Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found an aftermarket oil filter to suit the 1050 engine?
My local Stealer charged $30 for a Triumph filter and i get home and i open the box and the writing is all in chinese:eek: so i figure i am paying about $29.80 too much. Must be someone in Oz who has an alternative?
The local Repco said that they had no Ryco filters the same but there must be something else that fits. Thanks folks.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Nev

The following can all be purchased in Oz. ;)

Oil Filters - Oil Filter X-Ref list
* HiFloFiltro : Old Part# HF191 / Updated Part# HF204
* Honda spin-on filter - 1 5410 mm9-013 (Stock Length)
* K&N Oil Filter - Old Part # KN-191 (Has 17mm hex nut on bottom - Stock Length) / New Part # KN-204
* Purolator Pure-One - 14610 (3.25" Long)
* Purolator Pure-One - 14612 (Stock Length)
* Ryco - Part # Z445 (Stock Length)

I am currently running the Purolator 14612 which I bought from Supercheap Auto for $15 and so far so good. :)This is easier to remove than the stock length but is more susceptible to being damaged if you scrape your underbelly. The Purolator 14610 is the stock length if this is a concern to you.

I would steer clear of the HiFlo and K&N filters they are made by the same manufacturer only difference is the nut on the K&N for easy removal. I had one on my TL and blew the bigend bearings probably due to insufficient oil pressure. I heard of a similar problem on a Hayabusa that used the same brand filter.

The Ryco Z445 has been used by others with Sprints with success.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
I am running the Perolator 14477

·
Registered
764 Posts
They are the same filter for the 1050 and 955 engines.;)

Steven The Chef is going to have problems if he is using a Purolator L14477 filter it has an imperial 3/4-16 UNF - 2B thread on it:eek:

Check out this website http://www.purolator.com.au/index.php?page=filterlookup to verify what I am telling you.

The Triumph definitely has a M20x1.5- 6H metric thread on it.

The Purolator L14610 is the better filter because it has more filtration surface from the extra height and less pressure drop than the L14612.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I really like the K&N oil filters. Easy removal with the built in nut and they are a much heavier construction. I had something knock a hole in a stock Triumph filter and went for an interesting ride, I did manage to keep the shiny side up! Since then I will only use the K&N for the extra protection for road debris!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good info from you Ralphus. :thumbsup:Thanks heaps. I found 2 of the Purolator 14612 at Super cheap and asked about ordering the 14610 and he said that there were none available at any S/ C stores Australia wide ? and he wasn't sure if they were still stocking them. As a result i got the 2 for $5 each . They are a good looking filter and i look forward to trying them. Cheers, Nev.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Massey Ferguson

I've found a nice cheap $75.00 Massey Ferguson 135 Multi Power Tractor filter works well in mine.

Although it does make my exhaust a bit smelly :confused:

Do Perkins Deisels have that problem too?

I'm not very technical but I thought if it's good for a 3 cylinder Perkins it must be ok for my Trumpet, it is a little bit longer than standard and finishes about 150mm below the sump, but I guess that helps keep the oil cooler doesn't it?

Anyhow just thought I'd be helpful;)

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
764 Posts
The list is growing

Nev

Nice pick up at Supercheap.:thumbsup:

The following can all be purchased in Oz.

Oil Filters - Oil Filter X-Ref list
* HiFloFiltro : Old Part# HF191 / Updated Part# HF204
* Honda spin-on filter - 1 5410 mm9-013 (Stock Length)
* K&N Oil Filter - Old Part # KN-191 (Has 17mm hex nut on bottom - Stock Length) / New Part # KN-204
* Purolator Pure-One - 14610 (91mm Long)
* Purolator Pure-One - 14612 (Stock Length)
* Ryco - Part # Z445 (Stock Length)
* Ryco - Part # Z457 (86mm Length)
*Valvoline V050 (85mm length)
*Valvoline V054 (stock length)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Ralphus,

That is helpful info, not as helpful as my Tractor filter but I know you are trying hard to help.:p

Would you like to post that in Panthers_Den's parts sticky?

DaveM:cool:
Dave

I have got a mate called Woolly who once made an oil filter out of dunny paper for his Kwaka GT750. I'm sure he would be happy to knock up a version for your Sprint and Daytona if you are interested.:laughhard:

I have posted the additional filters on Panthers Dens parts sticky.

Cheers

Ralphus

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
I'll have to check it out Ralphus. I might be wrong :( and I bought a few of them on sale too! Bugger.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
I'm a dick. I went to do the oil change on my Toyota Avensis - and guess which oil filter the 14477 is for ? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
At least you have got one vehicle covered.:D
and filters for the RS
and the Subaru Outback
and the Kubota Tractor
and another that I am not sure which car it belonged to! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts