Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone measure the free length of the fork tubes when it's sitting on the side stand for me ? from the seal to where it goes into the axle carrier.... just the chrome part. Please.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Can anyone measure the free length of the fork tubes when it's sitting on the side stand for me ? from the seal to where it goes into the axle carrier.... just the chrome part. Please.

What you are trying to accomplish now?
Just ride the damn bike!

·
Registered
361 Posts
this number will be different for every bike with different preload settings, and compression settings due to stiction.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
What Darkhorse said. As pretty much everyone has adjusted their static sag with the individual rider weight on board, everyone's riderless suspension sag will be different.

CYNCRZR, what are you trying to figure out?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Dispelling the doubt...

Just ride the damn bike!

Oh you're a fine one to talk... But no, I'm not trying to swap the forks for Ohlins or anything... well not yet.

Just trying to re-assure myself that I haven't all of a sudden lost some ground clearance or fork travel.

Long story boring... yesterday I scrapped both sides of the Belly Pan while riding. Earlier in the day, a buddy made mention that there isn't much "Travel" to the fork... as in not a lot of fork tube exposed on the Speedy compared to the CBR600 parked next to me.

I know I ride the bike hard, I've 13k miles since I got it in may, and with the new Bridgetstone BT016's, I'm really comfortable pushing the bike through corners.

So I was just lookin for a Sanity Check, Mine measured 4.25 inches exposed. If someone else has 6", I'm gonna be concerned!

BTW, I used to be a die-hard Pirelli guy, but the BT016's are by far the best tire I've ever run. Looks like I'll get 3k outta the rear, 4 - 4,5k outta a front. They really stick. I only got 3k outta the Pirelli Diablo Rosso's and these work way better.

Cheers y'all

·
Registered
235 Posts
At the risk of insulting you......
Was your butt planted square in the seat or did you hang off and weight the inside peg when you scraped? I'll assume the scraping was done in a turn. If not, time for Weight Watchers!

Where I'm going with this is that if you shift your body center line to the inside and weight the inside peg, you will need less lean angle.

I'm 210lbs (Yes I do need Weight Watchers) and have had it down to the point of almost low side and never scraped.

·
Registered
361 Posts
+1000

Plus, if you try to ride smoother, you'll load your suspension less. Try rolling on to the brake at the same time as rolling off the throttle. It'll help with the ground clearance issues somewhat. Having extra left over travel in your suspension also gives you a better safety margin for emergencies, etc.

In any case, I have heard of people complaining about draggin the belly pan before. Its prob just a poor design.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
S3Junkie - So what you're saying is ... You're a Dick ?

Martin - Thanks that's re-assuring. Since the thing looks like it's been sand blasted already, I aint too upset over some Battle Wounds

·
Registered
89 Posts
Because I get at least another 25 horse power, and 17 mph on my top speed (only if it's waxed of course). The fly screen gives a similar amount.
It's hard enough to tuck behind the fly screen, So to tuck behind the belly pan must be for experts:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts