Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 38 have owned motorcycles on and off my entire life. All brands and models except crotch rockets. I traded my V-ROD in on a truck about 9 months ago. I am now considering a Triumph. Either an America or a Speedmaster. I really like the Triumph look and image over Harleys. My only hesitation is the dissappointing horsepower and torque numbers. I am not a speed demon, but don't want to be left in the dust by other riders either. I have begin researching big bore kits and anythnig else to boost the numbers. While I can afford larger payments than a stock Triumph, you can't finance a big bore kit. I am starting this thread to ask opinions on Triumph power from other seasoned riders with varied motorcycle experience. Thank you

·
Registered
165 Posts
I went from a ZRX 1200r to a Scrambler. Don't miss the HP. Let the other guys get the tickets. Of course I'm over 50 and break a lot easier now. Just remember, you don't have to be as fast as I am to be as cool as I am.:D

.............................................................Ego over ride disengaged.

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
LMAO of mm1ut1 :)

gburke70 welcome to the forum.. I would personally share your caution with the power if purchasing the Speedmaster but the fun factor is right up there and they'll keep up with most Harleys on the straights but especially blitz them in the twisties.

For a cruiser, they handle really well IMO.

The Rocket III is a formidable bike and an impressive powerhouse - even to look at. They handle much better than you would imagine. :D

Have you considered a Speed Triple? Now that's a bike!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See, Triumph was listening : 2010 Thunderbird will be my next bike. I can't decide between black or blue though...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Silver Ain't Bad Either

See, Triumph was listening : 2010 Thunderbird will be my next bike. I can't decide between black or blue though...
I found a nice silver one at Bike Week yesterday. It was nice, but not a Bonneville!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey i had a night rod special, 123 bhp, and i've test ridden the Rocket 3. For me the NRS had guts in every gear and you could ride through town in 1st all day long,top end speed 153 mph faster than any harley and would beat the rocket 3 after 100 mph. The Rocket didnt have much in 1st gear but 2nd and up was unbelievable and a really comfy ride ideal for touring but i didnt feel very confident on corners, id recommend this bike for touring even without the accelleration it gives.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See, now I am second guessing myself. I truly love the Speedmaster. Specifically the 2002-2007 black and red model. I don't care for the new tank. I will probably end up getting a used one and seeing exactly how much torque and horsepower I can get out of the engine. I see a 1087 big bore kit. Can anyone tell me if this is as big as it gets and is it reliable enough for a daily driver?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind. I am just not a fan of the radiator. I had a liquid cooled Vrod before and never really liked the radiator hanging off the front of it. Think I will just spend 10K+ on a Speedmaster motor, over time of course. Is there any difference in motors between 2002 and 2007? If so, which is prefered?

·
Registered
575 Posts
My only hesitation is the dissappointing horsepower and torque numbers.

Take an advanced rider course, maybe attend a racing school. Hone your skills and you'll never be left in the dust by the more powerful bikes. Unless drag racing light to light on your way to starbucks is your thing horsepower really isn't all that important on public roads.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Having a 120+ hp D1200 in the garage, and having got rid of a D955i and replaced it with a Thruxton I can safely say that I was put off the Thruxton for a long time because of its lack of numbers in the power dept. I was wrong. Since I made the change guess what? Its the Thruxton that gets ridden all the time. I don't miss the HP torque numbers at all. I still ride pretty quick but now I enjoy myself instead of worrying about keeping up with or beating others in the numbers game. The Thruxton is a mechanicaly simple, pretty looking, fun factor filled breath of fresh air.

My advice is forget the numbers. Buy the bike you like the style of. Get your grin back and wear an open face szo the world can see it ;)

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
gburke70,

If you're interested in a copy of the Triumph magazine with an article on the 2006 America and speedmaster, check your PM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you to everyone for your replies. I will be getting an 02-07 Speedmaster as soon as I get back from my next deployment. October timeframe. I will be on alot while I am deployed, so you will all be seeing a lot of me on here.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thank you to everyone for your replies. I will be getting an 02-07 Speedmaster as soon as I get back from my next deployment. October timeframe. I will be on alot while I am deployed, so you will all be seeing a lot of me on here.
Godspeed to you. A Triumph is a great thing to look forward to.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
I just read the posting on this RocketIII? I would like to here more about this masterful motorcycle. I was amazed with the Rocket's capabilities....how long has this great looking bike been around.

I think it is the best from what I can see and I am being objective. :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've got a 2004 Red & Black Speedmaster.

Red goes faster.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts