

I was thinking the same thing, till I took it to a local suspension race shop. That is all they do, bike suspension and nothing else. It made a world of difference and I don't think he took 5 minutes.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I'm thinking seriously about upgrading my forks at the moment. I’ve just had some feedback about Speedy’s front end from 2 suspension guru’s and both reckon the S3 has one of the worst front ends ever made. Apparently the problem is compounded here because of our poor roads.
I’m still waiting for figures, but they reckon it’ll be the best money I could spend on this particular bike.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
No doubt spending money with the suspension guys is the best money you can spend on the S-3 ( or ANY bike...), but I think "worst suspension ever" is a huge overstatement.

The S-3 is essentially a 10 or so year old sport bike, temper your expectations accordingly.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm thinking seriously about upgrading my forks at the moment. I’ve just had some feedback about Speedy’s front end from 2 suspension guru’s and both reckon the S3 has one of the worst front ends ever made. Apparently the problem is compounded here because of our poor roads.
I’m still waiting for figures, but they reckon it’ll be the best money I could spend on this particular bike.
Mate if you're near Auckland you should see Norm Cobb at suspension Tech - He did the forks on my Street Triple and was quite a bit cheaper than Robert Taylor and is really accomodating. Absolute gentleman and a perfectionist.

P.S Get the Ohlins too!!!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Mate if you're near Auckland you should see Norm Cobb at suspension Tech - He did the forks on my Street Triple and was quite a bit cheaper than Robert Taylor and is really accomodating. Absolute gentleman and a perfectionist.

P.S Get the Ohlins too!!!
I'm no where near Auckland dude! Still waiting for a price, but if I do go ahead, it'll be a combination of Shaun Harris, Robert Taylor and a Race-Tech kit specifically for the S3!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would like to know why they say its one of the worst front ends ever?
What has changed between 07 and 08?

Also have you set static sag and then worked from there?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Racetech now list them as "05-09 Triumph Speed Triple"
Used to be 05 to 07.

They also saying
"Left fork Rebound, Right fork Compression GV kit available; Race Tech shop installation only at this time"
So unless your local...........!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anything changed internally with these forks? , besides black tubes and brembo's
The Left fork Rebound, Right fork Compression adjustments were on the 05 to 07's ?????

·
Registered
379 Posts
Its not worst ever. Our forks are at least adjustable HD's are not. ;-)

Anywho, the front springs in the Speedy are progressive, which is kind of unusual. Front springs and maybe a re-valve, about $500 with labor, will have you dialed in on the fronts. The trick is finding someone who knows what they are doing.

As for the rear...Ohlin’s is the way to go. Spendy but worth it from what I hear.

If you want your bike to handle the best it can, you are about $1,500 and a qualified shop away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts