Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new T100 will be left in Cocoa Beach Florida unattended for about 6 months every year - the summer and fall. Although the bike will be in a garage and under a cover, what do I need to do to protect the paint and bright work to keep it from rusting away in the high heat and coastal saline humidity? I'm especially concerned about the corrosion-prone spoked wheels and various nuts and bolts. I've already gone through the whole bike and packed the electrical connectors with dielectric grease.

Thanks

Dick

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Fla Storage

Its hard enuff keeping the bike nice using it! Ya might try a coat of wax (no wipe off) & spray silicone on some areas? Its hard on Bonnes here!! Corrosion & rust the biggy! Make sure there is good ventilation in thwe garage. Salt air lingers!!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
storage

I'm in north florida, and have found that the worst thing with a stored bike here is condensation.
It gets hot during the day time and cools down at night. So does your bike. What happens is in the early hours of morning, it starts to warm up and your bike is cold so it automatically "sweats" moisture.
get a box fan and a timer. Hook a battery tender and the box fan to an extension off the timer. Set the timer to run the fan and tender for about four or six hours, starting from about four am until about ten am or so, the fan and tender will kick in and blow air across your bike and evap the condensation as well as tune your battery up.
I had the worst case of rust on my rims and spokes without that fan, got it cleaned off, added a couple of coats of "protect all" which has carnuba wax in it.
I have not had that problem again.
Hope that helps you. If you're really concerned, bring the bike over to my place and I'LL make sure it gets ridden now and then.....lol......

·
30,527 Posts
Get one of those huge vacuum bags and put it in there. As well as sucking the air out throw in some moisture absorbing stuff.

I believe they make special vacuum bags for motorcycle storage.

This isn't what I was talking about, but along those lines:

http://www.carguygarage.com/mostbag.html

This is what I was talking about:

http://www.vac-bags.co.uk/bike.htm

A different one along similar lines to the first:

http://www.sheltersofamerica.com/motorcycle-bag-motorcycle-bags.htm

I might have to consider some of these when winterizing my bikes.

If you can afford multiple Bonnies, you can probably afford a 100 dollar bag to keep the hell and tarnation off them.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
As Prop stated Dick, completely entomb the bike in a vaccum bag. Even with a conventional cover on the bike you will trap moisture that wicks up through the concrete and in the ambient air.
Cheers,
George

1 - 6 of 6 Posts